American Flyers KDWH - Instrument rating

Scott_182

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott_182
Wondering if anyone has any experience obtaining an instrument rating at the American Flyers location at KDWH in Houston?

Thanks,

First Post!!! Welcome to PoA!!!

Dakota Lynn is down in your area. You might send him a private message to see if he has any intel on American Flyers.

I am based out of Hooks and I see them flying a lot. They are a testing center so I used them to take my instrument knowledge test. They were very professional. I considered using them for my instrument ground since they have a weekend course, but ended up going the self study route. Are you flying out of Hooks? Out of the big schools at Hooks that would be my first choice. ATP has recently opened up right across from AF with new archers, Seminoles and Cessnas on the flight line, but I haven't heard any thing about them.

Thanks for the information everyone!

The school doesn't get you your IFR, your CFII does, find the best one and go there

American Flyers is nationwide. I've done course work with them in Santa Monica and Dallas (ADS) (PPL and IFR Written)

I like their courses.

But (oh there's always a but) they may not be the most cost effective way to go.

I did my instrument with them in Chicago. Liked the program, liked the staff.

I instructed with them for a short bit. I know they're very expensive and I have heard varying opinions about other locations.

I did a 10 day Instrument program at American Flyers at KADS. Very tough but enjoyed it and really liked my instructor!

I did a 10 day Instrument program at American Flyers at KADS. Very tough but enjoyed it and really liked my instructor!
Did he have red hair, a military background, and own a C177B?

And flew to Martha's Vinyard every year. I beleive his name was Tim?? Going off memory...I had him for day 1. After that my exclusive instructor was named Thomas and one other time I had Chris.

Wondering if anyone has any experience obtaining an instrument rating at the American Flyers location at KDWH in Houston?

Thanks,

I fly out of Hooks- I am a VFR student pilot at Texas Flight. weather permitting, I fly out of there 2-3x weekly. in contrast to another post in this thread, I rarely ever see or hear anyone take lessons with American Flyers. I listen to live ATC.net and I might hear them once every 3 months.and I rarely see them on the Alpha ramp while doing runups yet that's not a reflection of their cababilities, just that their student load seems light. I used their online test prep to help pass my written. in reference to good CFI for Instrument rating, there are some good ones at Texas Flight. IM me and I can give you some names

Back