An Awkward Situation....Opinions Wanted!

You say arguing.. I say discussion. That's the point of a forum isn't it?

I'm not just going to say OK and accept anything anyone tells me. Especially people on the internet whom I barely know and never met. I'm not going to be spineless

I will however exchange my opinions and ideas freely with anyone else here who cares to, and will take those of others who may know more than me into due consideration. I ask that y'all do the same for me.

This discussion prompts me to think of this article. http://aviationknowledge.wikidot.com/sop:hazardous-attitudes

Below is a snip from the article. As a casual observer of the discussion so far, I have italicized #2 and #3 since they appear relevant. Read the rest of the article to see how these attitudes are handled. And more importantly, look at the end of the article for a link to the self-assessment.

Best of luck to you.
These attitudes were formulated by Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in response to a commission by FAA Federal Aviation Authority to develop and validate training programs to address the problem of poor pilot decision making.
All pilots must be fully aware of these attitudes and be able to avoid them as they have strong negative impact on decision making and judgment at the flight deck.

Hazardous Attitude 1: Resignation
'Whats the use? Forget it I give up!'
When operations at the flight deck don't go as planned or when confusion arises, it is human nature to blame it on fate. However, in aviation 'leaving it to fate' might and most probably compromise the safety of the flight. It is essential for all pilots to remain proactive and also reactive. The countless SOP's, rules, regulations that have been placed for flight operations were formulated to assist flight crew to tackle and troubleshoot every possible

Hazardous Attitude 2: Anti-Authority
'Why should I listen to you?'
This attitude usually surfaces upon people who have non conformist tendencies. Pilot that express such an attitude are usually resentful towards comments and/or advice from others, be it superiors or subordinates. The also tend to disregard operating procedures, rules and regulations. However, there is a fine line that lies between 'anti-authority' and the natural prerogative to question to authority especially when there is an error suspected. Many mistake anti-authority as a solution to balance out the 'power gradient' in the cockpit. Hence it is only wise for pilots to bring up issues that they feel go against protocol after checking and rechecking.

Hazardous Attitude 3: Impulsivity
'Do it QUICKLY!'
This occurs to pilots who feel the need to do anything, immediately. Such people who display such attitude work on the concept that 'doing something is better than doing nothing'. Such an example of impulsivity occurs particularly in the ab-initio stages of flight training. For example when facing unusual attitudes such as a descending turn, most pilots would pull back on the control column on impulse. Doing so would cause indicated airspeed to increase dangerously, hence proper procedure would be to throttle back before applying back pressure. Acting on impulse is dangerous as it usually involve uncalculated and irrational actions.

Hazardous Attitude 4: Invulnerability
'Nah I dont think it'll happen to me!'
Despite the fact that mishaps in aviation do have a rather low percentage probability, many still rest assured on this fact and oft take it for granted. Such attitudes would compromise vigilance and cause pilots to overlook certain issues that they feel are of less importance (going thru checklist twice, good lookout). Remember accidents can happen to ANYONE!

Hazardous Attitude 5: Macho
'Come on! I can do this!'
Pilots have a tendency to show how good they are. Many associate this attitude with males (especially those who display alpha male characteristics) but such an attitude can also happen in females. It occurs when pilots are trying to prove themselves in the wrong way, which often results in taking unnecessary risks.

Lol if i even say anything I'll get pointed right back to the hazardous attitudes won't I...

At this point it probably doesn't matter. A wise fellow once said "when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is stop digging."

Lol if i even say anything I'll get pointed right back to the hazardous attitudes won't I...

Yeah I never really decided what doors I'm going through in the future. Everyone assumes I'm after airline work. I figure it's really too early in the game for me to decide which way I'll go. I know the training I do now will affect what options are available later so I've keep that in mind as well.
I agree that you should keep all your options open. There are lots of things that are more interesting than airline flying, in my opinion anyway. Besides, just by reading this thread I can see that the airlines might not be a good fit for your personality. They are very standardized and regimented by necessity. The crews need to be able to work interchangeably so everyone needs to do things the same way. They also have a certain image they want to project which doesn't seems to fit your image of yourself. In your personal life you can be whoever you want to be but your employer is paying you to look and act in a certain way as well as for your skills. It's much easier if you are more or less that way naturally rather than having to force yourself to conform. Luckily there are many kinds of jobs in aviation. You just need to find your niche.

Welcome to PoA where if you want opinions there are plenty of people with them! :)

As far as your OP....I'd say she probably had more then enough volunteers and you didn't fit the bill for what she was looking for...if she needed you she probably would've asked for you to clean it up a bit but she wasn't desperate for your help. Just like dating - if you have 3 suitors arounn and two of them are not quite as good as the others you give them a reason why they won't work they can't argue out of. Find another volunteer place where maybe you can fly in an airplane. I hear that the studentpilotjournal guy and the other podcasters get to go fly in airplanes...maybe that can be your nitche...podcast something.

My penny thoughts.

K, let me take one more stab at this. Some accuse you of arguing or resisting what they are telling you. Perhaps that is unfair. The original post was about an aviation event in which you were snubbed and you thought it unfair. Most of the people here have said it was not unfair which has led to much discussion. I agree with this point of view in that I would have treated you similar in THAT SITUATION. Your point of view remains that it is unfair but you might could comply with it to get the job you want. There is the rub.
There are precious few jobs and many are low paying that require you to conform to what you are resisting. If you cut your hair, sew up the ears, remove the tats and shave, then you only have an equal chance of one of those few jobs. Do you want that chance bad enough to completely change your image? I am not sure you know the answer yet. That is fine. Nothing you believe or think is fair is going to change this. It just is and will be for a long time to come.
As some have said there are other flying options. I suspect flying freight in Alaska is one of those. I doubt many up there give a rats azz what you look like if you can drive a plane. I suspect there are similar jobs in many third world countrys. I suspect the pay would be better also because of supply and demand.
Nobody on this board wants you to change anything or cares if you do or don't. In fact you never asked anyone if they thought you should change your appearance. You have been told that IF you want into the exclusive club of flying people for a living be it 121,135, or 91 then yes you will have to WANT to make some changes and yes it is fair. Every game has its rules whether it be football or flying. It is what it is.
BTW, this is a great place to discuss all things aviation. Enjoy it!!

K, let me take one more stab at this. Some accuse you of arguing or resisting what they are telling you. Perhaps that is unfair. The original post was about an aviation event in which you were snubbed and you thought it unfair. Most of the people here have said it was not unfair which has led to much discussion. I agree with this point of view in that I would have treated you similar in THAT SITUATION. Your point of view remains that it is unfair but you might could comply with it to get the job you want. There is the rub.
There are precious few jobs and many are low paying that require you to conform to what you are resisting. If you cut your hair, sew up the ears, remove the tats and shave, then you only have an equal chance of one of those few jobs. Do you want that chance bad enough to completely change your image? I am not sure you know the answer yet. That is fine. Nothing you believe or think is fair is going to change this. It just is and will be for a long time to come.
As some have said there are other flying options. I suspect flying freight in Alaska is one of those. I doubt many up there give a rats azz what you look like if you can drive a plane. I suspect there are similar jobs in many third world countrys. I suspect the pay would be better also because of supply and demand.
Nobody on this board wants you to change anything or cares if you do or don't. In fact you never asked anyone if they thought you should change your appearance. You have been told that IF you want into the exclusive club of flying people for a living be it 121,135, or 91 then yes you will have to WANT to make some changes and yes it is fair. Every game has its rules whether it be football or flying. It is what it is.
BTW, this is a great place to discuss all things aviation. Enjoy it!!

Fair enough lol.

Once upon a time I flew boxes between Seattle and Oakland in the middle of the night and between Seattle-Spokane-Richland during the day. No one cared what I looked like. Find a job as a freight dog.

(Of course, connections I made while in that job led to the right seat of a Lear...who is to say that my appearance might have played a role?)

Bob Gardner

Lol your time here pays off.. I'm jealous of some of the adventures you go on. Hell with your tits I'd be a more complete player in this pilot world

FTFY...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Only you'd probably look funny with moobs.

I always got a kick out of the "anti-authority" one clashing with the "we're allowed to question anyone" attitude of crew-coordination.

I've watched "authoritative" people totally screw up things in multi-pilot aircraft enough that I'm not going to check my "anti-authority" attitude 100% upon boarding the flying machine, ever again.

Temper it and ask politely, yes. But there are times when being ever do slightly anti-authority will save you, and likely any passenger's asses.

"You sure you want to do that... sir?" ;)

Alaska is a definite possibility. I think pilots up there are required to have tats and piercings .. . (I fly up there)

I have tats (they can be covered by wearing socks and short sleeves) no piercings or holes.

I was offered a 6 figure professional job yesterday.

I really don't think I would have rec'd that offer if my tats were visible.

The bottom line is if someone is going to trust you with an expensive asset, they want to feel comfortable with you. Tats, piercings, etc make many people UNcomofortable.

I was aware of where I was heading in life when I got my ink. So I placed them accordingly.

PS I won't date a girl without tats, I like mine wild!! :D

-Rob

FTFY...:rofl::rofl::rofl: Only you'd probably look funny with moobs.

I thought I was a pimple-ridden 16 year old boy that paid POA members at a fly-in to lie about who I really am?

Oh and to the OP - I know there are a lot of different opinions on this now very long and very interesting thread. Each of these people took the time and thought to reply to you which means they are most likely trying to help. It can be hard not to take offense but if you read or re-read each lengthy reply I hope inside of it you can find the good instead of the bad.

I am not vouching for everyone personally, and you must remember that the "aviation world" is just like the "real world" - inside you will find good people, bad people, and so-so people.

I have had good and even bad experiences now so I know that not all pilots are "good."

I suspect, K, if you really were concerned about conservative reactions to the full beard, the tattoos, and the piercings, you could easily modify the scary parts without relinquishing 'who you are' or sanding off the tattoos at huge expense. The thing is, fairly or unfairly, some of those things you mention, may seem to scream "Hey, lookit me!" to the uninitiated, and unfortunately, might be considered evidence of immaturity, poor judgment and societal hostility. People who might otherwise be drawn to your wonderful inner self might have a hard time getting past a startling exterior. (I can barely give my order to the little magenta-haired, massively-tattooed chickie at Applebee's. Those things don't bother me. But every time she openth her mouth to athk a quethtion, the big gold stud clicks against her teef. Uggggghhhhh. It's just a personal hangup of mine. )

Have your most obvious facial and ear piercings served their purpose and you're ready to move on? That's probably the thing that disturbs conservative folk the most, and it's an easy and relatively inexpensive modification. As you suggested, having a plastic surgeon sew up the gaping ear holes, and letting the smaller piercings close on their own is possible. Experiment with keeping the beard if it means a lot, but try trimming it nicely, maybe dashing-sea-captain style, which would get you pretty close to mainstream without selling out entirely.

Tattoos that aren't blatantly offensive are less an issue than they used to be, so long as they aren't openly profane and thus insulting to others, revolting to the squeamish- like spiders crawling up your neck, or bloody daggers, or tacky- like girls that belly-dance when you flex your arm. I know one very successful military officer who's commanded her own ships, a totally delightful and squared-away gal, who has full sleeves, and I'm not sure how much more. And drives a big motorcycle. Her competence and hard work, apparently has spoken enough louder than her unconventional body art that she's advancing through the ranks with impressive speed. Her next command is likely to be a very big boat indeed.
So- play with the possibilities. It's likely you'll find a way to be who you are, and still not frighten the horses.

So what is that on this commercial pilot's arm (not the greatest contrast):

TattooedPilot.jpg

Found the image here:
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Travel/Belize/BelizeAndItsPeople.html

So this is what happens to pilots with tattoos: they work in Belize. :)

OK, Horus, you're in Texas, east of SAT, south of DFW, which makes me think Houston. Or College Station - but I just cannot picture the whole assemblage you've described getting by in Brazos County!

We're around - if you're headed this way, give some warning, and I'll buy supper... even if you scare me!

Ok so after constantly hearing about and experiencing this community vicariously through Kimberly for long enough, I figure it's about time I joined and posted; besides I had an experience recently that troubled me quite a bit, and I'd like to share my story with pilots and other members of the aviation community out there and get some opinions and feedback.

Without getting into my long life story and how I got to where I am now, let me say that after years, and being convinced it would never happen, I'm finally getting my chance to take a crack at being a professional pilot. I'm in training now, and progressing rapidly. Currently I hold a private certificate, single and multi rated, and am working on instrument. Fun stuff! I've had flying on the brain for as long as I can remember; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was in my genes somewhere. I'm sure I'm not the first to feel that way. During all those years leading up to now, and unfulfilling they were, I tried all kinds of other things. I collected some tattoos and piercings along the way.

Before anyone gets excited, yes I know I have to cover all that up, and cut my hair etc etc etc etc to get a flying job. Fact is, this is who I've been for the past 10 years, and unlike many people these days, I'm not the type to change my look along with my underwear. Changing the face I've grown accustomed to is not going to be easy, and so long as I'm in training, I don't really feel it's a major concern. I have several months to go before I hit CFI, and I think when the time comes to be ready, and perhaps with a bit of gentle persuasion and encouragement, I'll be ready. So far no one I've encountered in the aviation world notices, much to my surprise. I'm judged as a pilot, and not for what I look like, which is how it should be. Hell, the right hand guy to the owner of my flight school also sports a beard, plugs, and a few tats himself. Anyhow, before I ramble on too long, the story......

I went to my first airshow ever last year. We have a pretty major one here, to my understanding. I won't say where just yet. Last year when I went I knew I was starting training soon, I was timid, and unsure of myself. This year however the story had changed. I was an official pilot, my confidence had grown leaps and bounds, I felt (and do feel) a part of the community, here and anywhere. I wanted more out of going to the airshow; I wanted to rub elbows with the pilots, be closer to the aircraft I admired, take part in making the airshow happen! Besides, just sitting in the grass all day gets boring. Its a much more fun, productive, privileged, important, and belonging feeling to be involved. So I went about registering to volunteer. I started that process in July, and the event just happened this weekend. It took some time to finally get through but I did. I stayed in touch with the volunteer coordinator, who spent some time getting to know me, and being very friendly. Lets skip ahead.

It's the day before the airshow. I went down to the field to help with last minute setting up, and because I was advised to for general orientation type stuff, and to meet the lady I had been talking to all those weeks. Once I track her down and she finds out who I am, I can see her face fall. The entire experience was extremely awkward. I could tell that most I encountered forced their politeness. I didn't get it; it wasn't as if I had showed up looking like I was going to a punk show. I dressed appropriately and I kept my "appearance" to a minimum. The trip ended with being told that my piercings, though removed, were still noticeable, that my hair was too long and it would be too awkward; that there were many WWII vets who would be uncomfortable, and there were a lot of wealthy people attending that may have had to do with airshow funding that might have been offended by my looks etc etc. I felt it was highly degrading. Are we there to look at the planes or the guy selling the tshirts and hats? I left feeling they had no room for anyone who wasn't a perfect white conservative, christian (yup that was brought up too), military, specimen (sorry hope no offense to anyone here). One of my friends at school is an Indian Muslim girl from UAE. She wears the traditional head scarf thing to cover her hair. What would they have told her if she had volunteered?? I was told I'd be called later if they could find anything for me and that either way I already had the tickets and to just come see the show. I mentioned that I would be willing to do anything behind the scenes as well and that I just wanted to take part, but I didn't press as I was already feeling offended and didn't want to seem desperate. Of course the call later reported they had extra volunteers ergo no need for my help, and I declined to go not wanting to support what I felt was a discriminatory group of people. In a short text message exchange with the volunteer lady after the airshow in which I expressed my feelings on what happened, I was explicitly told that I was rejected for my appearance. This lady spent several weeks getting to know me. I expected better.

So I'd like to know what other pilots out there think. Was I stupid to try volunteering at an airshow? Is my look really that offensive regarding a casual, supposedly fun, aviation outing or event? This whole thing rattled me good, I doubted myself, and my choice to pursue a life in aviation. The volunteer lady gave me a long speech about how If i was older than 21 I was way past due to grow up, and cut my hair, and how it was a shame that i did that to my ears. She went on about how I was joining a "military, NASA" world and I needed to play by the rules. I didn't like the way she put things. I know I'm going to have to adopt a more professional look eventually, but the way she had put it made me feel like i would be doing it to appease someone else and not for myself. I didn't like that feeling at all.
So far I've asked a few friends some pilots some not. They think it's ridiculous. My instructor was shocked (and he's a conservative guy! won't even swear...lol) saying you went to VOLUNTEER, how did they turn that down?? I did express in my post airshow text to her that I disagreed; I hadn't noticed a huge military presence in the aviation I had experienced (more than half the students at my flight school are foreign! Indian, Middle Eastern, and Asian) and that I don't believe every airshow is going to be like that. She said she'd never been to any others. Ha!

I'm curious to hear what everyone has to say!
Sorry for the long post, but since none of you know me yet I felt a bit of background was necessary.

Welcome to the real world. People judge books by their covers. First impressions matter. And people judge you by the company you keep.

You've made choices, for better or worse, now it's up to you to accept the consequences of those choices.

You can choose to conform. Or not. What are your principles worth?

OK, Horus, you're in Texas, east of SAT, south of DFW, which makes me think Houston. Or College Station - but I just cannot picture the whole assemblage you've described getting by in Brazos County!

We're around - if you're headed this way, give some warning, and I'll buy supper... even if you scare me!

Considering Wings Over Houston was this past weekend.... Houston is a good guess. The show is getting dated. The ramp more empty. They need $$$. It's no wonder they were sensitive to things that might turn off big donors. OSH or Reno might be different, but Houston is still the bible belt and oil capitol.

Considering Wings Over Houston was this past weekend.... Houston is a good guess. The show is getting dated. The ramp more empty. They need $$$. It's no wonder they were sensitive to things that might turn off big donors. OSH or Reno might be different, but Houston is still the bible belt and oil capitol.
I was at WOH this weekend, but I wouldn't say that I agree with the generalizations made about the show... based on the OP.
Oh, and I had an aircraft there, too...

Ryan

I suspect, K, if you really were concerned about conservative reactions to the full beard, the tattoos, and the piercings, you could easily modify the scary parts without relinquishing 'who you are' or sanding off the tattoos at huge expense. The thing is, fairly or unfairly, some of those things you mention, may seem to scream "Hey, lookit me!" to the uninitiated, and unfortunately, might be considered evidence of immaturity, poor judgment and societal hostility. People who might otherwise be drawn to your wonderful inner self might have a hard time getting past a startling exterior. (I can barely give my order to the little magenta-haired, massively-tattooed chickie at Applebee's. Those things don't bother me. But every time she openth her mouth to athk a quethtion, the big gold stud clicks against her teef. Uggggghhhhh. It's just a personal hangup of mine. )

Have your most obvious facial and ear piercings served their purpose and you're ready to move on? That's probably the thing that disturbs conservative folk the most, and it's an easy and relatively inexpensive modification. As you suggested, having a plastic surgeon sew up the gaping ear holes, and letting the smaller piercings close on their own is possible. Experiment with keeping the beard if it means a lot, but try trimming it nicely, maybe dashing-sea-captain style, which would get you pretty close to mainstream without selling out entirely.

Tattoos that aren't blatantly offensive are less an issue than they used to be, so long as they aren't openly profane and thus insulting to others, revolting to the squeamish- like spiders crawling up your neck, or bloody daggers, or tacky- like girls that belly-dance when you flex your arm. I know one very successful military officer who's commanded her own ships, a totally delightful and squared-away gal, who has full sleeves, and I'm not sure how much more. And drives a big motorcycle. Her competence and hard work, apparently has spoken enough louder than her unconventional body art that she's advancing through the ranks with impressive speed. Her next command is likely to be a very big boat indeed.
So- play with the possibilities. It's likely you'll find a way to be who you are, and still not frighten the horses.

Thanks for the advice and input! :) Nicely put...

Well Brazos is south of here... Houston is in Harris and so is the airshow.
Will do, and thanks for the invite! Though most of my flights anywhere are training oriented and the stops if any will be quick.

I think I've made myself sound more scary than reality.

Don't I know it. I'm not a native Texan or southerner either. I grew up in NY...

I was at WOH this weekend, but I wouldn't say that I agree with the generalizations made about the show... based on the OP.
Oh, and I had an aircraft there, too...

Ryan

Which generalizations? Ha you might've seen me! I was the freak (apparently) riding around in a red golf cart during snowbirds practice on friday afternoon. At least I got a little taste...

K,

Kim told me some of your story when we hung out this week. So you encountered some hag with a stick up her a$$ who didn't like you or was offended or whatever. So what? It happens. You've gotten some pretty good advice already, so I don't have much to add. But if you want to volunteer, I'm sure there are plenty of organizations that wouldn't care how many tats or what kind of piercings you have. Fly kids with Young Eagles. Join Pilots & Paws and fly dogs. You get the idea.

Aviation is a pretty small world. And as others have noted, the airlines and many part 135 ops are run by older white guys. And, like anyone, they are most comfortable with someone who looks/acts like them. Is it fair? Of course not. But it is what it is.

You say you aren't necessarily interested in the airlines. Nothing wrong with that. No one cares what you look like flying freight. Or ag flying. Or pipelines. Or whatever.

If you are a smart, safe pilot, the aviation world as a whole won't really give two ****s what you look like. But if you do decide you want to pursue some of those niche careers, you probably should start saving now for the plastic surgeon and the laser treatments.

I'm also giving thought to taking the job hunt abroad... as I mentioned before I don't know how realistic that is.

As of now I don't own a plane and can't afford any flying outside of training really. But I'm sure there's other volunteer work. My main goal is to just keep doing any and all things aviation.

This thread is worthless without pics.

How "professional" do you plan to take it?

If you are sporting sleeves, etc, you're going to have a VERY hard time going 135 or 121.

Do you have tats on your neck and face? Hands?

How many holes in your face? Ears? What gauge?

If the holes left by your gear was noticeable enough to an old lady to nix it, I think your path to a professional career as a pilot is likely to be fraught with disappointment.

We can't even have a beard/goatee is the US 121 world. Holes, visible tats, etc are going to be frowned on in a serious manner. People don't hire "rebels", and whether you are or not that is the message tats and holes convey, to fly their million dollar aircraft.

I've been on hiring teams at an airline and several small outfits. Ive seen the things people are rejected for be they right or wrong.

I got my ears pierced on spring break one year. I got home from the trip and was eating breakfast at the island in my parents kitchen. My pops walked past me, came back with a pair of pliers, sat them on the island next to me and said... "You can take them out or I will..."

You really need to post a pic, we could tell you more from that.

This thread is worthless without pics.

How "professional" do you plan to take it?

If you are sporting sleeves, etc, you're going to have a VERY hard time going 135 or 121.

Do you have tats on your neck and face? Hands?

How many holes in your face? Ears? What gauge?

If the holes left by your gear was noticeable enough to an old lady to nix it, I think your path to a professional career as a pilot is likely to be fraught with disappointment.

We can't even have a beard/goatee is the US 121 world. Holes, visible tats, etc are going to be frowned on in a serious manner. People don't hire "rebels", and whether you are or not that is the message tats and holes convey, to fly their million dollar aircraft.

I've been on hiring teams at an airline and several small outfits. Ive seen the things people are rejected for be they right or wrong.

I got my ears pierced on spring break one year. I got home from the trip and was eating breakfast at the island in my parents kitchen. My pops walked past me, came back with a pair of pliers, sat them on the island next to me and said... "You can take them out or I will..."

You really need to post a pic, we could tell you more from that.

I don't know yet where I'm going, I'm just concerned with training first. I don't even have a full sleeve and it's just one arm. No face neck or hands. That kills more than just pilot oppurtunies!
Just one hole in my ear that's pretty big, everything else is a no factor as far as closing and disappearing. I'll note that i still wear something in it so it's not as if i've left it to start closing yet.
I know everyone wants a picture. I may or may not post one still undecided

If you want to be a professional pilot, give up the ear hole. If its small enough to close on its own, I'da been letting that joker close up since yesterday.

If you're serious, act it. Professional pilots don't sport plugs in their ears.

A tat on one arm? Will a long sleeve shirt hide it?

May be hope for you yet.

Last edited:
Yup tattoos all hide with long sleeves. I've thought of all this stuff before I ever started training..

Yup tattoos all hide with long sleeves. I've thought of all this stuff before I ever started training..

So.. If you understand these things will be a burden to you, why are you still wearing something in your ear?

I was always a goatee guy. ALWAYS.

I had to get rid of it for an interview.

I don't like the way I look with a goatee anymore..

Well I'm not really in a place where I HAVE to change things around just yet.. I'm still exploring all my options. And it's hard to change 10 years...Not impossible, just takes some getting used to. But I quit smoking and I never thought I'd be able to do that! Just woke up and didn't smoke.. here I am almost a year later... So anything is possible.

Then I'd say get used to the old lady's reaction.

There is a line between commercial pilot and hobby pilot. Your plug is totally cool on one side. Not gonna cut it on the other, if fir nothing more than "just because.". There is a "mold" most professional pilots are expected to fit.

Personally, I'd have no issues flying with a guy with tats, plugs or shaggy hair. I would however, wonder if he was lost when I first saw him on the ramp at an FBO.

I gave interviews at a flight school I used to work at, where a kid who was instantly was nicknamed "Tacklebox" showed up one day. This school held "interviews" to be accepted. They were mostly a joke, but were kinda there to weed out the "less than properly motivated" applicants. We told him if he was serious, pull all the gear out of his face and get a hair cut and "come see us tomorrow."

He showed up the next day with a healthy trim and not a lure to be found.

It's amazing what can cost you a job in the aviation world.

I've seen guys go home for purple suits, no coat and tie, 3rd class medical when a 1st was required, forgotten driving record and other things and these are just the ones i remember.

If I wanted to make a career of it, I'd be looking for ways to get a leg up on the other applicants rather than clinging to something that will be detrimental to my cause.

re the body-art and hardware: I have a dear friend who's a noted photographer. He shakes his head at the otherwise very attractive young men and women he deals with, and says, "Why do they do that to a pretty body? Seems to me it's like painting graffiti on a Ferrari."

re the body-art and hardware: I have a dear friend who's a noted photographer. He shakes his head at the otherwise very attractive young men and women he deals with, and says, "Why do they do that to a pretty body? Seems to me it's like painting graffiti on a Ferrari."

I agree with that. I'm ambivolent about tattoos on men, but I really dislike them on women.

On a potential significant other, I could probably live with a small one on the ankle, but large ones or buttcrack tattoos are a deal killer for me.

I agree with that. I'm ambivolent about tattoos on men, but I really dislike them on women.

On a potential significant other, I could probably live with a small one on the ankle, but large ones or buttcrack tattoos are a deal killer for me.

Tramp stamps are soo cool!!

Back