Ames, IA Breakfast April 11

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
I just got word that the ISU Flying Cyclones is holding its annual spring pancake breakfast on April 11, 8AM-Noon. PIC eats free. Email amesflyin@iastate.edu with questions. Ill post more if I learn more. Unfortunately I likely wont be there, this usually turns out to be a pretty cool fly in.

I will also be unable to attend as I will be where Tony should be, where "FLYING GLIDERS IN MARFA WEST TEXAS" will likely be heard by all on the radio.
Tony, if you do come up with a plan that doesnt involve a real job but the bills magically get paid and we can fly all day, let me know about it!

I just got word that the ISU Flying Cyclones is holding its annual spring pancake breakfast on April 11, 8AM-Noon. PIC eats free.
Haven't seen any more information about this one, but the weather Saturday looks like it's going to be good, so I'm planning to go.

Should be a good fly-in again. Last year I think it was cool and windy, but wx this year looks great!

It's a good fly-in in that it gets the whole community involved. The fire department brings some trucks out and lets kids oogle over them. Last year we got a Blackhawk out there to everyone to look at. Several clubs from ISU display their wares. Skydiving, gliders, helicopter rides, etc. etc. etc. It's a busy place with quite a bit to see and do.

It's the first scheduled fly-in in Iowa for this season, so hopefully they'll get some people that have been itching for $5 pancakes. ;)

I'll be there. The trip will be a little complicated for me - since AMW is my home field, I have to go up early and fly somewhere else, so I can come back for the breakfast.

A pilot's life is so complicated.

well the sun is rising in Ames and it is a beautiful day. Im bummed that I will miss the flyin but it seems that there should at least be a good turnout of airplanes, being the first breakfast of the season and all.

There was. :D

No kidding! They had planes coming out of their ears! I ended up helping park planes because it had become a royal cluster... Which leads me to the conclusion that a LOT of people need to re-study their hand signal knowledge. Good grief. :incazzato:

Other than a few frustrating "WTF ARE YOU DOING!?" moments while parking planes, it really was a GREAT fly-in. I actually heard that they ran out of coffee and juice, which means attendance exceeded expectations. Had as many (or more) cars than airplanes which is good for the airport.

A few pics:

1.) Jay doing a good job of selling more Zodiacs. ;)
main.php

2.) Me returning from one of the previously mentioned "WTF!?" episodes.
main.php

3.) One of Rachel's friend's kids - they were trying to get him to pose for a picture, but he kept getting distracted by the planes taking off. Who can blame him!?
main.php

4.) An absolutely GORGEOUS 195 in attendance. It was set up with full IFR inside, too. AMAZING!
main.php

Last edited:
I thought about flying up to this event today, but as usual went to the airport and checked the weather and it was a no go, too much wind for a safe flight. Maybe next time.

doh..totally missed this thread.

I actually heard that they ran out of coffee and juice, which means attendance exceeded expectations.
Yup. I didn't get a single cup of coffee. Did get two servings of pancakes and bacon, though.

1.) Jay doing a good job of selling more Zodiacs. ;)
main.php
I spent a LOT of time standing there talking to people about the airplane...even while I was doing my preflight and getting ready to depart. That airplane draws a lot of attention.

4.) An absolutely GORGEOUS 195 in attendance. It was set up with full IFR inside, too. AMAZING!
main.php
Indeed. Truly gorgeous airplane. The panel wasn't close to original; that might offend the purists, but I loved it. I bet that airplane would go for six figures.

The "195" is actually a 190, FWIW. (It has a Continental instead of a Jake, but is otherwise basically the same thing). If anyone likes the paint job and needs one like it, I hear the paint shop is in Nebraska. The 190 owner and his father both decided to get their planes repainted a few weeks ago because the shop is doing work at cost just to keep their employees on the payroll. That's all I know, but I bet an interested party could find out more with some googling and a phone call or two.

The turnout was HUGE yesterday. I was very impressed with the number and quality of aircraft present, as well as the ignorance of the non-flying public. I had to tell a woman not to let her child slide down the elevator on my 140, and a local Texan owner had a teenager get belligerant when asked to stop touching the aircraft. A kid climbed on a Stearman wing, too. I just don't get it.

Off topic: Mooney Priep

As for me, I had my first chance to fly a Mooney (20F), and it was delightful. I sat in the left seat. I don't care much for the original airbag wing leveler - the ailerons always felt heavy, whether or not the leveler was activated. The Johnson bar is cool, but it would take me a few more tries to operate it with grace. (I think it has a benefit that I've never heard anyone mention before: it's such an obvious, deliberate, kinesthetic operation that I think it may be harder to omit from a checklist than flipping a little switch.) I love the hand pump for the flaps, too.

The descent angle was shallow, but nothing out of the ordinary to this glider pilot. Flaps and gear helped bleed off airspeed, but I ended up landing with partial flaps, just because I felt low on final. It floated and floated and floated, but I didn't let it touch down until it was ready. No bounce at all. (Yes!) I guess I was 5-10 kts hot on final, but as I typically do on a first flight, I was just flying by feel and not trying to hit a specfic airspeed number. Worked out fine.

Now I want one (even more than before).

The "195" is actually a 190, FWIW. (It has a Continental instead of a Jake, but is otherwise basically the same thing).
I was curious about this, and looked at the engine..the data plate says it's a Jacobs.

I was curious about this, and looked at the engine..the data plate says it's a Jacobs.

Weird. My info came from a local 195 owner, so I guess I didn't question it. I didn't get a chance to poke my nose in the cowl myself. Sorry.

Weird. My info came from a local 195 owner, so I guess I didn't question it. I didn't get a chance to poke my nose in the cowl myself. Sorry.

Any details on where the bird is based? Was it there just for the fly-in or was it having some mx done at Hap's? It's a shame they had it parked around the corner like that. It should have been front-and-center!

Any details on where the bird is based? Was it there just for the fly-in or was it having some mx done at Hap's? It's a shame they had it parked around the corner like that. It should have been front-and-center!

Council Bluffs, I think.

m

great! thanks for the pictures. glad to hear that there was a good turnout.

Hmm... that M20F must have been converted to the Johnson bar from the electric gear. The one I fly still has the electric gear. I'm quite happy with it and really prefer having the switch to make the gera come down, rather than having to manually raise and lower it.

Looks like a great time! Glad you all had fun.

Ok, a little info on 190/195s.

There were in the neighborhood of 280 Cessna 190's made. They had the Continental 670s on them. The way you can tell if it is a Continental vs a Jake is that on the Continental, the pushrods are on the back of the engine VS the front on the Jake. There are a TON of 220 HP Continental 670s out there on Stearmans, etcetera, but since the Cessna 190 had a constant speed prop on it, and the only airframe Continental made the constant speed 670 for was the Cessna 190, there just weren't that many made. As parts became increasingly difficult to find for the Cessna 190 Continentals, more and more 190s had the Jake put on them. That effectively makes them a 195, but according to the FAA, they are still 190's. My plane is like that.

Bottom line is, even though the airplane may be called a Cessna 190, it does not necessarily mean that it still has a Continental engine on it. If you see pushrod tubes on the front of the engine, it is a Jake, and that plane has been converted. If you DON'T see pushrod tubes, then it is the original Continental.

Hmm... that M20F must have been converted to the Johnson bar from the electric gear. The one I fly still has the electric gear. I'm quite happy with it and really prefer having the switch to make the gera come down, rather than having to manually raise and lower it.

Looks like a great time! Glad you all had fun.

Hmm. I can pretty much guarantee that no Mooneys have been converted from manual to electric gear and Vica Versa.

FWIW, I think I would much prefer a manual gear to an electric one. Same with manual flaps, truth be told.

Ok, a little info on 190/195s.

There were in the neighborhood of 280 Cessna 190's made. They had the Continental 670s on them. The way you can tell if it is a Continental vs a Jake is that on the Continental, the pushrods are on the back of the engine VS the front on the Jake. There are a TON of 220 HP Continental 670s out there on Stearmans, etcetera, but since the Cessna 190 had a constant speed prop on it, and the only airframe Continental made the constant speed 670 for was the Cessna 190, there just weren't that many made. As parts became increasingly difficult to find for the Cessna 190 Continentals, more and more 190s had the Jake put on them. That effectively makes them a 195, but according to the FAA, they are still 190's. My plane is like that.

Bottom line is, even though the airplane may be called a Cessna 190, it does not necessarily mean that it still has a Continental engine on it. If you see pushrod tubes on the front of the engine, it is a Jake, and that plane has been converted. If you DON'T see pushrod tubes, then it is the original Continental.

Interesting, so it can still be classified as a 190 if it has a Jacob's b/c the owner could have swapped engines. This one was indeed a Jacob's - I looked at the data plate on the engine as well. It also had the '195' painted on the top of the tail, but that's nothing more than cosmetics. Should have looked at the airframe data plate (are they under the tail like on other planes?).

Well you could always split the difference, and call the conversion jobs 192.5s :D

Hmm. I can pretty much guarantee that no Mooneys have been converted from manual to electric gear and Vica Versa.

The owner of the Mooney I fly said that there were some that were converted. Apparently, the electric gear had some problems, causing a number of people to want to convert. Whether he's right or not I can't say, but that's the source of the info. The M20F I fly has electric gear.

FWIW, I think I would much prefer a manual gear to an electric one. Same with manual flaps, truth be told.

I like electric/hydraulic stuff that has a manual backup. :)

Interesting, so it can still be classified as a 190 if it has a Jacob's b/c the owner could have swapped engines.

WILL be. The official paperwork does not change with the change of engines. I found that out when mine got changed.

Should have looked at the airframe data plate (are they under the tail like on other planes?).

Well, if SOMEONE would have gotten an N number... :rofl:

Well, if SOMEONE would have gotten an N number... :rofl:
I did. It's N195DS:

N195DS is Assigned

Aircraft Description

Serial Number 7272 Type Registration Individual
Manufacturer Name CESSNA Certificate Issue Date 06/25/2002
Model 195 Status Valid
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code 50275432
MFR Year 1948 Fractional Owner NO

Registered Owner

City UNADILLA State NEBRASKA
County OTOE
Country UNITED STATES

Airworthiness

Engine Manufacturer JACOBS Classification Standard
Engine Model L6 Category
A/W Date None

even if they would've written it down, all the drooling woul'dve made it illegible...

Definitely. And I just posted pics of the exterior. The interior was equally immaculate. And the panel would make a Lear driver drool.

Definitely. And I just posted pics of the exterior. The interior was equally immaculate. And the panel would make a Lear driver drool.

There was a 195 down here a month or so ago that had a 530, HSI, and Flight Director. i think it was a sun n fun and oshkosh award winner.

Back