AME in Austin, TX

U

Unregistered

Any recommendations for an AME in Austin, TX? I'm getting back to flying after a few years of absence and need to get a current 3rd class. Any AME in the area specifically NOT recommended?

Thanks.

It's been a few years, but if you want to go down to San Antonio, I used to use Dr. Armstrong in San Antonio.

Unreg; some tips on your search for an AME
  • Interview the AME in a "consult" environment (do not fill out FAA paperwork) before you go official. You might be required to pay a small office visit fee, but that's okay to help weed out the bad AME's and idenify the really good one.
  • Ask questions such as
    1. Are you a pilot? Those that are have a much better understanding of what you want to accomplish. Those that are not pilots and are using the "AME Shingle" to fill gaps in their private practice usually don't make the best AME's (though the occasional exception to this does exist). The thing to remember is that the AME isn't just the guy who conducts a simple physical exam, looks at your paperwork and submits to the data to the FAA. The good AME's are the ones who willing to get you in the air and keep you there when your medical situation gets all twisted and gnarly.
    2. How good are you with assisting with Special Issuance (SI) cases? Are you or your assistant readilly available to advise me on what documentation to obtain prior to my visit? How about the difficult ones such as cardiac or psychological?
    3. Do you have FAA Medical on speed dial?
    4. Are you willing to use that speed dial and speak with FAA Medical on my behalf to obtain telephonic authorization to issue the certificate so that I can walk out of the office with my medical certificate? (contingent to you meeting the standards physically and having 120% of all the needed records and documentation) Dr. Bruce Chien might be along to explain why this is permitted by FAA Medical and actually encouraged. Doing so reduces the load of the reviewers by permitting simpler Special Issuances (SI)cases (examples: Diabetes Type II, Pill controlled; Sleep Apnea) with solid docuentation to be issued "in the field".
    5. How available are you during the year for telephone conversations in case I need advise on how a medical situation (such as an ER visit) will affect my flight medical?
    6. Tell me about a time when an airman's situation became FUBAR with the FAA and you worked as their advocate to assist in getting this fixed. This is something Dr. Chien has been reported to excel at, and has gain lots of respect from folks on these boards because of. You want to have someone who knows how to work a difficult system that is FAA Medical and do his best to keep you flying (as long as you haven't violated any of the "your flying days are over forever" items).
Also ask other general questions to assess their personality, passion for the work, and his/her willingness to be you advocate during difficult situations.

This will take some effort, and perhaps a small expense, but it's well worth it. Like finding the right CFI makes a world of difference for your training, finding the right AME (like Dr. Bruce) will make this part of your flying a much more pleasant experience.

If you would like some tips about how to own your own medical and ace the official and on paper exam, ask and we'll be happy to share.

Thanks everybody for the input. AggieMike88, you make several good points I hadn't thought about so thanks again.

Thanks everybody for the input. AggieMike88, you make several good points I hadn't thought about so thanks again.
Happy to provide. Backlog at OKC continues to be many months. If the airman doesn't have his act together, and the AME isn't very helpful and deferrs the issuance to OKC, then you can be dropped into a "wait for a long time" stack. And then if the documentation is the wrong items or insufficient, the wait can get longer.

Good AME's and good airmen who learn what to do and own their own medicals are the ones who are able to shorten the time between exam and issuance by a massive amount.

Happy to provide. Backlog at OKC continues to be many months. If the airman doesn't have his act together, and the AME isn't very helpful and deferrs the issuance to OKC, then you can be dropped into a "wait for a long time" stack. And then if the documentation is the wrong items or insufficient, the wait can get longer.

Good AME's and good airmen who learn what to do and own their own medicals are the ones who are able to shorten the time between exam and issuance by a massive amount.

Agree.

I also find that the Senior AMEs tend to be better understanding of some of the nuances.

Liked the advice on interviewing the ME, I'll try that.
Toward that end, other than Dr. Armstrong in SAT, does anyone have a recommendation for Austin? I used to use Lyle Koen but he recently died in an airplane crash.
Thanks,

Hello!

I'm going to promote myself by letting everyone know that I'm an AME that has recently set up a new office in Austin. I'm an F-16 senior instructor pilot with the Texas Air National Guard and have my CFII rating - believe me, I know how pilots feel about going to see doctors!

Please consider me when you or a friend are in need of an Aviation Medical Examiner; it would be my pleasure to work with you.

You can learn more and book online by visiting:

http://TexasAME.com

(TexasAME dot com)

You can also call at 512-853-5559 or send a message to info@austinaero.space.

Thank you very much!
Louis

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back