Amplified Impedance Converter

Dean

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dean
Has anyone here used an amplified impedance coverter adapter to use military headsets/helmets in a GA aircraft? If so, were you happy with the results?

I bought a cord with an impedance converter from a vendor at EAA/Oshkosh to use with my USAF issued David Clark headset (that I'd paid for before separating from the USAF because I couldn't find it to turn in during squadron outprocessing, then found it where my kids had hidden it well after we'd moved to our new home). I don't recall what I paid for the converter, but I wish I hadn't bought it. It didn't work at all, the microphone seemed to be completely dead and the earphone audio was weak to the point that I couldn't hear the instructor I was going to fly with on my first flight with the converter. We shut down the airplane and I quickly ran to the FBO and bought a cheap headset so we could get the flight in. The cheap headset worked perfectly, so I know it wasn't the airplane.
I ended up installing a new David Clark mic and replacing the earphones and cord with the Headsets, Inc. Active Noise Reduction kit, and now the headset works perfectly. Of course it no longer is a USAF aircraft compatible headset, the only things original are the head band, mic boom, and the earphone shells. I'd say save your money unless you can afford to throw it away experimenting. Then again, maybe you'll be luckier than I was. By the way, the Headsets, Inc ANR conversion works VERY well.
Scott Wilson
Appleton, WI

Has anyone here used an amplified impedance coverter adapter to use military headsets/helmets in a GA aircraft? If so, were you happy with the results?

My helmet came with military gear and some converter and it worked like crap. I just changed out the cups and the boom from a low cost headset, though if I need it again, I may upgrade to Zulus inside.

Back