Amitriptyline - Basic Med

J

JohnDoe13

I had several bouts of migraines between March and May 2020. After onset of initial migraine, I was prednisone to treat the actual migraine, which worked, as well as amitriptyline as a prophylactic medication for migraines. After the last migraines cleared up in mid-May 2020, I stopped taking amitriptyline and have not used it since.

I know amitriptyline is not accepted by the FAA but what do I need to do in terms of notification.

To note. At the time I first started got the migraines and took the amitriptyline I had Basic Med, but was not actively flying, and in fact have not flown since then. My Basic Med needs to be renewed, which I why I bring this up now.

You have no reporting requirements. On a regular medical, you're obligated not to fly but you don't have to tell anybody why. On basic med, it's up to you and your doctor as to whether it is disqualifying and you need to self-assess on any flight as to whether the drug or the underlying condition are unsafe to fly with.

You need to report all medical conditions every in your life, doctors appointments within the last 3 years, and CURRENT medications. If you haven't taken amitriptyline since 2020, there's no reason to mention it on your medical certificate application. You'll need to document that the migraines are until control. Just make sure than your medication list in any documents you provide is up-to-date. Many applications are delayed because medications (like amitriptyline) are still listed as active even though they we're stopped long ago.

You need to report all medical conditions every in your life, doctors appointments within the last 3 years, and CURRENT medications. If you haven't taken amitriptyline since 2020, there's no reason to mention it on your medical certificate application. You'll need to document that the migraines are until control. Just make sure than your medication list in any documents you provide is up-to-date. Many applications are delayed because medications (like amitriptyline) are still listed as active even though they we're stopped long ago.
That applies to medical applications. It sounds like he's got an expired basic med and looking to reestablish it.

That applies to medical applications. It sounds like he's got an expired basic med and looking to reestablish it.

That is correct. My basic med expired a few months ago.

Though as state above if I decide to get a Class 3 (or better) in the future I would have to disclose the amitriptyline. Would documenting that the migraines are under control be as simple as my doctor stating that I haven't had a migraine in X years?

That is correct. My basic med expired a few months ago.

Though as state above if I decide to get a Class 3 (or better) in the future I would NOT have to disclose the amitriptyline. Would documenting that the migraines are under control be as simple as my doctor stating that I haven't had a migraine in X years?
Fixed.

There's a migraine CACI worksheet for headaches, and you'll need a note from your [treating] physician saying you met the criteria.

Last edited:
What is a training physician? Does he have two little wheels on the side? There's no need to do anything CACI for basic med. It's up to you and your physician.

What is a training physician? Does he have two little wheels on the side? There's no need to do anything CACI for basic med. It's up to you and your physician.
It was supposed to be "treating." And I was answering his question about what he'd need to do if he wanted to get a 3rd class.

BasicMed is all about self certifying. So long as you don't develop a new mental, neurological, or cardiovascular condition requiring a one time special issuance medical certificate, it's between you and your physician.

BasicMed is all about self certifying. So long as you don't develop a new mental, neurological, or cardiovascular condition requiring a one time special issuance medical certificate, it's between you and your physician.
It's not even "self certifying" (an obsolete term left over from previous glider rules). You do the online course and your doctor signs the CMEC. That's it.

Basic Med pilots are no different than those who hold medical certificates. We're all supposed to assess our fitness to fly every time we go out. That's the crux of the online course.

Back