Amelia's Landing is about to be born -- let's party on 12/3/11

not gonna be able to make it- the parents say no beause of the weather
Right now, you've got a broken layer at 600 at New Brunfels. Convection is not an issue. Freezing level is around 11,000FT so icing is not an issue. Not airmets or sigmets for icing in the region. No pilot reports. You'll be in solid IMC for a bit after departure.

Destination weather is good. You'd be VFR upon arrival, breaking out somewhere enroute unless you went really high (no reason to).

This is ideal instrument flying weather - not something you get everyday - you were trained to be able to operate in such conditions safely (I accept nothing less). If one does not use these skills they deteriorate. If one's intentions are to let such skills deteriorate and not use them, why pay for them in the first place? Such trips like this are where you gain experience with limited risk..

Both you and your airplane are well equipped for such conditions. Certainly not something I'd consider dangerous. I don't create instrument pilots that cannot operate in such conditions safely. I create instrument pilots that I'd gladly let my family ride with the day of their checkride with weather at minimums.

Have you calmly and logically explained the conditions to your parents, the things one needs to be concerned about, the reasons why those concerns are minimal/non-existent on this trip, and the importance of operating in the system and using your freshly acquired skills before you forget them?

Last edited:
Yes, I have. They wont listen.
The main thing in all such discussions in life - is calm, logical, and respectful discussion. 99% of the time that's where people break down.

If such does not work - no worries - you'll grow older and buy your own airplane someday :)

about time!

flying with Mile High or Soaring Society of Boulder?

Neither. CAP was doing a "Senior" day trying to get more Seniors hooked on soaring so they can (eventually, paying their own way like all training...) reach the requirements to fly Cadets.

The Colorado Wing glider program is taking off... Pun intended? ... With a couple of gliders and a tow hook on a C-182...

I'm guessing the added benefit of having some more "ground crew" around is probably appreciated too once the newbies learn how to handle the glider's correctly. ;)

By the way the CAP thing was postponed but I have to go see Mrs. sing in her Christmas show too this weekend. Y'all have fun down there. Forecast for here Monday is a high temp of 0F. 40F next weekend. ;)

PARTY TODAY!

FREE FOOD AND BEER!

2 - 6 PM!

CALL US FROM THE AIRPORT -- WE'LL COME FETCH YOU!

So, how was it? Did y'all have a good time?

"Good" is the only kind of time they know how to have at Amelia's Island!

So, how was it? Did y'all have a good time?

Fabulous. We had over two hundred people at poolside, eating, drinking, and touring the aviation theme rooms. I was working the grill from noon until after 4 PM, and loving every minute of it. (The meat was donated by a local restaurant, and it was fantastic stuff!)

The fly-in aspect of the party was wiped out by widespread IFR weather -- we had two guys in a Piper Arrow make it in early, before the wind really kicked up -- but that's why you don't build a business that relies solely on pilots. :wink2:

Our next fly-in is scheduled for March 2-3, 2012. If our luck holds, that will be the next time it rains here. :lol:

Our next fly-in is scheduled for March 2-3, 2012. If our luck holds, that will be the next time it rains here. :lol:
I dunno Jay. It looks like we've broken the streak of no rain at least for now. It's been raining here all afternoon! That is a GOOD thing and I'm grateful even if we didn't get to fly.

Ryan

I dunno Jay. It looks like we've broken the streak of no rain at least for now. It's been raining here all afternoon! That is a GOOD thing and I'm grateful even if we didn't get to fly.

Ryan

Same here. We're in the midst of an extreme island rarity -- an "all-day rain". It sure would have been better if this waited until Monday...

about time!

flying with Mile High or Soaring Society of Boulder?

Neither - Nate's freezing his lower rear anatomy in NE and I've got an emergency fix on a consulting contract. Google hosed up everyone and I'm trying to create an alternative approach to using Google Reader.

Bah Humbug.

Just saw this - great to hear Jay, congrats!

Neither - Nate's freezing his lower rear anatomy in NE and I've got an emergency fix on a consulting contract. Google hosed up everyone and I'm trying to create an alternative approach to using Google Reader.

Bah Humbug.

We're just playing with different clouds. ;)

Back