American with UK PPL (JAR) - questions

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
I have a student who is a US citizen but was stationed in the UK for several years. He earned his private pilots license while there. Now he's home and has been issued a US license with the following limitation: "Issued on the basis of and valid only when accompanied by UK pilot license number xxxxx"

When he gets his commercial certificate here in the US this restriction will go away. For now, he wants to get current here.

My question is, does he need a valid 3rd class medical here? He has a valid medical from the UK.

Can't really answer your question but I expect that he is ok. You might want to ring up the FSDO.

What I find interesting is that he has the UK license at all. When I was stationed in England I was learing to fly and we did everything according to the FAA. I had an FAA, student license, took the FAA PPL written and my training was done to the part 61 standards. I also had to lear UK stuff to survive using their airspace, such as the different squawk codes e.g. 1234 instead of 1200

Not 100% sure, but 99% so...

If he's flying here on the basis of his FAA certificate, yes, unless he's had his UK medical certificate as well as his UK pilot certificate verified via the process in the link quoted above. If he's flying on the basis of his UK ticket alone, no, his UK medical alone is sufficient.

Back