AME question. pneumothorax footnote

exncsurfer

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
exncsurfer
This question is for any AME. Why would the AME guide have a footnote under spontaneous pneumothorax explaining in what instances the condition could be approved, but then in the decision table, list the condition as 'requires FAA decision'.

I mean, what is the point of the footnote if there is no decision left up to the AME. It seems contradictory to me. Could the footnote mean, defer (unless footnote conditions apply). Otherwise, I don't see the point of it. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're particular AME doesn't interpret it that way.

Thanks.

Attachments

• SpontPneumo.pdf
    24.3 KB · Views: 159
I think that's simply there to enlighten the AME as to the process the FAA follows so that I'm able to better inform my patients.

Given the footnote, I can now let my patient know that if this is the first and only episode, then they'll likely only need an X-ray and some medical interpretation for the FAA to approve. Also when I write my letter to AMCS I know to indicate that this is the first and only event and provide them the X-ray and medical interpretation they need.

On the other hand if this has happened more than once, I know to tell my patient that there isn't a "simple" fix and that most likely a surgical procedure will be necessary.

Again, the reference is there mostly to inform me so that I know the process and can best inform our fellow pilots.

Great question!
- "Doc" Davenport

––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Austin Aerospace, LLC

Louis Davenport, MD, MPH
FAA-Designated Aviation Medical Examiner
………………………………………………………………………...
4309 Emma Browning Ave
Hangar 1 Office
Austin, TX, 78719

www.TexasAME.com

Office: 512-843-5559
info@AustinAero.Space

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back