AME Class 2 Medical Question

Darren Shopbell

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
DS_Member
Recent exposure to Light sports plane - loved it. Decided to pursue another degree and in this case Aviation. Prior veteran who is 100% disabled vet. One of my items is "Adjustment Disorder" rating was 3+yrs ago. Never taken any meds, never seen docs for it. School requires a class 2 medical and submitted via medxpress a form. I am supposed to see AME this week, but after reading these forums, I am a little discouraged to even pursue this. Thoughts?

@lbfjrmd @bbchien @Brad Douglas MD MPH AME

Is it the flight School or actually the VA that wants the Class 2?

My understanding of VA benefits was that they were to be oriented to

starting a new career. Eons ago they would not pay for PPL but they would

for ratings leading to a Professional Pilot career.

You EARNED this so don’t give up too early and get some good med advice from

the folks that know.

Thank you for your service and enjoy Veterans Day.

Flight School through Liberty University. Aviation BS degree, part of it is Flight school and to enroll need to get class 2. VA Voc Rehab is diff topic, moreless curious if the hassle of dealing with some of these "adjustment disorder" ratings with FAA is too much hassle to even pursue

Definitely hold off on going to the AME appointment until you have all the answers and know unequivocally you will be issued your medical certificate (even it takes a while)

Definitely hold off on going to the AME appointment until you have all the answers and know unequivocally you will be issued your medical certificate (even it takes a while)
How would I get my answers? best to call AME and just have frank conversation before even wasting his/my time?

So much depends on what’s in your record, darren, it’s tough to say if it can succeed, blind.....

Get a consult first...don’t go for the physical. On FAA’s “find an AME” page, click on “find a HIMS AME”(at the bottom), and pick one. We are FAA trained in Av Psychiatry. Someone has to read that record.....

@Darren Shopbell … in addition to the list of HIMS AMEs Dr. Bruce mentioned, tell us the city/State you are located in and maybe someone here can give you a specific recommendation.

Attachments

• List of HIMS AMEs.pdf
    429.8 KB · Views: 130
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back