Amelia's Landing, Port Aransas, TX, KRAS

Jay, you should come fly in the Caribbean! I'll make sure that even you old RV pilots get treated the same as the others do here :)

Sent from my iPhone using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise for them.

Love to! :D

Well what's keeping you from it? A good RV-8 pilot could do KRAS - KEYW no problem, direct w/out needing to stop for fuel :)

Sent from my iPad using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise.

Well what's keeping you from it? A good RV-8 pilot could do KRAS - KEYW no problem, direct w/out needing to stop for fuel :)

Sent from my iPad using An APP that doesn't pay me to advertise.

Must be these danged 15 hour days... :lol:

Sooner or later, the season will end...and I can have a life again...

One day I'll come visit your place, Jay...one day.

I was born and grew up in Victoria, and we regularly went to Port A. for the beach. I miss that place (not Victoria!). Need to take the wife and kid there for a little nostalgia tour!

One day I'll come visit your place, Jay...one day.

I was born and grew up in Victoria, and we regularly went to Port A. for the beach. I miss that place (not Victoria!). Need to take the wife and kid there for a little nostalgia tour!

Port A is wonderful. My only regret is that it took me 50 years to get here...

BTW: For those who may be curious about why I am so enthusiastic about flying (and living) on an island off the Texas Gulf coast, below is a picture I took last night. Port Aransas on Mustang Island is truly one of the most beautiful places I've ever flown, and I get to do it almost every day! :D

1011305_545324622170103_1397872674_n.jpg

Was just there last Wednesday. Actually saw you and both your planes out there. Would've stopped to say hi, but had to get back to BKS.

http://youtu.be/Qr0Pu8sqDVo

Last edited:
I booked a weekend getaway at Amelia's landing for July 26-28th, flying in from the Houston area! Looks like everything we need or want is within walking distance? Been wanting to come here since last year! I fly over RAS all the time in the jet, but it's hard to experience anything on the island from 40,000 feet!

What are the must-go-to places near the hotel aside from the beach?

I booked a weekend getaway at Amelia's landing for July 26-28th, flying in from the Houston area! Looks like everything we need or want is within walking distance? Been wanting to come here since last year! I fly over RAS all the time in the jet, but it's hard to experience anything on the island from 40,000 feet!

Well, there are three things to do on Mustang Island:

1. Beach
2. Fish
3. Drink

We add "fly" to that list, but then you have to skip #3. :D

If you like fishing, we can recommend some good charters. Being a weekend in July, however, many charters may already be sold out. We are.

There's also parasailing, skydiving, kite surfing, kayaking, and drinking.

Did I mention there are a dozen bars within walking distance? :D

Mary and I will be leaving for OSH the morning after you check in, so we won't be able to raise a glass with you. When we get back, PM me and let us know how our staff and temporary innsitters performed while we were "at the big show". This will be our first year using this couple (I'm bringing them in from Ohio), and this may be the best way for me to evaluate their performance to see if we want them back in '14.

With their experience, they should actually do better than Mary and me, but you never know. That week is statistically our busiest week of the year (of course!), so it's a terrible time for us to be gone. Strangely, EAA refuses to move the event...:rolleyes:

There are several good restaurants within stumbling distance (they have cold beer, too).

Plus, you have to see the hardware store next door. Seriously! :yes:

There are several good restaurants within stumbling distance (they have cold beer, too).

Plus, you have to see the hardware store next door. Seriously! :yes:

That would be Bilmore's Hardware. A real throwback to an era that has been lost in most cities.

During remodeling season, I'm in there three times a day, looking for various hardware and parts. At my urging, the owner has started selling guns and ammo again, for the first time since the '80s.

They've become his top selling products. :D

It's a great little store, with darned near as many employees on the floor as any Lowe's.

Thanks for all the pointers! Can't wait to relax on the beach with my wife! We need to get away for a change!

We have done two weekends in Port A this summer. Here are some pointers.
1. Rent one of the golf carts. Makes getting stuff to and from the beach easy.
2. Venetian Hot Plate, Marcel's- good food, a little pricey, Port A pizzeria, great pizza.
3. Black Horse Saloon- awesome burgers- Their big burger- 1lb meat, onion rings, fried jalepenos, BBQ sauce, cheese, grilled onions, bacon, etc... AMAZING!
4. Any restaurant on the water is tourist food. Just grab a drink, enjoy the view.
5. Relax, have fun. Lots of sunscreen ( buy at the local Stripes- cheaper than the beach stores).

We have done two weekends in Port A this summer. Here are some pointers.
1. Rent one of the golf carts. Makes getting stuff to and from the beach easy.
2. Venetian Hot Plate, Marcel's- good food, a little pricey, Port A pizzeria, great pizza.
3. Black Horse Saloon- awesome burgers- Their big burger- 1lb meat, onion rings, fried jalepenos, BBQ sauce, cheese, grilled onions, bacon, etc... AMAZING!
4. Any restaurant on the water is tourist food. Just grab a drink, enjoy the view.
5. Relax, have fun. Lots of sunscreen ( buy at the local Stripes- cheaper than the beach stores).

Excellent suggestions. In fact, I make those same ones every day! :lol:

One minor correction: It's the "Wild Horse Saloon" that has the greatest burger on God's green earth. Coldest Shiner Bock in town, too! :D

And BTW: The golf carts have become a MUCH better deal in recent years. When we moved here, they were in short supply, and renting for $200/day! Now, you can get them for two days, for less than that.

Are most of these things within walking distance? We don't mind walking so much! Thanks!

Are most of these things within walking distance? We don't mind walking so much! Thanks!

Yep. That's why we bought this particular hotel, instead of one closer to the airport. You can walk to every bar, every restaurant, and every live music venue from Amelia's Landing.

You can also walk to the beach, the docks, and the intra-coastal waterway side of the island -- although, in practice, most people drive, simply because it's hard to carry all the chairs, coolers, beer, soda, snacks, umbrellas, etc.

And don't forget -- you can drive on 15 miles of beach here. It's one of the last places left in the world where you can actually do that without getting arrested. :D

I'll wake this thread up from the dead to say that pretty much everything is within walking distance for someone who likes walking.

I walked all over the place when I stayed at Amelia's last weekend.

Back