Amazing animation

Neat animation.

To try to answer your question: they make lots of 'em and have cheap labor for assembly?

Neat animation.

To try to answer your question: they make lots of 'em and have cheap labor for assembly?
I guess. That thing sure is complex. I wonder how many it takes before you could build one blindfolded.:smile:

It just gives me a sick feeling in the pit of the stomach,,,
WE used to be the technology giant of the world... Due to insane and unsane laws - labor, social, union, environmental, manufacturing, liability, and many others - enacted by a Congress hostile to manufacturing and industry, we have lost our manufacturing base and are rapidly becoming just another Banana Republic, albeit huge...
QUOTE:
On June 26 2009, Jeff Immelt, the CEO of General Electric, called for the United States to increase its manufacturing base employment to 20% of the workforce, commenting that the U.S. has outsourced too much in some areas and can no longer rely on the financial sector and consumer spending to drive demand.
UNQUOTE

A case in point: When the battleship IOWA had an explosionhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manufacturing#cite_note-Immelt-4 destroying gun turret 2, the decision was made to make cosmetic repairs enough to allow the gun to rotate for show... The turret sits on a ring gear some 20 feet across... The Navy found that there was no manufacturer left in the USA able to fabricate and machine such a gear... A foundry joined up with a firm in Canada to bend a ring and machine the inside teeth into a new ring gear... That's right: The government of the USA had to go begging in Canada to find a company that had a lathe large enough to do the job (it was a WWII lathe in cosmoline that had been gathering dust in a shed for 40 years)
How far the mighty have fallen...

denny-o

It just gives me a sick feeling in the pit of the stomach,,,
WE used to be the technology giant of the world... Due to insane and unsane laws - labor, social, union, environmental, manufacturing, liability, and many others - enacted by a Congress hostile to manufacturing and industry, we have lost our manufacturing base and are rapidly becoming just another Banana Republic, albeit huge...
QUOTE:
On June 26 2009, Jeff Immelt, the CEO of General Electric, called for the United States to increase its manufacturing base employment to 20% of the workforce, commenting that the U.S. has outsourced too much in some areas and can no longer rely on the financial sector and consumer spending to drive demand.
UNQUOTE

A case in point: When the battleship IOWA had an explosion destroying gun turret 2, the decision was made to make cosmetic repairs enough to allow the gun to rotate for show... The turret sits on a ring gear some 20 feet across... The Navy found that there was no manufacturer left in the USA able to fabricate and machine such a gear... A foundry joined up with a firm in Canada to bend a ring and machine the inside teeth into a new ring gear... That's right: The government of the USA had to go begging in Canada to find a company that had a lathe large enough to do the job (it was a WWII lathe in cosmoline that had been gathering dust in a shed for 40 years)
How far the mighty have fallen...

denny-o

That would be a problem if we had a big need for battleships.

We don't.

GE is swirling the drain. I guess all that six-sigma stuff didn't work out so well for them. The only think Immelt can do is posture and manuver for a government bailout. And it's incredibly ironic that his posturing involves railing about increasing our manufacturing base, since they're one of the biggest outsourcing bags of crap out there.

Trapper John

British colonies in 1946: >200

US Colonies in 2009: 0

THAT'S IT!! WE NEED TO COLONIZE!! (why didn't I think of this before?)

Obama is at the UN, maybe they will let him speak again and he can say, "anyone listening who'd like their country to become a colony or territory of the US, rise up, defeat your leaders, and give us a call"

It's not really that special. It's not hard to do at all, just time consuming. Build the individual components and then assemble. Assign each component a vector the exploded view, and then record the animation of the assembly. We did something similar in high school with some less complex.

Back