AME process time

GLR

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
glr
I am in week 16 of 'review' by the Oklahoma office for my 1st class medical. New to the aviation arena, does anybody know how long I should expect to be in limbo for this? My AME sent everything to Oklahoma because of a previous prescription of an anti-depressant. I had been a cop for nearly 15 years and saw a bunch of depressing things but closed the prescription over a year ago. Apparently, it was an issue for my AME. All I get from Oklahoma when I call is, "it's currently under review."

I have already subjected myself to a CogScreen-AE which has been at the Oklahoma office for three weeks - what else (how much longer) should I expect to be waiting?

Anybody have any thoughts?

Have you made any phone calls to the interested airman phone number? 405-954-4821

not sure if this is a HIMS case or even if it has gotten that far. 1st class, SSRI, cog screens: sounds like it is. 16 weeks is minimum as 1st class cases go to Washington. Longest i have dealt with is slightly over 6 months.

not sure if this is a HIMS case or even if it has gotten that far. 1st class, SSRI, cog screens: sounds like it is. 16 weeks is minimum as 1st class cases go to Washington. Longest i have dealt with is slightly over 6 months.
If the airman had submitted same material for a third, would it also go to Washington?

Once granted the SI and the third, can the airman later upgrade to a first with little or no additional hassle? If there is hassle, in what form?

2nd and 3rd can be decided in OKC for most SI's. Unlikely to upgrade a 3rd class issued under a SI until SI expires.

Have you made any phone calls to the interested airman phone number? 405-954-4821
Repeatedly, all they tell me is "it's in review, call back next week." Twice I have been told the waiver 'should' arrive 'next week' - which of course has not happened.

Six months!? No wonder there is a pilot shortage. Six months to agree with what multiple other MD's have already put in writing, that a non-existent condition is truly non-existent.

Unless you need the medical for an existent job, you're pretty much going to be dumped on by the processing time. The FAA, despite making a few advances a while back had slipped into failing miserably even by their own downgraded standards.

If OKC is telling you it's in Washington, call Washington and make sure it's there. All SSRI paths go through Washington. Took over 7 months to get my medical. Month 7 I found out that my app was actually sent back to OKC in month 2. Had to call OKC and tell them that Washington had sent it back. Eureka moment experienced by OKC when they did realize they had for 6 months. 2 weeks later I had my medical...

Good Luck!

Chris

If OKC is telling you it's in Washington, call Washington and make sure it's there. All SSRI paths go through Washington. Took over 7 months to get my medical. Month 7 I found out that my app was actually sent back to OKC in month 2. Had to call OKC and tell them that Washington had sent it back. Eureka moment experienced by OKC when they did realize they had for 6 months. 2 weeks later I had my medical...

Good Luck!

Chris
WOW, just WOW.

@GLR -- Where has your AME been in all of this? The long term members here know of at least one or two that don't stop working the case once the papers are sent in. They continue to act on the applicants behalf to make sure what Chris experienced doesn't happen.

@GLR -- Where has your AME been in all of this? The long term members here know of at least one or two that don't stop working the case once the papers are sent in. They continue to act on the applicants behalf to make sure what Chris experienced doesn't happen.
No idea. I only spoke to the AME the day of my exam. I have not communicated with that medical office since that time.
Would talking to them do any good? Would they be able to help?

Hope your AME is better than mine... I would email him for status once a week. He would tell me that he contacts OKC and they are telling him it's in review. He never knew it was ever sent to Washington. I sent the last bit of requested information directly to OKC. He probably doesn't even know that I received my medical. But he did charge me an extra $150 because of the extra work. lol

Would talking to them do any good? Would they be able to help?
Since I don't know who your AME is, it's difficult to say. Plus AME's come in all flavors of stripes. From those who just don't care, to those who think having the additional alphabet after their name looks cool, to those who are real advocates like Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com

The good AME's not only know what's needed in the submission packet so it's 100% accepted, but also have the upper level reviewers and doctors at OKC on speed dial. Hopefully your AME is one of these. If not, then you might need to reach out to someone who can provide you assistance.

Some here have also reported their Regional Flight Surgeon's office being of help when a submission is going through the "more difficult than normal" vectors. But that too also varies depending on the RFS, their staff, and their willingness to take the extra effort to help you.

I just got my 1st class medical e-mailed to me. So that is done. Because I'm over 40, it is my understanding I will have to re-submit to the AME every six months to keep this 1st class - which I need to keep a pilot job once I earn my ratings. And, after reading the SI, I will need to re-submit the SI documentation every year.

I'm thrilled I've got the 1st class, now I hope I don't have to go through the same 4 month delay every year I resubmit for the same SI.

At any rate, flight training can now begin.

I just got my 1st class medical e-mailed to me. So that is done. Because I'm over 40, it is my understanding I will have to re-submit to the AME every six months to keep this 1st class - which I need to keep a pilot job once I earn my ratings. And, after reading the SI, I will need to re-submit the SI documentation every year.

I'm thrilled I've got the 1st class, now I hope I don't have to go through the same 4 month delay every year I resubmit for the same SI.

At any rate, flight training can now begin.
Unless you have something in writing to the contrary, until you actually start applying for flying jobs, my (non-expert) understanding is that you wouldn't have to keep renewing your 1st class medical every six months to meet FAA requirements, because it would still be valid for third class privileges for two years after your AME exam date. However, since your SI says that you have to resubmit for that every year, then obviously you would have to do that. And I guess it's possible that whatever flying school you're using could have its own requirements.

Why not keep 3rd class until necessary? No way you have enough hours for a job unless i misread something

I'm not clear on all of this, obviously. I wanted to make sure I qualified for a 1st class before I started flight training - just to make sure. You're right, I don't need that level through school but now that I have it, I don't want to let it laps either. Once I have the hours to get a CFI or Commercial job, I don't want to go through another lengthy delay to get my 1st class again.

I think I'll just jump through the hoops every six months and keep it current. All I do know for sure is I will do anything to avoid having to go through another delay with the FAA offices in Oklahoma if at all possible.

Read your SI letter carefully. It explains what updates they want and how frequently. From this, you can plan on when you should visit your primary doctor, what tests or exams to ask for, and when this should be submitted to the FAA.

Appropriate timing is needed to avoide an unintentional grounding due to the FAA still reviewing while the current medical times out.

PS. Don’t lose that letter. Scan it or photograph it and save on phone or cloud.

Read your SI letter carefully. It explains what updates they want and how frequently. From this, you can plan on when you should visit your primary doctor, what tests or exams to ask for, and when this should be submitted to the FAA.

Appropriate timing is needed to avoide an unintentional grounding due to the FAA still reviewing while the current medical times out.

PS. Don’t lose that letter. Scan it or photograph it and save on phone or cloud.
I've got it stashed in a fire safe...

Six months!? No wonder there is a pilot shortage. Six months to agree with what multiple other MD's have already put in writing, that a non-existent condition is truly non-existent.
Welcome to Aviation.

Ohhhh! My turn, my turn! My HIMS-AME submitted my paperwork bundle April 2017. It's now nearly March 2018. That's 11 months waiting on the FAA! Been calling OKC and a guy in WDC for months. We're practically on first-name basis. They tell me constantly "it should be soon".....but I keep getting strung along. Last mailing I got requested a "progress note" from my Primary Care Physician. I had already provided one to them - but they considered it "outdated" since they sat on my paperwork so long!

Anyone considering going down this SSRI-SI path, be prepared for potentially the most frustrating experience of your life.

The worst part about waiting is that when you do get your medical it will be set to expire 12 months after the date you submitted. In my case, I got my medical a couple of weeks ago and it expires in June, 2018. You'll be close to getting your medical after it expires, lol... Good Luck!!!

In case anyone wants to know why some of us want nothing whatsoever to do with FAA's medical people, this is it!

One-year update. Still no decision on my SI medical - 3rd class. I could have purchased, learned, and paid-off an LSA by now.

This thread makes me happy I decided to go BasicMed this last time. I think I will sleep without my CPAP tonight in celebration. :)

Anyone considering going down this SSRI-SI path, be prepared for potentially the most frustrating experience of your life.

Am on the SSRI-SI path (third class) and have already been frustrated enough with the ordeal - had no idea people were waiting 6+ months, much less a year with no response. I submitted in August of last year and just hit 35 weeks of waiting... OK says "it's still in review", and I've been leaving messages with the Washington person to no avail.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that the wait is all part of some bizarre psychological test screening ala 'The Right Stuff'.

If I didn't know any better, I'd swear that the wait is all part of some bizarre psychological test screening ala 'The Right Stuff'.

Our government should not be treating people like this.

Perhaps it’s to weed out the crazies. But then again, you’ve got to be a bit crazy to subject yourself to a Cogscreen!

Here's my story:

My great-uncle took me up for my first airplane ride at age eight and I got to sit right-seat. It's the oldest memory I have, and the best. After that flight I was absolutely hooked on everything aviation and spent countless hours gazing into the sky. I could not, would not - get the dream out of my system and I went up with my Uncle every opportunity I got. But I also grew up in a poor family and flying was far out of reach. I worked full-time, put myself through college, and kept my nose to the grindstone. Fast-forward thirty years. Now a successful professional working in the Aerospace industry (by design), the dream has finally come within reach. Financial reach, at least.

My Grandmother passed away two years ago. My Great-Uncle (now age 92) asked me to earn my wings and take him up for one flight before he passes. He showed me black and white photos and explained how I come from a family of pilots. None of the younger people in the family caught the aviation bug, so I suppose he wanted to ensure the legacy lives on through me.

Immediately I started taking lessons. I studied and passed the written exam with a 92%. Knowing the FAA's policy on SSRI use, I talked to many people (pilots, doctors, and colleagues) – most encouraged me to omit my SSRI-use on my 8500-8. But I don’t like to lie – it's not the way my parents raised me. Additionally, getting caught would mean losing my certificate or cheating my family out of an insurance check if something bad ever happened. So I did what I thought was the “right thing" and disclosed the medication. I jumped through the requisite hoops and shelled out thousands of dollars on appointments and tests with the HIMS-AME, Psychiatrist, and Psychologist - and got the thumbs-up from all three.

That was over a year ago.

I have called OKC/WDC relentlessly. “You’ll get something soon” is what I’ve been told for 8+ months. That trip to the mailbox each day is getting more frustrating each day. How does the FAA expect people to disclose use of SSRIs when this is the result?

I was wondering if when one files the -8500 form on line, under the list all visited doctors in the last 3 years, that means that any doctors prior to that 3 year window don't have to be reported at all?

Hi GLR, in my experience its about 4 to 6 months. Now thats if your case requires a specialty panel, where various docs vote on the case. Hang on there... How did you do on the Cogscreen money making government scam ?

(I say scam because how could it be legal for a private doc to approach the Feds and become their exclusive provider. In other words how can the government tell us to keep using this computer test generated by a doc not a government entity. Every time you take that test the doc that owns the program widens his pockets..... All other ICAO countries accept the world standard Wechsler Adult Intelligence Test as the gold standard.....

Hang in there

Reading the post's im getting worried. After eye exams and many doctor visits, and 8 required forms filled out and mailed, i receive another request to have a CogScreen. My app was started April 2017. I don't even know where to call/go to get this done ! To top it off, my AME passed away last month..... I am not giving up... I'm getting approved or denied or die trying.
Off to find another AME

Reading the post's im getting worried. After eye exams and many doctor visits, and 8 required forms filled out and mailed, i receive another request to have a CogScreen. My app was started April 2017. I don't even know where to call/go to get this done ! To top it off, my AME passed away last month..... I am not giving up... I'm getting approved or denied or die trying.
Off to find another AME
Who was your AME?

And at this point, you might want to hire Dr. Bruce Chien to become your case manager. There is a fee for him to do that, but it might be worth it to you to cut through any red tape and distractions and get this done.

I recommend calling the FAA and inform them that your AME passed and you have to switch AME's. My 3rd class SI was finally approved (total time 13 months - and that was from when all the paperwork landed on the FAA's desk - NOT the time of the submittal). Dr. Chien (or another HIMS-AME can get you setup with a pyschologist to do the Cogscreen and fill the remaining gaps). Don't delay getting all this done - and be patient.

One thing I found useful was that I engaged AOPA's Pilot Protection Services. For a small fee, they'll call the FAA for status and keep you updated. Matter of fact, they were able to give me a copy of my medical/authorization over email. The inept Postal Service didn't even deliver it to my house, despite it being certified mail.

Again, prepare for the most frustrating experience of your life. The lesson here? Get your SI. Switch to BasicMed.

One thing I found useful was that I engaged AOPA's Pilot Protection Services. For a small fee, they'll call the FAA for status and keep you updated.

Does this really do much more than just calling OK every week for status (what I've been doing), or does AOPA's PPS have some sort of pull that helps grease the aeromedical wheels for a faster outcome?

Congrats on finally getting your SI! Since I think you're on the same track as me (on SSRI, 3rd class), that puts me at mid-September if I have the same wait time. Did you in fact wind up with an expired SI when it finally was granted?

Will it speed up the process in general? Not likely. Will it make your wait less frustrating? Maybe some. I got the feeling that Jacquie (my case-manager at AOPA) genuinely wanted to help. Jacquie gave me the first copy of the medical (albeit a soft-copy). US Postal Service never delivered the certified mail (or a notice) to my house. Without AOPA PP - the letter would have been "returned to sender" and I would still be waiting for a medical.....unaware it was already issued.

I encouraged AOPA to bring some attention to this issue on a larger scale (i.e. why are pilots being punished by an overwhelmingly-onerous process/wait for being honest on their medical?). I like denverpilot's idea of a must-issue date to hold the FAA accountable.

Next time you call OKC, see if the application is in Washington DC. If so, politely request a contact there and bug them. All SI's go to Washington DC for review by the Federal Air Surgeon.

The SI that came expires in 5 months. I think this is why they asked for another "status letter" from my physician a year after the first one was deemed "too old".

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back