Amazon.com to open brick & mortar stores?

Oh, I hope not! That would mean that they would have a local nexus and there would be no doubt that they would need to collect sales tax!

A better idea would be for UPS or FedEx to put together a "general delivery" type operation, where you could just stop by their locations to pick up your packages. Their existing customer pickup at the terminal, however, would not be a good model, because I've almost always found them to be inefficient, poorly staffed, difficult to find, and rude.

I agree, Grant. Leveraging the existing U-Ship-It or 24-hour retail grocery stores as a place where they (UPS/Fedex) drop off all local residential-delivery packages, and you just get an email saying "your package is ready for pickup" makes a lot more sense (economically and ecologically) than them driving around neighborhoods, not delivering because you're not home, then making you drive into town to the terminal to pick it up.

(I have a FedEx waiver of signature on file, so they leave the package anyway, but that also adds a crime / theft risk).

Back