Amazon says months!?!

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by benyflyguy, Jun 5, 2019.

1. Jeff Oslick

Jeff Oslick En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    Airport require an EIS to build, or substantial modify. Low altitude drones have more of a potential impact on wildlife than airliners.

2. ircphoenix

ircphoenix En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ircphoenix
    If a 79 dB drone whisks overhead at 20 mph at 100 AGL, it's far different and less annoying than the neighbor next door using a weed whacker or mower for an hour. I'm sure you'll manage.

Gerhardt likes this.
  3. sarangan

sarangan Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Andrew Sarangan, CFII
    Just the decibels is not what bothers people. It is the unfamiliarity of the noise, how sustained it is and their own preconceived notion about the noise. My neighborhood has been complaining about airport noise even though lawn mowers, barking dogs and muscle cars create far more noise. My prediction is that consumers will stop being bothered by drone noise once they start getting their speedy deliveries.

Katamarino, ircphoenix and Gerhardt like this.
  4. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    It's 0.4 miles as the drone flies from my fixer-upper house to Lowe's! I usually drive, but if they can drop ten bags of mulch with a drone, I'd pay just to see it.

ircphoenix likes this.
  5. Sluggo63

Sluggo63 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sluggo63
  6. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    I'll be interested in seeing how the Amazon Web site describes the limits of and requirements for drone delivery once they start the service.

7. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    One thing I'm wondering is whether Amazon's drones will be autonomous, as opposed to remotely piloted. The article in the OP's link makes it sound like the former, which seems like a tall order, especially in an urban environment.

8. benyflyguy

benyflyguy Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    benyflyguy
    What are the current limits given technology?? Range? Weight? Weather considerations??

9. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    What FAR part are they operating under? Part 107 doesn’t allow for autonomous operations, or even beyond line-of-sight of somebody associated with the operator.

benyflyguy likes this.
  10. Sundancer

Sundancer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Sundog
    I hope they navigate with GPS - I'll be the most successful (porch) pirate in history! A car battery, some software, and a few other parts, and I'll have a massive supply of shoe strings, high-end coffee, gummy bears, tasteful kitchen utensils, wet wipes, and fidget spinners. . .

Once I'm fully stocked, I'll have 'em flying procedure turns, then holding, until the batterys die.

11. deyoung

deyoung Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Chris
    My guess is they'll roll out first in Europe while they work out the details with the FAA.

12. overdrive148

overdrive148 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    overdrive148
    Part 333 Exemption. It's also possible to fly autonomously under Part 107 - you just have to have a remote PIC monitoring the flight (I do orthographic inspections where the drone flies itself, I just stand there sipping coffee ready to take control). You can get a waiver specifically for beyond visual line of sight under Part 107 as well.

deonb likes this.
  13. Lachlan

Lachlan En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lachlan
    I disagree about poor planning in this case. In procrastinating, you caused the work you were attempting to accomplish to be deemed urgent. You wasted precious life moments and put yourself under a shortened deadline. Your failure to plan for a work area and a separate break room for consumption of victuals allowed you to place a liquid near in incompatible solid. Furthermore, your insistence on stocking the work are with said liquid was clumsily executed both by the spill, and by a lack of prior planning to contain the beverage in a spill-proof travel cup. Hope this process improvement analysis helps get your bushes elevated to the next level, where “Bring your dog to work day” can present additional challenges couples with insurmountable joy. :)

deonb likes this.
  14. Crashnburn

Crashnburn Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Crashnburn
    I resemble that remark. :)

15. Somedudeintn

Somedudeintn Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Wayne F
    I’ll be waiting for when I can get my lunch delivered to the office by drone!

16. Jim_R

Jim_R Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim
    Have you ever ordered a pizza delivered? Even if you answer "no" (which would shock me...who hasn't ever ordered a pizza at some point in their life?), can you at least understand why some people who are different from you might find that service attractive? Once you grant that, is it really so hard to imagine that some folks would be interested in the ability to order something other than a pizza and having it delivered quickly?

17. airdale

airdale Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    airdale
    And the weight of the cancer warning stickers will cut significantly into payload capability.

Jeff Oslick likes this.