Amazing S.F. Fleet Week pictures

mikea

Touchdown! Greaser!
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iWin
http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a

Great stuff. Who knew a DSLR could be that fast? My compact digitals certainly aren't.

He's offering prints. I'd be tempted to get one or two.

Did the low pass actually go under the Golden Gate?

Last edited:
Ya beat me to posting, Mike! :)

A friend had sent those to me via IM about twenty minutes before you posted.

Those are really great! I have some pictures of Witchcraft from WWD this past summer. Great pieces of history. The shockwave is amazing too.

http://home.comcast.net/~bzee1a

Great stuff. Who knew a DSLR could be that fast? My compact digitals certainly aren't.

He's offering prints. I'd be tempted to get one or two.

Did the low pass actually go under the Golden Gate?

Thanks for posting, especially the shockwave PIX and low pass, which must be photo shopped as the military disipline of The Blues would NEVER permit them to do that among the boats! (yeah, right).

I love being on the airfields and general area while they're flying.

Thanks for posting, especially the shockwave PIX and low pass, which must be photo shopped as the military disipline of The Blues would NEVER permit them to do that among the boats! (yeah, right).

I love being on the airfields and general area while they're flying.

It looks like from some of the pics that the harbor patrol cleared a lane in the water.

I know at the Chicago Air and Water Show the Coast Guard has the box in the harbor marked with lines and buoys and no boats are allowed to enter.

I was out on the lake with the Friends of Meigs. The Blues made their entrance in formation at high speed from out in the lake (after a time interval of quiet to heighten the suspense), but I don't remember a particular solo low pass.

Pretty cool to actually be able to see the shock pattern:

DSC_7901a_crop.jpg

I know at the Chicago Air and Water Show the Coast Guard has the box in the harbor marked with lines and buoys and no boats are allowed to enter.

I was out on the lake with the Friends of Meigs. The Blues made their entrance in formation at high speed from out in the lake (after a time interval of quiet to heighten the suspense), but I don't remember a particular solo low pass.

I've enjoyed seeing them do some things out of any boxes, like ground effect low, 360 degree aileron rolls. Not dangerous for them to do and very cool to see impromptu.

Last edited:

When I saw them at Navy Brunswick a month ago they did the solo sneak pass.

The four-ship diamond and the opposing solo did one of their high speed crosses at show center then pulled hard away from the flight line to turn around. Of course everyone is watching the five ships as they turn out bound, so they don't see the sixth ship coming in very low from behind the crowd, narrowly subsonic, with his afterburners working hard. You could hear the entire crowd gasp (before they all lost their hearing) as he screamed over head then buzzed the tower (he was well below the cab). It was probably one of my favorite parts of the show!

I love Richard Seaman's stuff...he has some amazing photos from over the years!

Back