American Bonanza Society--ADS

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Sorry I disappeared!

The American Bonanza Society met here at Addison beginning last Wednesday evening and through Saturday evening. I believe over 150 Bonanzas and Barons were here at Addison for the event.

Lots of great planes; great folks and interesting things to do.

Went to several educational sessions, met a lot of folks that post on the Bonanza web site, ate lunch and dinner with wonderful folks and got myself completely loaded up with plane stuff and plane people!!

Hit sessions on:

Cockpit weather. They had a spread sheet comparing different systems; the costs and capabilities of each. Great discussion on those systems with comments from some guys flying with 'em. Most enlightening was that there are some issues with the 396 and XM reception. Many folks have launched on flights only to find out they could not get updates in the air.

Hypoxia. No matter how many times I hear about this, I always learn something new. We discussed pets quite a bit and Dr. Ricca expressed his opinion that pets had almost the same needs as humans.

Intro to BPPP. Ron Timmermans gave an excellent overview of the Bonanza Pilots Proficiency Program. Answered lots of questions. My partner and I will probably try to attend in the Baron this year.

Web spar update. ABS discussed where they were on their research into the web spar issue and possible AD revision. What was most enlightening was their research now points to longitudinal forces rather than wing loads. Dropping the nose and catching it or turning while taxiing at high speed can all longitudinal forces and crack the huck bolts in the web spar.

Exhibitors. All the normal folks. Didn't get to spend the time with them I would have liked to as I was working some between sessions and visiting with folks that flew in.

New developments at GAMI. Discussions of several new systems. Back up alternator is now close to certification. Their electronic ignition is still in process.

Modern Engine Management. Discussion by JPI of their systems.

Service Clinic Squawks. Discussion of problems commonly found on the Bonanza and Baron.

Went to dinner and wound up being the one settling the bill. Everyone kicked in what they thought they owed (15 folks) and we were over $100 short. How would you handle that without embarrassing anyone?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Web spar update. ABS discussed where they were on their research into the web spar issue and possible AD revision. What was most enlightening was their research now points to longitudinal forces rather than wing loads. Dropping the nose and catching it or turning while taxiing at high speed can all longitudinal forces and crack the huck bolts in the web spar.

I haven't read anything about cracking huck bolts, rather I think it's about cracks in the spar web starting from a hole with a huck bolt in it. Did they say anything about progress with the FAA? It seems that they (FAA) have put the AD requiring the doublers for any cracks on hold, but I've heard nothing beyond that.

Went to dinner and wound up being the one settling the bill. Everyone kicked in what they thought they owed (15 folks) and we were over $100 short. How would you handle that without embarrassing anyone?

Happened to me more than once. Usually just mentioning the shortfall amount will bring on another round of "donations". If that didn't solve it I don't know what I'd do. Probably pay it and grumble. I wonder if this means the average Bo pilot is stingy or just bad at math?

lancefisher said:
Happened to me more than once. Usually just mentioning the shortfall amount will bring on another round of "donations". If that didn't solve it I don't know what I'd do. Probably pay it and grumble. I wonder if this means the average Bo pilot is stingy or just bad at math?
Separate checks, or an agreement before hand to take the total +15-18% and divide by "n" present, and that's your bill. ESP. if it's in a place where I am clearly the "leader".
Bruce

Sounds like a very informational-filled meeting. My grandfather owns a 94' A36 'Nanza. I love to go flying in it whenever possible. I occasionally get fowarded e-mails or view them when I'm at his house from the group about really interesting topics Bonanza-related and non-related.

I'll have to head down to one soon enough...heh

Jason

lancefisher said:
I haven't read anything about cracking huck bolts, rather I think it's about cracks in the spar web starting from a hole with a huck bolt in it. Did they say anything about progress with the FAA? It seems that they (FAA) have put the AD requiring the doublers for any cracks on hold, but I've heard nothing beyond that.

===========================

You are of course correct. The crack eminates at the holes where the huck bold are and progresses from their. The made seveal points which were highly technical about where the cracks could be or what the length could be before the fix was required. A crack from hole to hole required a fix right then. Different crack lengths were allowed; one would really have to read the AD to see where.
There is currently no new requirement. The pending changes by the FAA are on hold until an engineering study is completed. The longitidunal forces causing the problem are new. I have to run, but can look at my meeting notes and see if I can add anything later.

Dave

bbchien said:
Separate checks, or an agreement before hand to take the total +15-18% and divide by "n" present, and that's your bill. ESP. if it's in a place where I am clearly the "leader".
Bruce

I'm with the good doctor. When I'm the leader, it's one check, 20% tip, round up to the nearest whole number, divided by the number of seats. Occassionally the group opts for separate checks, but we decide that before we sit down so to alert the wait-staff with the request.

When saddled with a short bill in a group I don't "own", I just pay and insist on separate checks next time.

One check seems to work if everyone eats & drinks about the same. The frugal diners get screwed by this method. Just tell them to eat up... we're all paying the same amount ! :)

Back