AME catches one

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
I was talking with my medical examiner yesterday while doing my obligatory turn as a lab specimen, and she mentioned a guy who had come in recently for a student pilot certificate. He had left question 18 (w) blank, which asks "History of nontraffic conviction(s) (misdemeanors or felonies)." He said, "well, I do have a prison record."

"Oh really?"

"Actually, I'm on parole"

He was on parole after serving time for drug trafficking by boat. And now he wanted a pilot certificate. Makes you want to say, "Hmmmmmmmmm."

Ken Ibold said:
I was talking with my medical examiner yesterday while doing my obligatory turn as a lab specimen, and she mentioned a guy who had come in recently for a student pilot certificate. He had left question 18 (w) blank, which asks "History of nontraffic conviction(s) (misdemeanors or felonies)." He said, "well, I do have a prison record."

"Oh really?"

"Actually, I'm on parole"

He was on parole after serving time for drug trafficking by boat. And now he wanted a pilot certificate. Makes you want to say, "Hmmmmmmmmm."

Wassa matter? If a guy IN prison for vehicular homicide while driving drunk, who is banned from driving for the next 5 years can solo as a student pilot, what's wrong with this guy?

http://www.avweb.com/newswire/12_06a/briefs/191524-1.html

As picky as the FAA is, you would think there would be a background check and criminal history reqirement before someone could take lessons. You have to do it to get your DL, why not PPL?:dunno:

Dean said:
As picky as the FAA is, you would think there would be a background check and criminal history reqirement before someone could take lessons. You have to do it to get your DL, why not PPL?:dunno:

Maybe in your state they do a background check for DL but not in my state.

There already is a requirement for a security check for foreign students and anyone getting training in aircraft over 12,500lbs (at least I remember reading we were doing that). But running a background check that can take several weeks to months for someone to jump into a bug smasher might be overkill IMHO.

smigaldi said:

All states do it, when you go to the DMV the run you through NCIC and their local state system, ours is called MULES. If you have any criminal history, on parole, driving record or active warrants, it shows up as a "Hit" with the information. Some employers require BG checks before employment starts and it can be done through their local PD or Sheriffs Office. This could be an easy requirement for student pilots to do before they can start lessons.

Why would a drug runner need a license. If he gets caught running drugs with an airplane, lack of an FAA license is going to be the least of his worries. How likely is it that he, or anyone else, will be required to show their license? I have never been asked to show mine.

Dean said:
smigaldi said:

All states do it, when you go to the DMV the run you through NCIC and their local state system, ours is called MULES. If you have any criminal history, on parole, driving record or active warrants, it shows up as a "Hit" with the information. Some employers require BG checks before employment starts and it can be done through their local PD or Sheriffs Office. This could be an easy requirement for student pilots to do before they can start lessons.
I am aware of the NCIC check, I was thinking of the finger print check which is what I am used to as being a background check. We were having a terminology difference.

Dean said:

They may check when you get your driver's licence but not before you can take lessons. And I believe that the check is not even done until after you get the licence.

Bobby Day said:
Why would a drug runner need a license. If he gets caught running drugs with an airplane, lack of an FAA license is going to be the least of his worries. How likely is it that he, or anyone else, will be required to show their license? I have never been asked to show mine.

Even when renting a plane? Perhaps this drug runner isn't able to steal one and needs the (student) license to rent.

lancefisher said:
Even when renting a plane? Perhaps this drug runner isn't able to steal one and needs the (student) license to rent.

I guess T.A.P. and a big wad of cash won't work for him.

If he's that incompetent, what is he going to say when he shows up at US customs at his scheduled arrival time with a water matress half full of gas, the landing gear partially spread due to being overloaded and the dope dog going bonkers?

This is all we need...another regulation to supplement 91.19 which we already have in place. :rolleyes:

Bobby Day said:
To learn to fly in the first place?

fgcason said:
I guess T.A.P. and a big wad of cash won't work for him.

Unnecessary, you get a free plane from the guy trying to get out whose deliveries you're gonna take over. They'll probably throw in the flight lessons as well.

Back