An Amazing Airline Record...

True story: I was flying the red-eye from Phoenix to West Palm Beach in the waning days of Eastern Airlines, with the obligatory change of planes in Atlanta. I got off the airplane in Atlanta at 5 a.m. and checked the monitor to get my connecting gate information, and it was flashing "see agent." I went to the agent and said "I'm supposed to be on flight XYZ." Without even looking down, he said, "Oh, you must be Mr. Ibold." I said, "It's that bad, huh?" He said, "You're the only passenger. We're not going to fly it."

The irony of this story is that I had flown to Arizona to research a story about how Eastern management was violating its labor contracts by subcontracting maintenance work to Evergreen in Marana. I guess Fate understands poetic justice very well.

Do the African continent's countries still hold the unoffical record for bad aviation/arcraft safety as well ?

Dave Krall CFII said:
Do the African continent's countries still hold the unoffical record for bad aviation/arcraft safety as well ?
No, it still belongs to the Chinese.

bbchien said:

I figured it belonged to one of the two, but with all their "reporting" such as it is, who knows for sure ?

Dave Krall CFII said:

Judging from the sky blue tails littered far and wide I thought it was the Koreans.

bbchien said:

I bet it's a close race though, especially if you count utility flights. I flew into a mining camp with my buddy who runs a service in the Congo, 16 stripped, crashed Cheyennes were shoved off into the jungle next to the landing strip.

bbchien said:

Bruce, you are always a ray of sunshine in my life.

I'm in Seoul today, but I'm headed to Beijing and Shanghai via China Airlines some time later this week.

Perhaps the negative results of the generally poorly trained, but arrogant Chinese pilots have overtaken those of the virtually non-existent preventative maintenance practices of the African countries' airlines...

Back