AMEL add-on recommendations in Bay Area?

scooter

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Scooter
So, the wife will be spending several days in the Bay Area with her girlfriends.

Rather than stay at home (on the boring East Coast), I'm thinking a better choice is to head out to the Bay Area too, and find a place to get a C-AMEL add-on (I have C-ASEL & instrument).

I will have a car, and can find a place near the airport, so will be able to dedicate 3-4 full days to training. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Can anyone recommend a good flight school/MEI?

Anywhere within 3 hours or so drive of the Bay area would work.

Thanks!

The peeps i know all went to Shebles in AZ. Way cheaper than trying to do it in the Bay Area. PSA at ccr has a Seminole.

Reid-Hillview in San Jose has a few, Squadron 2 has 2 Duchess', Nice Air has 2 Seminols and a Senica. All these rent for $250/hr wet, kinda pricey but that's all I've seen around here. Still cheaper than anything out of KPAO, they want 310 for a Duchess

Last edited:
You're better off letting your wife have the girls weekend in the Bay Area, and go somewhere else to do it.

There's a place in MI that does AMEL add-on's for real cheap in an Apache. I think it's called Traverseair.

If you wanna save money your better off looking in the east bay or south bay airports. Meaning don't bother looking at PAO or SQL.

There's a place in MI that does AMEL add-on's for real cheap in an Apache. I think it's called Traverseair.

That's where I did mine last year. We did two flights he first day, two flights the second day, and then the check ride the afternoon of the second day. Great guy. Loves Ace Ventura. Also did my ASES with him in 2008.

If you have an instructor, but he didn't teach you anything, has instruction taken place? It would appear inappropriate to sign a logbook for that, which would mean it doesn't meet the requirement.

I find it hard to believe that it's not possible to learn anything. If your instructor is wet behind the ears, maybe you need a different instructor.

If you have an instructor, but he didn't teach you anything, has instruction taken place? It would appear inappropriate to sign a logbook for that, which would mean it doesn't meet the requirement.

I find it hard to believe that it's not possible to learn anything. If your instructor is wet behind the ears, maybe you need a different instructor.

I'd already flown a 4400nm XC, had experienced more terrain, more IMC, and had more night hours at that point than he did. But they were the only place reasonably close that had a complex to rent. Sort of like the flight review I gave to a guy with 20,000 hours. I mean, really, what am I going to teach him?

a Few Days to get a Multi Engine Add on? Wow and guys clearly he wants to go to the Bay Area offering other states doesn't fit this bill.

So, the wife will be spending several days in the Bay Area with her girlfriends.

Rather than stay at home (on the boring East Coast), I'm thinking a better choice is to head out to the Bay Area too, and find a place to get a C-AMEL add-on (I have C-ASEL & instrument).

I will have a car, and can find a place near the airport, so will be able to dedicate 3-4 full days to training. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Can anyone recommend a good flight school/MEI?

Anywhere within 3 hours or so drive of the Bay area would work.

Thanks!

You can fly a Beech Travel Air at a place called Skywalk in Sac for 220/hr plus 55 instruction but im not sure if they could fit you in to hammer out 15 hours or so in 3-4 days time.

You can fly a Beech Travel Air at a place called Skywalk in Sac for 220/hr plus 55 instruction but im not sure if they could fit you in to hammer out 15 hours or so in 3-4 days time.

15 hours for an initial multi seems a bit steep. I did my latest multi engine ride in a Twin Tecnam which was probably the easiest to fly piston twin I've been in. Fun airplane, probably not any out in the bay area.

15 hours for an initial multi seems a bit steep. I did my latest multi engine ride in a Twin Tecnam which was probably the easiest to fly piston twin I've been in. Fun airplane, probably not any out in the bay area.

I think theres one in watsonville. That is for a multi initial with instrument as well, and the chief there will put you through the wringer which I appreciated.

That's where I did mine last year. We did two flights he first day, two flights the second day, and then the check ride the afternoon of the second day. Great guy. Loves Ace Ventura. Also did my ASES with him in 2008.
When I eventually get the time and money together to do my CMEL add-on, I plan to go there myself.

I'd already flown a 4400nm XC, had experienced more terrain, more IMC, and had more night hours at that point than he did. But they were the only place reasonably close that had a complex to rent. Sort of like the flight review I gave to a guy with 20,000 hours. I mean, really, what am I going to teach him?
I gave one of those recently. He had just renewed his CFI, so we didn't have to do any ground and we'll just say that the hour (he of course, didn't need .1 more than the minimum) ended with me having learned a bunch of new techniques that I now pass on to my primary students.

I'm not sure if they do AMEL, but I had a very good experience at Attitude Aviation at Livermore, about a 45 minute drive from downtown SF.

Back