An awesome spring in movies [na]

poadeleted3

Pattern Altitude
The new, and supposedly last, Star Wars movie, War of the Worlds, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy are all out this spring. We've got to get a babysitter!!!

Should I read the Hitchhiker book before going to see the movie?

Joe Williams said:

Read it before, after, and during. It's that good.

Joe Williams said:

I don't know how much of the books the movie will cover but read the entire series (4 primary books). They're all connected, well, sort of anyway as much as the series connects to anything. Then go see the movie.

You can probably find a bound volume with all the books for about the price of each individually. As usual, used bookstores are your friends.

Personally I'll wait until it's on TV or borrow a DVD if someone I know gets it next year. Movie theaters are too loud and insane for me. I quit going to them in 1991. (You should NOT be able to hear the movie clearly from outside the building)

fgcason said:
I don't know how much of the books the movie will cover but read the entire series (4 primary books). They're all connected, well, sort of anyway as much as the series connects to anything.

I was under the assumption that all 5 books were considered part of the trilogy?

The last one (if you buy the ultimate hitchikers guide...) is called Young Zaphod Plays it Safe or something like that, and that's not related.

NickDBrennan said:
I was under the assumption that all 5 books were considered part of the trilogy?

The last one (if you buy the ultimate hitchikers guide...) is called Young Zaphod Plays it Safe or something like that, and that's not related.

Correct. (I have the 1st edition leather edition that has a binding typo BTW) It's probably fairly safe to assume Young Zaphod isn't going to be in the movie since it's out of the main sequence quite a ways. IMO: 1st four books are mandatory. Young Zaphod, optional but recommended. If halfway through the first book you run to the store for the second book, you might as well get it overwith and buy them all in one binding.

fgcason said:
Correct. (I have the 1st edition leather edition that has a binding typo BTW) It's probably fairly safe to assume Young Zaphod isn't going to be in the movie since it's out of the main sequence quite a ways. IMO: 1st four books are mandatory. Young Zaphod, optional but recommended. If halfway through the first book you run to the store for the second book, you might as well get it overwith and buy them all in one binding.

Right, but what about the fifth book? It was called Mostly Harmless.

1. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2. The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
3. Life, The Universe, and Everything
4. So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish
5. Mostly Harmless

I say that Mostly Harmless is essential as well. Young Zaphod is just an unfinished work.

All the Books in the trilogy are still in print. The last book isn't as good. He should have stopped at 4. Always amazes me that it all started out as a BBS radio series.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Restaurant at the End of the Universe
Life, the Universe and Everything
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
Mostly Harmless

Last edited:
NickDBrennan said:
Read it before, after, and during. It's that good.

Yeah, but as with all book->movie conversions, it's probably best to watch the movie first to avoid the disappointment.

Then, go read the books afterwards, knowing that all of us here heartily recommend them!

-Rich

Back