An Early flight Experience

Lawreston

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Harley Reich
I was at a regular gathering at a local pub Friday night and saw a fellow I hadn't seen in a few years. He was a long time wrecker/towing service operator.
Knowing that I fly he commented that he'd just bought a light aircraft. He's 71 years old but started flying when he was 16.

Many years ago -- decades -- an acquaintance called him and asked if he'd like "to go flying in my Cub." Well, sure he would. This was quite early in Bud's flying days and up they went to about 10,000 feet. It was a grand flight for quite some time until the engine flat-out quit. ??????? The pilot put it into a glide(obviously) for some time, keeping descent to a minimum. When they were at about 5000 feet, still without engine, the pilot told Bud to "take the yoke and hold it just like this." "What are you going to do?" was the obvious question. "Oh, don't worry about it; I'll figure something out."

So Bud had the yoke and then observed the PIC climbing out onto the strut where he proceeded to hand-prop -- and start -- the engine. ???????

The pilot? Bob Weymouth from Dresden, Maine: the Original Flying Farmer who later did that stunt at air shows for many years.

HR

Back