AME Consultation Only Appointment

T

Throwaway123

If I were to setup a consultation only appointment (no Medxpress filled out in advance) with an AME, is there any risk that an AME would contact the FAA, resulting in a non-expired medical certificate being revoked?

If I were to setup a consultation only appointment (no Medxpress filled out in advance) with an AME, is there any risk that an AME would contact the FAA, resulting in a non-expired medical certificate being revoked?
No. They aren't supposed to. And if you don't mention you already have a medical cert, then don't say anything about it.

But what do I know? I'm just a geek.

You've got to pick your AME carefully and be crystal clear in advance that what transpires in the "consultation" is strictly confidential. The AME has every right to refuse the consultation, and should do that if he can't keep it confidential. And always beware of what the office STAFF can do without the AME's oversight. Bad things can happen that way as well.

You've got to pick your AME carefully and be crystal clear in advance that what transpires in the "consultation" is strictly confidential. The AME has every right to refuse the consultation, and should do that if he can't keep it confidential. And always beware of what the office STAFF can do without the AME's oversight. Bad things can happen that way as well.

Okay, thanks. I assume state this both on the phone when making appointment as well as when seeing the actual doctor?

The problem is, there are no consequences for them doing the wrong. It’s rare. Only cases I’ve seen (and I’ve seen them) were in the case of a ame being owned by a major airline.

I’ve also seen a doc agree to the consultation, tell the pilot he’s gonna issue, got the medexpress going, THEN DEFERRED. Again, zero consequences. Seen this TWICE in the last year.

There are independent companies that do this too. Like AMAS and Pilot Medical Solutions and ...

The problem is, there are no consequences for them doing the wrong. It’s rare. Only cases I’ve seen (and I’ve seen them) were in the case of a ame being owned by a major airline.

I’ve also seen a doc agree to the consultation, tell the pilot he’s gonna issue, got the medexpress going, THEN DEFERRED. Again, zero consequences. Seen this TWICE in the last year.
If you had the time and the money, you could make consequences. In some cases, it may be worth it.

It takes LOTS of BOTH. Trust me.

AMAS is FAR from independent, and actually contrary in many cases.

Back