America's top dog breeds

Would have thought that Goldens are higher on the list.

I hate those lists. Most German Shepherds in the US are badly bred poor representations of the breed, only most people don't know that.

Best dog I ever owned was an Irish Setter / Golden mix.
Second best was an Irish Wolfhound.

My uncle has had a series of Labradogs, and they've all been terrific. When we get our first post-child puppy in a year or two, it'll probably be a golden or lab.

I'll Bet "Mutt" is #1.

For anyone who is interested, there is a great article about the genetics of dogs in this months National Geographic. Most of the variability from Teacup poodle to Rottweiler is coded on something like 20 Genes.

I rescued a beagle that wandered to the airport 6 months ago. He's very happy now.

My Border Collie is gonna hack CNN's server and correct that list...

My Border Collie is gonna hack CNN's server and correct that list...

You don't want your favorite dog breed on that list! Because that encourages backyard breeders and puppy mills. There are so many badly bred dogs, and many of them end up dumped in shelters and killed. How many people get Border Collies because they are popular, and then surprise, the dog herds and nips the kids, because what a shock, they are herding dogs!

I'm surprised German Shepherd is number two as I don't really see them that often. I've got a German-line example (very blocky looking compared to American-lines) and he's a great dog. As bluee implied many American examples' hips are just a hot mess as breeders try to produce the unnatural gait favored in dog shows.

My next dog will probably be another German-line shepherd or a big mutt.

I'm surprised German Shepherd is number two as I don't really see them that often. I've got a German-line example (very blocky looking compared to American-lines) and he's a great dog. As bluee implied many American examples' hips are just a hot mess as breeders try to produce the unnatural gait favored in dog shows.

My next dog will probably be another German-line shepherd or a big mutt.

I have German dogs too. My spouse is German, we brought them over. We've had one German showline, and two German working line dogs, the smartest most obedient dogs I've ever had. My working line dogs are sable, and people frequently ask me what breed they are. Most people here have only seen black and tan.

<---- that one was the German showline (longhaired)

I'm surprised German Shepherd is number two as I don't really see them that often.
Same here. My neighbors had a couple German Shepherds but I don't know of any others. On the other hand I know lots of people with Labs and Golden Retrievers.

You don't want your favorite dog breed on that list! Because that encourages backyard breeders and puppy mills. There are so many badly bred dogs, and many of them end up dumped in shelters and killed. How many people get Border Collies because they are popular, and then surprise, the dog herds and nips the kids, because what a shock, they are herding dogs!

No Kiddin... I have had St Bernards for 40 years... When the Beethoven movie came out every pound in the country had a few... They couldn't afford to feed them so most were put down.... :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ben.

Last edited:

You're probably right. My BC was a rescue dog. He was dumped by a 4th rate breeder when he got sick as a 6 wk old puppy. Fortunately, the community where he was dumped has a very active Border Collie rescue group.

When I was a kid, Boxers were everywhere. I don't see them much now, and was also surprised they are high on the list. OTOH, almost every house now has a ****shoe or whatever they call them. Most of them are dumber than a rock.

Last edited:
My working line dogs are sable, and people frequently ask me what breed they are. Most people here have only seen black and tan

Handsome dog you have there. Mine is all-black with only tan socks and people still ask me what breed he is.

I have a "background" (sort of) in regards to dogs. I've always wanted a large dog but can't due to my apartment and besides nobody would rent to me. Got stuck with a Corgi (ex boyfriend's choice, not mine) and though I love him and he is smart, I won't get a Corgi again. I volunteered for the humane society as an assistant (training classes after work), and as a dog walker, I've attended "canine behavior academy" part way, a deep dive into animal psychology and biology, and even pondered working for guide dogs for the blind as a career. Dogs and horses are my true love and I can't imagine a life without animals.

Most days, I'll take a dog over a human. I'm not a "crazy dog person" and I don't dress up my dog or feed him people food, I'm just saying they are honest, loyal, loving, and easy to read. Humans? Not so much.

I had a 110 pound white, blue eyed Syberian Seppla for 10 years. Head strong, but the best dog I ever had. He loved to ride in the back of my pickup. :yesnod:

Talk about shed! :eek:

Yet another reason I hate Corgi's. They have a double coat and that seasonal shed claim is BS. They shed year round. The boyfriend bought a Springer, and I swear, it never sheds, though the hair is soft and curly and long. Dumb dog, and way too hyper, but loving and cuddly.

I grew up with St. Bernards. Parents switched over to black labs 20+ years ago.

Why don't you like corgis? I think they are adorable. French bulldogs are cute too.

I grew up with St. Bernards. Parents switched over to black labs 20+ years ago.

Why don't you like corgis? I think they are adorable. French bulldogs are cute too.

Answer me this: have you ever personally owned a Corgi?

My previous neighbor had a pack of six Corgis. They were very cute, but extremely noisy barkers.

I used to have a yellow lab and I Ioved that dog. Wife has a beagle now and it's a pain in the a**. It barks at everything. Kids love it though.

I've been adopted by a BC. Amazing dog with a ton of energy and smart as a whip. Right now he's probably at home writing his blog and working on his particle theory paper. And wondering when that next piece of ham is going to fall in front of him. See ya soon Blue! Good boy!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

No Kiddin... I have had St Bernards for 40 years... When the Beethoven movie came out every pound in the country had a few... They couldn't afford to feed them some most were put down.... :sad::sad::sad::sad:

Ben.

A friend of mine adopted a St Bernard that had been dumped at her vet's office. Of course the owners who dumped him had named him Beethoven. My friend renamed him Gossamer. He was a very nice dog, and he had a long and happy life with my friend.

My previous neighbor had a pack of six Corgis. They were very cute, but extremely noisy barkers.

That and MANY other things:

Barking
Shedding
Not "great" with other dogs
Not good with people (scares them by barking / growling), certain people OK, some not
Strange fears / behaviors (attacks when you swing in the playground or ride roller skates)
Not "cuddly" / more independent
Leash aggression
Too smart (can outsmart you / do half-a$$ed behaviors to figure what minimums are required to get the desired results)
Health problems (back surgery, failing of back legs)
Herding issues (hasn't happened to me) - strong prey / chase drive, nipping at things

Also, the local blind dogs place stopped using them as "deaf dogs" - that is a good indicator. They basically thought "Hmmm. What happens if the phone rings and I DON'T tell my owner to pick up the phone? Nothing? OK then I won't tell my owner anymore."

If "adorable" was my only requirement, and I didn't care about shedding, I would want the following:

Newfoundland (Newfies)
Visla (Hungarian)
Weimeraner

If "shed free" was my only wish, I'd want:

Labradoodle (half Lab, half Poodle)

If "smart" was my only wish, I'd want:

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka Tollers)
Burmese Mountain Dog (Burmers?)
Belgian Malinois

I've been adopted by a BC. Amazing dog with a ton of energy and smart as a whip. Right now he's probably at home writing his blog and working on his particle theory paper. And wondering when that next piece of ham is going to fall in front of him. See ya soon Blue! Good boy!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

They are incredible but take a lot of work. Amazing animals but honestly too much for me to handle. I'd feel guilty not helping them realize their full potential.

Very few people have heard of Tollers. Unfortunately I've heard they bark "interestingly."

breeder.png

Our Designer Dog..... Mutt..... Golden Shepard, Bob e dog, like in Roberta Elizabeth Dog. :)

Attachments

• PICT0024.JPG
    PICT0024.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 12
  • PICT0031.JPG
    PICT0031.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 11
  • P1010005.JPG
    P1010005.JPG
    715.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

I'd be scared to own one just for the tripping hazard alone.

If "adorable" was my only requirement, and I didn't care about shedding, I would want the following:

Newfoundland (Newfies)
Visla (Hungarian)
Weimeraner

If "shed free" was my only wish, I'd want:

Labradoodle (half Lab, half Poodle)

If "smart" was my only wish, I'd want:

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever (aka Tollers)
Burmese Mountain Dog (Burmers?)
Belgian Malinois

Buy a good vacuum!

A Belgian Malinois will outsmart most owners. They need a job to do, or they will be destructive.

Back