An Apple a day

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
Sprint to start selling them in mid-October. i5, and 4.

I have a three year old Berry World Phone which has been great. Also sturdy given the number of falls it has survived. It does what I need it to do.

But it is three years old. I like the Touch well enough. I also like typing on the berry, probably better than the Touch. But the berry is primitive now.

Are you using the Berry with a Corporate BES mail server, or just normal e-mail servers?

The reason I ask is, nothing beats the Berry handling Exchange mail correctly through a BES server. Nothing. Not even my beloved iPhone. (Exchange integration is buggy, and requires the company have their OWA/external servers set up correctly for it. Not all do.)

If you're addicted to the e-mail integration with a corporate mail server, stick with the Berry. The iPhone does okay if the environment is "just right", but I've had a number of problems with calendar requests on the iPhone with my corporate Exchange system. To the point where I never EVER accept an appointment on the phone. I do it later on the desktop.

Apple's still got a ways to go on Exchange integration, and they're not highly motivated to do it, really. It's "okay". Microsoft's own Outlook for Mac works tons better but does suffer from some bugs against certain versions of Exchange.

(See, those who think I'm a raging Apple fan boy will be shocked.) ;)

This is my personal berry, so, it's just yahoo mail and gmail. Texting (which doesn't work in Europe for some reason).

The above emails, Facebook and surfing. That is all I do. And phone calls.

Phone calls!? Who'd want to do that with a smartPHONE? ;)

(Thus, the reason I just dropped AT&T and moved to the VZ iPhone, since AT&T can't seem to pull their heads out of their ... ahem ... here in Colorado.)

I'd say you'll probably have a pretty good experience doing any of the above on just about any smartphone these days. Android or Apple iOS based... wouldn't really matter on things that popular.

Yahoo Mail and Google Mail on the iPhone also both integrate to Yahoo Calendar, and Google Calendar if you want those synced into the phone. The phone does a pretty nice job of displaying all your calendars in one place, or letting you view just one of them.

You can also sync "Notes", which is an Apple thing, mostly. The Notes App on the iDevices then will have the same notes on all of 'em, and Mail.App on a Desktop Mac would also... via Yahoo or Google.

I currently have these things all syncing into the iDevices:

- MobileMe - Mail, Contacts, Calendars (multiple... shared with my wife), Bookmarks, and Notes.
- Gmail - Mail (turned off the Calendar, I'm not using it right now.)
- Yahoo - Mail, Calendar (airplane calendar - co-owners can also see it, but we've been bad about using it... with only three of us, a quick "any conflicts?" e-mail is easier right now)
- Exchange (Corporate Account) Mail, Contacts, Calendars

It does a good job of separating or merging the views for all of the above. "All Inboxes" works great just to see if anything new has come in anywhere. Calendars set to "All Calendars" is a great way to see who's booked what (since my wife's calendar is also in there) and make sure we're not double-booking something.

I can't really speak for how Android handles all of this junk, just sharing what this gadget does. Have had a number of Crackberries in the past, and they worked well for their time, and connected to a BES server they really shined.

iPhone ain't perfect... neither is Android... but with over 100 Apps installed on the iPhone, it'd be a huge pain to move platforms. Haven't seen anything compelling enough to move me over to something else yet, but eventually -- it'll happen. :)

That or the iPhone 5, 6 and 7 will come out with something interesting. You never know. ;)

When I go to the Ipad, must I change my E-mail?

or will the Comcast thing still work.

If Comcast has standard e-mail I can't see why not. A quick Google search turned up both SMTP and POP3 server setup instructions for iPhone as well as an "Xfinity App" for iPhone under their new branding. Seemed to indicate that one could get to mail and other stuff with it. I wouldn't want to use an App for that, but it's out there. Maybe it does stuff like schedule a DVR if you're not home or stream video or something. I didn't read the description real close. Was just on a hunt for Comcast iPhone on Google real quick. ;)

iPhone apps run on the iPad but if they're not iPad enabled by the developer they have to be "stretched" to fill the entire screen.

Back