Amelia... but not TIGHAR

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
My money is on the plane being on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere between 5 and 50 miles W/NW of Howland Island, depending on current speed. After 83 years, there won't be much left.

My money is on the plane being on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, somewhere between 5 and 50 miles W/NW of Howland Island, depending on current speed. After 83 years, there won't be much left.

I think you're right about the location of the plane, but I hold out hope that the wreck may not be totally obliterated. The water is about 18,000 feet deep in that area, so it's very cold at the bottom--just a degree or two above freezing. That will help preserve the airplane, if that's where it lies. Consider the wreck of the US Navy airship Macon, which went down off Point Sur in California in 1935. It sank in 1500 feet of water. It carried a couple of Sparrowhawk airplanes which are nearly intact, even to this day. If Earhart's plane did not disintegrate on impact (in a well-controlled ditching, maybe) I think there's a good chance that recognizable airplane parts may be found.

Anyway, I hope one of these expeditions is eventually successful. I love the mystery, but I also want some resolution.

Tim

Ok, they are recreating Beech-18 with the period equipement but what about Itasca and her equipement? Any recreation here?
And how do they know the signal strength that Itasca was receiving, do they have such relevant data?

There are logs of the radio transmissions sent and received, including signal strength reports. See "The Deep sea Quest For Amelia Earhart" by David W Jourdan. Two engineers from Rockwell Collins (now Collins Aerospace) whom I personally know and members of the Collins Amateur Radio Club (CARC) spent over 3000 hours analyzing the signals. They used identical radios to those in question and provided information that was used by the analysts in developing the search patterns of the Nauticos group.
https://nauticos.com/ocean-discovery/amelia/

Yes, I know this is like Lazarus…
Front page, below the fold, today’s WSJ Weekend.
767f2a78725e9d952ff976fe81506564.jpg

wow, I'm more amazed by that photo of an actual honest-to-God newspaper! I can't recall the last time I held one

Last edited:
wow, I'm more amazed by that photo of an actual honest-to-good newspaper! I can't recall the last time I held one

Delivered six days a week, minus federal holidays.

Back