Amazon.com

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
Anyone have any experience using their site for purchasing used books and dvd's?

I am always very leery of paying for anything online, and especially used equipment from places like ebay.

My wife and I have both purchased several textbooks through Amazon. I feel more comfortable purchasing stuff through them than through EBay. It might be a false sense of security, but I don't feel like there is as much of a risk of getting hosed by an individual like on EBay.

Nothing wrong with Amazon.com; I've used them for years, never had any complaints.

Amazon is as trustworthy as you get. I've literally spent tens of thousands of dollars with them over the years, with never a single complaint. I'd rather buy from a third-party merchant through Amazon than directly from the third-party site, even if it costs a bit more, just to get Amazon's guarantee. No merchant wants to be on Amazon's bad side.

What Brian said. We regularly do a large portion of our holiday shopping through Amazon, and have never had a problem.

I trust Amazon totally (well, as totally as you can trust any merchant). We've bought tons of stuff thru them, including a few big ticket items, with no problems at all. Ditto on the third party merchants not wanting to cross swords with them.

I use Amazon a lot and have never had any problem with them or their third party vendors. I have also returned items which I decided that I didn't want without any issues.

Anyone have any experience using their site for purchasing used books and dvd's?

I am always very leery of paying for anything online, and especially used equipment from places like ebay.

I made one purchase, by PayPal. the money was transfered quickly. the book took 6 weeks to be delivered.

I made one purchase, by PayPal. the money was transfered quickly. the book took 6 weeks to be delivered.

Sorry to hear that happened, Tom! With my years of experience with them, I'd have to say that's the exception, not the rule. I actually usually receive items from Amazon (and from NewEgg!) faster than I paid for or anticipate.

The exception is if they say the book isn't in stock--then it can take a while. But if they show it in stock, I get it fast. I suppose the fact they have multiple warehouses across the country helps with that. Speaking of which, I saw the other day that Amazon.com provides fulfillment services for any business--including yours! Did you know that?? http://www.amazonservices.com/fulfillment/

I've had very good results - occasionally a book I wanted wasn't readily available, but the merchant told me that immediately, and gave me the option to cancel.

There's a feedback rating for the used book sellers on Amazon, although I haven't seen many under 95% positive.

I've bought many used books through Amazon and have never had a problem.

I think honesty in the book condition claim they make is a code of honor with used book sellers. It's nice that some industry has a code of honor.

For other used stuff on Amazon like electronics, it's mostly OK. I bought some supposedly factory refurbed Panasonic 5.8Ghz add-on wireless phones and one or two will go cold dead with little warning. I'm thinking it's all due to bad batteries. I still use the phones all day everyday, especially for work. I just don't let the batteries run down past 2 bars. I'm about to buy a couple of new batteries. The phones were half price and I found an eBay store selling new batteries for $6 + shipping so I could replace all of the batteries and still be ahead.

Last edited:
I've actually SOLD some of my old books using Amazon's 3rd party service (I was the seller)... worked quite well, better way to thin out my library than tossing them, too!

I've actually SOLD some of my old books using Amazon's 3rd party service (I was the seller)... worked quite well, better way to thin out my library than tossing them, too!

I didn't know you could do 'small order sales' on Amazon. I have some old textbooks listed on Half.com, but I would bet that Amazon gets more traffic than half.com. Hmmmm...

Amazon is great. I bought a $60 textbook for $.89 + $7 shipping. I was very worried but it got here and it's in great condition.

I buy all of my textbooks through Amazon. I've never had an issue.

Back