American Flyers Dupage

Apache123

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hey, Steve!
So I have some Veterans' benefits to use; I figure I'd get my instrument rating, but the nearest option I have at the moment (requires part 141 and VA-approved) is American Flyers in DuPage, IL.

Anyone have any experience with their instrument training? I know they're expensive, but I won't be paying so that's not the main concern. I just don't want to get jerked around like I hear happening at a lot of these big schools.

They have an 'accelerated instrument' course (10 to 15 days) and a more your-own-pace instrument course. Anyone have thoughts on these one way or the other?

I did a couple of writtens through the and know a few guys that went through their program. For the big 141 programs they do a good job and more importantly they have a long track record of not ripping students off. They were solid 20 years ago and they're solid today.

If you go to one of their Saturday BBQ Wings seminars (listed on www.faasafety.gov), they typically give you a coupon good for a couple of hours of sim time. You can use that to try them out free.

I haven't used them, so cannot really comment on the quality, though their name did come up over the air in the recent crash of the Cirrus in the area. Not sure you can really judge the quality of their program from that one example, though.

The sims the have down here are pretty cool, the instruction is built into the program so all you need is you.

The sims the have down here are pretty cool, the instruction is built into the program so all you need is you.
Is that the RedBird Academy, or American Flyers? Listened to an interesting interview with the CEO of RedBird at Sun 'n Fun over the weekend talking about some of the things they're doing, but I had the impression that they were the only ones so far.

Is that the RedBird Academy, or American Flyers? Listened to an interesting interview with the CEO of RedBird at Sun 'n Fun over the weekend talking about some of the things they're doing, but I had the impression that they were the only ones so far.

American Flyers at PMP.

I haven't used them, so cannot really comment on the quality, though their name did come up over the air in the recent crash of the Cirrus in the area. Not sure you can really judge the quality of their program from that one example, though.

This was the first thing that came to my mind as well :dunno:

I've never used American Flyers, but I have definitely heard they were WAY OVERPRICED.

I have a friend who said he paid them about $15,000 for a PPL, and passed with minimal hours. I paid less than half of that, through a private instructor/FBO.

Back