AME in Denver and alcohol question

BrettE

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brett
Hey All,

I searched the forum, and all I found was a thread from a about 5 years ago, so I figured it's time for a fresh one.

I just moved to the Denver area, and I need a good AME. Back where I moved from I had an AME that did something like 700 exams a year, and he was great. Then he retired, and I moved out here.

I'd like to get a 3rd class medical certificate, but in the past I've been denied.

The remaining issue is alcohol. I got a nice little letter from the FAA saying they denied me, and that I needed to visit a shrink and get a report on my alcohol history. Basically, when I filled out my initial form I told them that I quit drinking back in Feb 2006.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed here?

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
M Ladwig
http://www.workcompdoc.net/

Aviation & Occupational Medicine
6900 E. 47th Avenue Drive, Suite 100
Denver, CO 80216

Phone: (303) 333-4411

+1

I got my Class 3 from then when I lived in Denver. Nice, quick, no appt necessary (last time I went there, that is), and the docs will answer any questions in laymens terms.

Hey All,

I searched the forum, and all I found was a thread from a about 5 years ago, so I figured it's time for a fresh one.

I just moved to the Denver area, and I need a good AME. Back in OH I had an AME that did something like 700 exams a year, and he was great. Then he retired, and I moved out here.

I'd like to get a 3rd class medical certificate, but in the past I've been denied for two different reasons. One was a potential neurological issue, but I think we're past that.

The remaining issue is alcohol. I got a nice little letter from the FAA saying they denied me, and that I needed to visit a shrink and get a report on my alcohol history. Basically, when I filled out my initial form I told them that I quit drinking back in Feb 2006.

Any suggestions on the best way to proceed here?

Thanks,
Brett

Frontier has inexpensive tickets from Denver to Bloomington, IL and it's a short drive to Peoria.....

Frontier has inexpensive tickets from Denver to Bloomington, IL and it's a short drive to Peoria.....

This is an option that has been discussed. Actually, I have family in NW Indiana about 2.5 hours from Peoria. I may end up visiting Peoria on one of these trips home. When you consider how much money we put into getting pilots licenses and such, spending a few bucks to hope on a plane to see a good AME seems pretty reasonable.

Thanks!
Brett

If the FAA denied your medical application, I'm thinking there must have been more to the story than just that you stopped drinking alcoholic beverages. There is no question of that nature on the application, nor anywhere on it I can imagine you would feel compelled to write "I stopped drinking in 2006" without some history of alcohol-related problems behind it. No need to expand on that here, but make sure you fully inform the AME with whom you work on this issue of the full history which led to the decision to stop drinking.

If the FAA denied your medical application, I'm thinking there must have been more to the story than just that you stopped drinking alcoholic beverages. There is no question of that nature on the application, nor anywhere on it I can imagine you would feel compelled to write "I stopped drinking in 2006" without some history of alcohol-related problems behind it. No need to expand on that here, but make sure you fully inform the AME with whom you work on this issue of the full history which led to the decision to stop drinking.

Lol Ron, this was asked and answered, before the thread was censored and his answer removed, I'd leave it be before you get a PM from a admin.

Remember we are all here to welcome people into aviation NO MATTER WHAT, questions like that shouldnt be asked on this board.

Lol Ron, this was asked and answered, before the thread was censored and his answer removed, I'd leave it be before you get a PM from a admin.

Remember we are all here to welcome people into aviation NO MATTER WHAT, questions like that shouldnt be asked on this board.
What question did I ask? Reviewing my post, all I see is an observation and some advice. Not worrying that.

My fault for explaining the situation poorly. My poor explanation also led to several rather unhelpful responses. I asked the mods to delete the thread since I had clearly set the whole conversation off in the wrong direction. However they chose to censor it instead.

In any event, some have posted useful information, and I now have a way forward.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back