Amelia Rose

murphey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
murphey
Any notice that Amelia took off yesterday from California to start the round-the-world flight? This time in a Pilatus12. With 2 GPS and synthetic vision.

Any notice that Amelia took off yesterday from California to start the round-the-world flight? This time in a Pilatus12. With 2 GPS and synthetic vision.

I saw that, seems like her chances are better than the original Amelia! ;)

Wish her good luck on the flight. Not a bad aircraft for her flight.

How are the other round-the-world efforts doing? THere's that 18 year old guy (who sounds like he has the best chance) and Judy Rice and her Navigator Fred (not Noonan, fortunately).

How are the other round-the-world efforts doing? THere's that 18 year old guy (who sounds like he has the best chance) and Judy Rice and her Navigator Fred (not Noonan, fortunately).

They don't have the marketing machine that Amelia has. Besides, Judy's flight doesn't has the same purpose. Is the young man Jack Wiegand? He did it solo in a Mooney. Article in this month's AOPA - his trip was last summer. Had a 3 week delay due to weather in Japan, totla trip was almost 2 months.

She is all publicity. Not even a shred of substance. And her flying skills are questionable.
Flying around the world is almost a weekly occurrence by someone.
It's a yawner for me.

She is all publicity. Not even a shred of substance. And her flying skills are questionable.
It's a yawner for me.

Good publicity for GA -- all of us. I wish her well.

Yeah, it seems a little disingenuous to make a statement about doing this in a single engine airplane when that plane is a mini-airliner like a PC-12. :)

That said, publicity is publicity. Anything that helps GA, as well as get more women involved, is a good thing IMO.

It's a yawner for me.

Indeed questionable. Plus she's flying with a seasoned instructor in the right seat. Big yawn is right!

Wow, tough crowd. Something positive happens in GA, with a girl flying 'round the world, and y'all find something to hate?

It would seem to me that this is still a great adventure, one that I will certainly never have the opportunity to do, and that (if only we could get the word out) pre-teen girls around the world might look up to this new Amelia?

Given the dismal state of GA, anything that gets a few more girls to take flight lessons can only be seen as good.

It's been done in much smaller aircraft so many times that her " heroic adventure" is really silly. To name two, the fellows in a super cub and the brothers in a tri pacer many years ago. Then there was a woman in a 180 Cessna. The list is a long one. All general aviation needs are affordable new aircraft, not 50 year old relics that are grossly overpriced and whose mechanical conditions are very questionable. This woman has a safety pilot with her and a very well equipped turbine aircraft. Not very thrilling.

And her flying skills are questionable.

Your flying skills are as questionable as hers. I question them. See how easy that is?

Your name does not, and probably never will, be included among a list of such flights. It could be quite a long list eventually, too.

It's a yawner for me.

I'm trying to think of a single flight you've done that merits more than a yawn....

Just a reminder there were such Amelia Earhart's followers before.

In 1967 Mrs.Pellegreno flew Lockheed L-10 Electra (the same aircraft type) on a commemorative trip around the world following Earhart's path with different fueling stops. Then more recently (within the last 10 yrs) some other woman again repeated the same trip. They both dropped a wreath when overflying Howland island (they couldn't land there).

I'm rooting for the 18-year old in the bonanza. He's solo, 18, and in a real single-engine. That's a pilot.

Amelia is doing it in an airliner with a co-pilot. Might as well have bought a ticket. Yawn. Look at me look at me.

Last edited:
I sort of agree. Both prior women who recreated such flight (Linda Finch did it in 1997) at least used real Electra's from the thirties albeit equipped with modern navigation gear. But these were airframes/power plants with identical capabilities to the original aircraft- fairly slow, piston powered and unpressurised. When you start talking about much faster, higher flying and pressurized aircraft equipped with modern turbine engine the whole thing becomes more like another publicity stunt. Yawn for me too.

Last edited:
Your flying skills are as questionable as hers. I question them. See how easy that is?

Your name does not, and probably never will, be included among a list of such flights. It could be quite a long list eventually, too.

I'm trying to think of a single flight you've done that merits more than a yawn....

:lol:

You nailed it, Sir!

My flying skill are questionable. I pray that all my flights are yawners. I'm not out attention whoring with them though.

Oh yeaaaa publicity for aviation. Great. Just wait until someone interested prices out a PC-12.

I pray that all my flights are yawners. I'm not out attention whoring with them though.

I am with you. Boring flights mean I have done my job. I don't want my name in the news for anything I have done flying, good, bad or otherwise. On second thought, I don't want my name in the news for anything.

Jim, jim, jim. tsk tsk

On the comment about her being good publicity for GA and for women - I am all for that. Absolutely.

Amelia obtained her private pilot license in February 2010, her instrument rating in a Cirrus SR-20 June of 2013, and is currently working on her commercial rating in a Cessna 182RG at Centennial Airport in Denver, CO. In the summer of 2012, Amelia completed her instrument training hours by flying from Oakland, Calif. to Miami, Fla., tracing the final trans-continental flight of her namesake, Amelia Mary Earhart, in a Cirrus SR-20. In January of this year, Amelia flew from Stans, Switzerland, to Denver, CO, crossing the North Atlantic in a Pilatus PC-12 NG, the same plane she will use to circumnavigate the globe.

Amelia has also flown in a F-16 with the 120th Fighter Squadron at Buckley Air Force Base, and has 4,000 hours operating a Cineflex high-definition video camera onboard the Eurocopter AS350 helicopter in Los Angeles, Calif. and Denver, CO.

I had not heard of this pilot, my first thought was is this another Jessica Dubroff in the making?

Assuming the biography above is correct this Amelia seems perfectly qualified to make the proposed flight.

I think 4000 hours operating a camera from a helicopter shows she has a lot of exposure to aviation prior to her receiving real pilot training..

As far as her F-16 ride, there is a good chance she doesn't really remember that ride at all! So I don't count that.

I had not heard of this pilot, my first thought was is this another Jessica Dubroff in the making?

Assuming the biography above is correct this Amelia seems perfectly qualified to make the proposed flight.

I think 4000 hours operating a camera from a helicopter shows she has a lot of exposure to aviation prior to her receiving real pilot training..

As far as her F-16 ride, there is a good chance she doesn't really remember that ride at all! So I don't count that.

Well, she has a turbine and a CFI in the right seat so...yeah.. I'd say she's qualified.

Why did I know the conversation would turn into this...

I applaud her for using the name her parents gave her and her self promotional skills to have the opportunity to do this flight.

On the other hand, I would be more impressed if it wasn't done in a PC-12 with a more experienced pilot.

If it inspires more young people to get into aviation that's great.

I applaud her for using the name her parents gave her and her self promotional skills to have the opportunity to do this flight.

On the other hand, I would be more impressed if it wasn't done in a PC-12 with a more experienced pilot.

It was originally going to be an SR22' then she got the offer of the Pilatus.

At the other extreme, a solo polar circumnavigation of the globe in an open cockpit biplane using only pilotage and dead reckoning would get her legitimate criticism on any of several counts. There is no flight plan or plane that could be selected that would satisfy all interested observers "sweet spot" for risk or difficulty. Everyone who has attempted such flights has used the most capable aircraft they were able to lay their hands on.

Inspiration. Forget young people for a moment. Consider the collection of existing pilots who rarely venture more than an hour flight from their home airport. If her flight gets them to fly more long distance treks "just for the hell of it" because her flight threatens their insular view of aviation or their place in it, then maybe it will have a broader positive impact.

I've met Amelia while working at the tanker base at KBJC. She came out to do a story on the wildfires and the air tankers. I asked her about her upcoming flight and she was quite modest. She presented as a very sweet gal with a love for aviation. I may add that she's way cuter in person. I got the feeling that this flight, to her was more about promoting GA than anything else. She is definitely not self absorbed and who would pass up the opportunity to make that flight, not me, I'd be all in!!!
Iz

They don't have the marketing machine that Amelia has. Besides, Judy's flight doesn't has the same purpose. Is the young man Jack Wiegand? He did it solo in a Mooney. Article in this month's AOPA - his trip was last summer. Had a 3 week delay due to weather in Japan, totla trip was almost 2 months.

That's the one. Glad he made it. He had the best story compared to the other publicity machines.

I think most of us on this board have an aviation bucket list and more than likely the things on the list are things that have been done by a thousand other pilots. If you got a ride in a T6 or maybe even a Stearman you would be on this board telling your story (and I would happily read it). I suspect if you flew around the world you would be talking about it until the end times. I know I would. So I don't get the negative comments on this one.

She's getting GA on the news and casting it in a positive light. Good stuff.

So we all know flying around the world in a pressurized turbine is routine, but the public does not. They see single engine propeller... scary small plane!

How can anyone complain about a beautiful lady with a famous name doing something that can only help GA by being a positive story in the news rather than another story about how deadly small planes are?

Jealousy perhaps?

:rolleyes2:

Back