Amateur Historians: Identify this plane, please

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
This photo was taken on the Lake Michigan beach in Racine, WI -- my hometown -- in what appears to be the early 1900s. A local historian is trying to piece together the story of what, exactly, is going on here, and I've volunteered to help.

Although it's hard to see, to me this looks like an early float plane. They have it oriented toward the water, and the beach is too narrow there for a land plane to take off. Perhaps they were just repositioning it for a Northbound departure up the beach, parallel to shore -- but that area is pretty rough. I could name half a dozen better runways in Racine than that beach, so this scenario seems unlikely.

Anyone know what type of plane this is? Care to venture a guess who it may be? Thanks!

ea41831a32b46b73fc2444b815c00090.jpg

With the outboard ailerons between the wings I would guess it's a Curtiss.

Mark

Looks like it might be an early Curtiss float plane. It's got mid strut ailerons. The tail looks like a later Curtiss shape though.

John

what's the tail number? :goofy:

could have something to do with this guy:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logan_Archbold_Vilas

or

"Paul Gnauck and Jack Vilas successfully fly the Wisconsin Aero Club’s flying boat over the Lake Michigan beach" excerpt from Wisconsin Aviation Hall of Fame archive

Last edited:
This photo was taken on the Lake Michigan beach in Racine, WI -- my hometown -- in what appears to be the early 1900s. A local historian is trying to piece together the story of what, exactly, is going on here, and I've volunteered to help.

Although it's hard to see, to me this looks like an early float plane. They have it oriented toward the water, and the beach is too narrow there for a land plane to take off. Perhaps they were just repositioning it for a Northbound departure up the beach, parallel to shore -- but that area is pretty rough. I could name half a dozen better runways in Racine than that beach, so this scenario seems unlikely.

Anyone know what type of plane this is? Care to venture a guess who it may be? Thanks!

Looks like a Curtiss Model F.

Cool picture.

Unfortunately the link takes me to a list of other collections, none of which are apparently relevant. Which one should I select?

Very frustrating that I can't link to that specific entry in their collections.

Here's the info that was with this picture. Perhaps you could contact someone there for more info:

Title: Hydroplane from Victory Liberty Loan forced to land on Beach
Date: 1919-05-13
Place: Racine County (Wisconsin)
Description: Hydroplane from Victory Liberty Loan forced to land on North Beach in Racine, Wisconsin
LCSH Subjects: Airplanes
Language: English
Type: StillImage
Format: Black and white photograph / 5 inches by 3.5 inches
Identifier: MC011p001
Is Part Of: Aviation History of Racine and Kenosha
The State of Wisconsin Collection
Rights: The Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System
Terms: For more information, comments, or reproductions, please email archives@uwp.edu.
Submitter: University of Wisconsin-Parkside
Local Identifier: WI.pah0002.bib

Seems like the pic in the OP has fewer vertical "spreaders"

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me.

Umm...outboard floats may be different.
I'm not convinced these are the same plane.:dunno:

Ok, I've found 5-6 features that indicate different planes.

Last edited:
Back