Amending/Correcting an 8500

U

Unregistered

It occurred to me recently that when I filled out my first (and thus far only) 8500, I inadvertently left off two events that should have been reported. Both omissions were unintentional and wouldn't have changed the result (they were tests that came back negative and were therefore immediately forgotten about) but I'd like to correct them as I'm not wild about having my signature on a document that is incomplete.

I haven't seen any protocols (unofficial or otherwise) for setting the record straight. What's the procedure here?

Bruce knows it. Wait for him. However, while waiting, you might want to read this case and see how it applies to your situation, in particular, that "I forgot" is not an acceptable excuse.

Last edited:
You need 3 lawyers, 2 doctors, and $185,000 worth of tests documented over the next 5 years. After that you can apply for a presidential pardon.

unreg, it really varies according to what it was that was left off. Why don't you PM me had if it has applicability to the whole readership, we'll come back with a digest. The problem is the lay pilot has very little idea as to what will be received with a "yawn" and what is actually a big deal.

Or, since you are unreg'd, you can just tell us what you left off......

USUALLY the agency does not get worked into a lather so long as that which was neglected actually doesn't have aeromedical significance, but pilots are really really lousy judges of that and some have walked right into revocation. When it's something not of much significance, you just write them a letter- but you better be darned sure before you do....or you end up closer to what Henning only jokingly suggests....

Half jokingly... Don't screw it up on the second time around or it'll be worse than saying nothing and using 'I forgot that' later....

Half jokingly... Don't screw it up on the second time around or it'll be worse than saying nothing and using 'I forgot that' later....

But according to the OP original posting, it's been forgotten three times over 14 years.

Correction: My bad, I was reading the court case and that info carried over into my post.

Last edited:
Look, easy enough, draft an "oops, forgot this stuff" letter and send it to Dr Bruce for review. When he oks it he'll tell you what to do with it. Do that and be done.

OP here....

To clarify, I have filled out an 8500 once and only once. It was for my 3rd Class Med and Student Pilot Certificate. The events in question are:

1 - Due to a family history of melanoma I periodically visit a dermatologist. Occasionally the doc sees something they don't like, they shave it off and it gets sent to a lab for analysis. A little over seven years ago the sample was sufficiently abnormal that they wanted a larger piece excised. I went to a hospital and a surgeon removed a small chunk of flesh. I was under local anesthetic (I spoke to the doctor the entire time), the procedure probably took less than 30 minutes, there was no recovery period and I can't recall any follow-up pain meds other than maybe some aspirin. The larger sample was analyzed and the conclusion was reached that is was just something abnormal, not cancerous, that we'd gotten it all with the excision, and that nothing else needed to be done. I should mention that my visits to the dermatologist that fell within the three-year reporting window were disclosed as was the family history. Additionally, I have never had or been diagnosed with a melanoma. My concern is that this should be reported in the "any surgeries" section of the 8500.

2 - About two and a half years ago I went to Planned Parenthood for an STI screen. This was a routine test caused by nothing more than my own good habits (in other words, I had no symptoms or reason to believe I was sick but I strongly subscribe to the better safe than sorry philosophy). The test came back negative and I moved on with my life. I'm confident this counts as a visit to health professional in the last three years.

Thanks for the help.

OP here, my apologies for the delay, tried posting last week but it must have been moderated out.

The two events are as follows:

1 - Small excision from my back to more closely examine an abnormal mole. It was an outpatient procedure that took about 30 minutes and used local anesthesia. All tests came back negative (non-cancerous) and there was no follow-up medication or treatment. This was about seven years ago.

2 - A standard STI screen. Again all tests came back negative. This was about two and a half years ago.

And to clarify, I've filled out only one 8500 (for my 3rd Class Med and Student Pilot Cert).

Whaddya think?

The conservative, "dot-Is and cross t's" way:

"Dear AAM 331, please add the following records to my file.
(1) Negative pathology from a small skin resection from the ____ area of my body.
(2) Negative STI data.
6 pages total.

Yours sincerely, John Q Pilot, dob __/__/__"

Send certified return receipt and don't follow up, just keep the receipt. In about six months you might get an acknowledgement, but as neither bears on your certifiability, they might just file it. Keep the receipt for a long, long time; it is your ticket out of any future hassles that might happen if QA audits hit your file.

But I think these can wait until the next certification. By then it will be ancient history, esp if you are less than 40 (five years hence). Keep your records, however, you never know when you'll need them.

Those who use me professionally know, I am always loading the breech for the next round. When the RFS's representative asked me about a year ago for evidence that a commercial airman's trip to a Calif. ER was in fact NOT for coronary chest pain, I printed 450 sheets and handed it to her. I also had the local doc's concurrence by that doc's office notes. She won't be asking for a while, I don't think.

Last edited:
Bruce knows it. Wait for him. However, while waiting, you might want to read this case and see how it applies to your situation, in particular, that "I forgot" is not an acceptable excuse.

How does that case support the notion that "I forgot" is not an acceptable excuse? The respondent didn't claim that he forgot, and I don't see anyplace where the Board discusses such an excuse.

The main thrust of the Board's discussion is centered on determining whether the falsification was intentional or not, and the sanction was ultimately overturned because of the administrative law judge's acceptance of the respondent's claim that he misunderstood the question, thus reinforcing the principle that unintentional falsification is an excuse.

Richard, the agency can only fry about 500 fish a year. This is not one of them. The Medical examiners have to refer for prosecution if it's egregrious.

Now consider the situation if the airman bends metal and the omission is discovered that way. That moves you way up near the head of the class. If the airman has an omission that will not affect certification, and he updates his file voluntarily (he doesn't have to bring it to attention), it's wayyyy below the threshold.

Or he can just sit tight and roll the dice. Or he can lawyer up, whcih is ridiculous for the sorts of things he has mentioned.

I've BTDT many time. It's a yawn for what he has described. I do this (correction routine) many times a month.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back