AME Deferred me...

P

Palmac

Ok so my AME deferred my application because for concerns about my blood pressure and also take medication for it. Normally, my blood pressure on avg sits around 135/70. But, because I was nervous at the AME's office, my blood pressure was 152/90. I must have been really nervous for it to be that high. Although, it's still below the FAA's limit of 155/95. Also I passed my color vision test, but when preforming the test it took a bit of time for me to make out some of the numbers. I am not sure if he will note that to the FAA. So basically what I am asking is, since my application has been deferred, what will and should be expecting from the FAA? I hope not to be denied... Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Did you ask the AME these questions? Time for you to go to the red board for Dr. Bruce.

Did you ask the AME these questions? Time for you to go to the red board for Dr. Bruce.

Well he said it's because my blood pressure medication and color vision test are on the edge and wants the FAA to make the call on my medical clearance which makes no sense because I meet the requirement. This will only prolong the clearance...

Well he said it's because my blood pressure medication and color vision test are on the edge and wants the FAA to make the call on my medical clearance which makes no sense because I meet the requirement. This will only prolong the clearance...

Good luck. If you can give a hint as to who the AME is, or what city he practices im, that may help others avoid that person.

Did he only take the BP reading once? There is a protocol for retesting if the first reading is high. I'm guessing he didn't follow that protocol. I'm also going to guess that the lighting in his office isn't what it's supposed to be for the color vision test he performed.

Methinks he overstepped his bounds by differing if you did not exceed the standards.

www.aeromedicaldoc.com

For future reference, always ask for the blood pressure test at the end of the physical. Bynthen you've calmed down and not subject to the "white coat syndrome"

It was at the end of the test. And he has retested me 5 times. And that was the lowest it had gotten. Well, I don't see why the FAA would deny me? Perhaps just question what medication I take... I mean I am still under the limit 155/95. I hope I don't have any issues...

Seek out Dr. Bruce.
Bee 100% honest and humble with him.
Listen to what he has to tell you. Don't argue over the color and texture of any nits.
Follow the instructions he provides.
Health first, fly later

Seek out Dr. Bruce.
Bee 100% honest and humble with him.
Listen to what he has to tell you. Don't argue over the color and texture of any nits.
Follow the instructions he provides.
Health first, fly later

Yeah I had emailed him via his site. I hope it's not a big deal. And I am being 100% honest about my case. But thanks.

Maybe Oklahoma will counsel the AME for not reading the manual. Time to change.

I'm going thru this for the first time, went on BP meds earlier this year, have my first flight physical since in a few weeks. I've already been to my AME for a "consult" and back to my primary care guy. When I go in for the physical I will be armed with:

1. Complete review of pertinent history including personal, social, and family history related to hypertension and risk factor analysis for complications;
2. Statement from treating physician describing the effects of treatment and any risk factor modification program;
3. Representative blood pressure readings;
4. Laboratory testing to include electrolyte, lipid profile, and glucose;
5. Resting ECG.

That's what's required by the FAA per this document.

It sounds like maybe you didn't do your due diligence before going in for your physical?

It was at the end of the test. And he has retested me 5 times. And that was the lowest it had gotten. Well, I don't see why the FAA would deny me? Perhaps just question what medication I take... I mean I am still under the limit 155/95. I hope I don't have any issues...

Your lowest numbers were under the limit -- and by a nose hair, at that. If the other four tests were over the limit, then maybe the AME did you a favor. It sounds like there could be room for improvement in your BP control and/or stress management skills. If either is the case, then dealing with that needs to be your priority. Stroking out at altitude would be a bummer for all concerned.

-Rich

Last edited:
I'm going thru this for the first time, went on BP meds earlier this year, have my first flight physical since in a few weeks. I've already been to my AME for a "consult" and back to my primary care guy. When I go in for the physical I will be armed with:

1. Complete review of pertinent history including personal, social, and family history related to hypertension and risk factor analysis for complications;
2. Statement from treating physician describing the effects of treatment and any risk factor modification program;
3. Representative blood pressure readings;
4. Laboratory testing to include electrolyte, lipid profile, and glucose;
5. Resting ECG.

That's what's required by the FAA per this document.

It sounds like maybe you didn't do your due diligence before going in for your physical?

My AME gave me the same protocol. However, I found out it was deleted April 2013 when the FAA adopted the CACI program. Here's the latest bulletin from the FAA Flight Surgeon on the topic:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...ons/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201403.pdf

Click on the link on page 3 for hypertension and you'll see the "Hypertension Worksheet" that is supposed to be in use now. I'd suggest you make a copy and take it back to the AME. Then ask him to call his contact (perhaps the Regional Flight Surgeon) to confirm that he should be following the CACI program requirements for hypertension.

The article points out that there are still many AME's that are perhaps still not aware of CACI and it's requirements.

If you are on blood pressure meds then your blood pressure needs to be well within the range. If not, that's a red flag. Has nothing to do with being nervous.

Did he only take the BP reading once? There is a protocol for retesting if the first reading is high. I'm guessing he didn't follow that protocol. I'm also going to guess that the lighting in his office isn't what it's supposed to be for the color vision test he performed.

Methinks he overstepped his bounds by differing if you did not exceed the standards.

+1 this comment, the standards exist for a reason. I am sure he wouldn't pass you if you were a couple points over the standard so why would he defer you for being a couple points under the standard?

If you are on blood pressure meds then your blood pressure needs to be well within the range. If not, that's a red flag. Has nothing to do with being nervous.

Absolutely not true!!!! When my Dr's nurse takes my BP it is always high. When my Dr comes in he talks to me about different stuff then retakes my BP and is is always 5 to 7 points less then it was when first read.

Absolutely not true!!!! When my Dr's nurse takes my BP it is always high. When my Dr comes in he talks to me about different stuff then retakes my BP and is is always 5 to 7 points less then it was when first read.

Tell your doctor to hire uglier nurses. :)

My AME gave me the same protocol. However, I found out it was deleted April 2013 when the FAA adopted the CACI program. Here's the latest bulletin from the FAA Flight Surgeon on the topic:

https://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avi...ons/designee_types/ame/fasmb/media/201403.pdf

Click on the link on page 3 for hypertension and you'll see the "Hypertension Worksheet" that is supposed to be in use now. I'd suggest you make a copy and take it back to the AME. Then ask him to call his contact (perhaps the Regional Flight Surgeon) to confirm that he should be following the CACI program requirements for hypertension.

The article points out that there are still many AME's that are perhaps still not aware of CACI and it's requirements.

Interesting, I'll have to read that and see what's changed. Thanks for the link.

As I've pointed out before, most providers have lousy blood pressure taking technique. It's rare that I see it being done correctly (oddly enough my AME did it pretty much right when I was there last month). Common mistakes:

1. Failure to support arm
2. Failure to center bladder over palpated artery
3. Pumping the bladder up to pat. pend. rather than just enough to occlude the pulse by palpation.
4. Repeated or prolonged inflation of the cuff.

Just as with left turning tendency, the errors in blood pressure readings tend to pile up on the erroneously high side. This is all before you get into "white coat syndrome."

If you had the proper supporting documentation from a competent provider, none of what transpired in the office however should have been an issue.

We have a word for those who "barely pass" the vision test, it's called "the applicant meets the standards."

As I've pointed out before, most providers have lousy blood pressure taking technique. It's rare that I see it being done correctly (oddly enough my AME did it pretty much right when I was there last month). Common mistakes:

1. Failure to support arm
2. Failure to center bladder over palpated artery
3. Pumping the bladder up to pat. pend. rather than just enough to occlude the pulse by palpation.
4. Repeated or prolonged inflation of the cuff.

Just as with left turning tendency, the errors in blood pressure readings tend to pile up on the erroneously high side. This is all before you get into "white coat syndrome."

If you had the proper supporting documentation from a competent provider, none of what transpired in the office however should have been an issue.

We have a word for those who "barely pass" the vision test, it's called "the applicant meets the standards."

Just to add to the list. Nurses tend to use the small cuff. I need the large cuff on my arm. It will make a difference in the reading.

I never let a nurse take my blood pressure.

I try to have my blood pressure taken while I am reclined as much as possible. If I am sitting in a chair, like a dinner table chair, waist and knees bent 90 degrees, my blood pressure reads different.

I went in for a medical one time to an AME I didn't know. He had an automatic blood pressure machine. He hooked me up, then said push this button to start, then this button to clear the read out. When I come back, tell me what it showed. :rolleyes2:

Hi Palmac.
Advice from Dr. Bruce is the best you can get.
As others have mentioned, if you are on BP meds., to treat your BP, you will likely have to explain / prove your exceeding the 150/90 is just in your AME's office. Be prepared to get history from your family doctor at the minimum. TV

I went to my allergy doc yesterday to get my annual checkup. My BP was 109/60. I asked if that was considered too low, they said it was on the low end of the range, but was okay. I have never had a BP that low. I suspected the equipment.

Maybe you should get a BP product from Walmart and test yourself at home. If you get a big difference in your result, then insist a retest. Or go to another doc and get it done, if different, insist on a retest. Otherwise, you appear to be stuck. You don't get to ignore what an AME finds. You have to roll with it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back