Am i totally screwed?

U

Unregistered

Since my medical was last issued the following has happened:

Had depression (going through ex wife's cancer and a divorce.) took pristiq for just over a year.

Went to the ER after fainting (vasovagal syncope caused by acute bronchitis), hasn't reoccured since

Took Chantix to quit smoking

Am i totally screwed?

Contact Dr. Bruce Chien directly for the best answers and guidance. www.aeromedicaldoc.com

email and phone# can be found on the "Contact Information" tab at the top.

+1,000 on contacting Dr. Chien.

DO NOT, under any circumstances, apply for or take any action directed at applying for your renewal until you have consulted with Bruce.

Even if your treatment for any cited conditions (or others as-yet uncited ones) is not complete, contact Doc asap to tailor your treatment, and (maybe even more important) the charting thereof as required.

Pristiq is a medication that is not allowed. Dr. Bruce can provide the particulars, but I can say for sure there are a certain set of hoops and a certain set of documentation you must go through and obtain to over come that.

Same with Chantix.

ER visit might be as simple as documentation from the hospital. However, because there was loss of consciousness, the FAA is going to want to obtain enough details to know this isn't a recurring thing.

Again.... go directly to Dr. Bruce and contract with him (aka pay his fee) to get the correct guidance to sort this out.... don't rely on the gallery here, that while well meaning, doesn't have the "I've gotten airmen with this condition certified" track record that Bruce has.

Since my medical was last issued the following has happened:

Had depression (going through ex wife's cancer and a divorce.) took pristiq for just over a year.

Went to the ER after fainting (vasovagal syncope caused by acute bronchitis), hasn't reoccured since

Took Chantix to quit smoking

Am i totally screwed?

My first impression is that you're not screwed, but you need the right doc and the right docs. I can tell you firsthand that Dr. Bruce will give it to you straight and get the job done.

Just out of curiosity, did you stop flying when this stuff went on? Are there repercussions if you keep flying while taking banned meds? Do they ask or check to see if you were flying while on the meds?

Yes, yes, yes. His rates are very reasonable. Be sure to be completely honest with him on the first contact. He does not suffer dishonestly in any way. After that, do exactly as instructed. If you do not understand what he wants ask for clarification. Good luck.

Are there repercussions if you keep flying while taking banned meds?

If discovered by an agency inspector, especially during an incident or accident investigation, yes, there are consequences.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable (like Ron) to explain what.

I would discuss it with the dr. First and if all else fails you can still fly light sport.

If discovered by an agency inspector, especially during an incident or accident investigation, yes, there are consequences.

I'll leave it to the more knowledgeable (like Ron) to explain what.

Yeah, I know there's trouble if you have an incident while taking them. Very bad idea. If you take a banned medication that will require documentation/tests when you renew (e.g. anti-depressants), are you required to self-ground between the time you stop the meds and renew your medical?

Yeah, I know there's trouble if you have an incident while taking them. Very bad idea. If you take a banned medication that will require documentation/tests when you renew (e.g. anti-depressants), are you required to self-ground between the time you stop the meds and renew your medical?

Based on everything I've heard from the Doc? Yes.

OP here,

I flew as PIC about 6 months after i stopped taking the chantix and the pristiq

As so many have posted, contact Dr. Bruce Chien in Peoria and engage him on a consulting engagement. You can PM him here on this board. That's what I did prior to me getting my medical. Well worth the consultation fee. He tells you what documentation you need to address the particular issues you are facing, and frankly, he will be in a good position to tell you if you are "screwed". I deal with the IRS in my profession all the time, and when dealing with government types, you need to know where they are coming from and what guidebooks and rules they follow. If you don't you can really hurt your cause. Good luck!

OP here,

I flew as PIC about 6 months after i stopped taking the chantix and the pristiq
I wouldn't tell the FAA that you flew after being diagnosed and taking those meds before going through the process Bruce will describe. And I wouldn't fly again until completing that process.

I wouldn't tell the FAA that you flew after being diagnosed and taking those meds before going through the process Bruce will describe. And I wouldn't fly again until completing that process.

This.

And I wouldn't be posting it in an online forum, either. Not even anonymously.

I can't imagine that taking Chantix is a problem, I think you can fly 72 hours after stopping. With depression, though, medicated or not, you can't fly without showing that treatment was successful, and even then you're grounded until you do that. You lose your certificate for not informing the FAA about your depression, but you could if you continue to fly without showing successful treatment.

Depending on the reason, the depression might not be a problem at all. I went through a bout when I got divorced. A simple letter from the doc who treated me, and it didn't even raise so much as an eyebrow.

Wow !

4 years ago I almost took Chantix to quit smoking. At about the same time, I got the news that my aunt had throat cancer. When I went to see her, she took my pack of smokes and made me promise to quit right now. She died 4 months later and I never smoked again. Is there a "list" of prohibited meds ?

Is there a "list" of prohibited meds ?

Yes. AOPA maintains a database that's reasonably accurate. It will say prohibited, allowed, or allowed with special consideration (aka requires additional documentation)

If any questions though, email Doctor Bruce. He is good about keeping up with emails and answering questions.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back