AME Recommendation? (Charlotte, NC)

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
Who is the "Go To" AME for the Charlotte, NC area? One that would make Dr. Bruce proud of how he helps us airmen.

I can recommend one in southern pines, nc. An older gentleman who has been doing medicals one Saturday a month at my flying club for years. Loves to fly and has a no BS approach. I think that's about 2 hr. drive from Charlotte... May be worth it.

The nearest HIMS AME is in Hickory. named Osbahr. I don't know him from Adam, but it's a good bet they know how to get waivers (SIs). That's what we do, just about daily.

I just spend the $700 to fly out to see Bruce. Speaking of which, I need to do that next month.

I use Dr Albert Hudson. He's at the medical center that is a part of Carolinas Medical Center downtown. He's a pilot himself. Has a Comanche.
(704) 446-2359

Thanks folks... This is for an airman who has contacted me privately that needs the pill controlled DM2 SI and is having difficulties finding an AME who gives a hoot.

These leads will help.

@Jesse; That was a primary suggestion.

Well, Mike, if he's willing to make the trip on a two week in advance cheapie part 121 fare, I can get it approved and issue him in the office......best part is in 2013 he needn't make the trip. The AME of record can speak/prod etc on his behalf.

Well, Mike, if he's willing to make the trip on a two week in advance cheapie part 121 fare, I can get it approved and issue him in the office......best part is in 2013 he needn't make the trip. The AME of record can speak/prod etc on his behalf.

That's what I told him. BTW, the airman we're discussing here is the unregistered inquirer from the red board. He is already considering doing a document review with you. I don't think he is quite aware that that you'll get him set up on the first go.

Heck I didn't. But now I know better :D

Mike, I think he's on a limited budget and $188 for a round trip fare looks like a LOT. I can't blame the guy.....but we generally know better.....

I did post the name of the local HIMS AME (who is likely to be costly, but who is also likely to be able to do it.....it's only about 30 miles for him).

Jesse said:
I just spend the $700 to fly out to see Bruce. Speaking of which, I need to do that next month.
Wow. I'm honored. The real question I suppose is do you really need the second class?

Just tell me which week.....it be to cold to reasonably expose the wires and hoses to gear retraction/extension this week. ZERO here now. (as in Why did I choose to live in Butt-Freeze country...20 odd years ago....(?)

Last edited:
Wow. I'm honored. The real question I suppose is do you really need the second class?
I fly skydivers about every other weekend...and they still jump this time of year..so I do need it. If I make an effort to fly a LOT of skydivers this year, it might just pay for the medical and cost of transport! But probably not :)
Just tell me which week.....it be to cold to reasonably expose the wires and hoses to gear retraction/extension this week. ZERO here now. (as in Why did I choose to live in Butt-Freeze country...20 odd years ago....(?)
Will do. I just ferried a 172 tonight to another airport for maintenance and about froze my toes off...

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back