American Optical vs Randolph engineering aviators

FutureFly

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
FutureFly
Between American Optical and Randolph Engineering… which is generally considered better quality for the price? Been looking at aviators, polycarbonate but would like dark tint and understand that polycarbonate does not take tint very well unless it’s polycarbonate, then there’s the endless debate about affecting digital screens. But for use in steam gauge only Cessna 152 would polarized be an issue?

I can't say which is generally considered better but when my prescription changed I replaced a pair by Randolph with one by American Optical and I'm just as happy with the AOs. I've always had glass lenses, non-polarized so can't comment on the rest but will stick with glass/np.

Nauga,
whose future is so bright

I can't say which is generally considered better but when my prescription changed I replaced a pair by Randolph with one by American Optical and I'm just as happy with the AOs. I've always had glass lenses, non-polarized so can't comment on the rest but will stick with glass/np.

mind me asking what each of those sunglasses pairs cost for reference?
Nauga,
whose future is so bright

Before glass panels, the argument against polarization was that it dampened the glint of the sun off a distant wing, so polarization reduced a pilot’s visual clues.

I dunno. Otoh, there are so many glass panels (watches, iPads, phones, (surprisingly) the Hobbes meter) in our lives that even if you had no glass in the cockpit it doesn’t mean polarization wont be a nuisance.

I'm happy with my AO's. I'm kind of a nerd for the Apollo era... and they were half the price of Randolph and Ray-Ban at the time. They have since raised prices in line with their competition.

I will say that the "bayonet" temples are really nice for donning/doffing with a headset. The other side of the coin is that they will fall off and bounce off the concrete lense first if you look down.... did I mention that the AO lenses seem to be really durable?

Check with a local mom & pop optician; they'll dye a pair of lenses in a pair of glasses you already own, to any percent of gray you like, usually for just a few bucks. If your lenses are gacked, they can replace them with new ones in the same frame, and do a dye job on the new ones.

I've got 2 pairs of Randolphs that I've had for probably 5+ years now -- 1 non-polarized with the bayonet for flying which are great, and a polarized pair for everything else. Absolutely love them and highly recommend. My experience with Randolph is they are very high quality and I like the look/feel of them. But as with anything you wear on your body it'll come down to personal preference...

I love polarized sunglasses in almost every situation but the cockpit. Between iPads and even the little LCDs on the face of older King radios, I purposely buy flying sunglasses. I did a trial with Flying Eyes, Randolph, and almost included Mission 7, but the Flying Eyes glasses fit the bill perfectly for me. I have had to replace each lens once after stupidly resting them on top of my head and having them fall off but have had zero problems with them, otherwise, after three years. I’m getting older and my 15-year old LASIK is losing the edge against my age so I’m probably going to have to start wearing prescription glasses to keep my 1st class and I’ve already all but decided to buy Flying Eyes’ prescription model that most closely replicated what I already wear.

Back