Am I the last naive moron out there?

It’s common to charge extra for a “steep pitch”. On my house I have 2 sections that are considered steep. I think it means the roofers have to take special precautions. Do they? Dunno.

The OP's situation is like every situation I come into that deals with roofers, painters, landscapers, tree services, housekeepers, etc. While I make a real effort to hold contractors to "only legal labor", it isn't like I'm checking the documents for everyone who shows up on my property. Generally, I give the contractor a scope of work, including non-negotiables, when I solicit a quote, but I'm not going to check the ID on everyone who shows up. That's the contractor's job and if it becomes an issue, I'll make sure it is his issue, not mine.

Sorry man, it was just hanging there, of course you are not a moron or naïve. I have a similar story going on now, you take people at their word, sometimes they disappoint.

It’s common to charge extra for a “steep pitch”. On my house I have 2 sections that are considered steep. I think it means the roofers have to take special precautions. Do they? Dunno.

Yes. They have to pound in a third nail to tie off the sisal rope they use as a safety harness.

Back when I lived in a condo, there was a project to redo the roofs and the decks in each building. The roof was done by a bunch of Hispanic workers. They started work exactly at 8, took a lunch break, and worked straight till 5. They cleaned up every little bit of trash and were pretty quiet aside from their tools. When it came time for the decks to get done, it was a crew of white guys. They'd start work about 915, maybe, and sometimes worked all the way till 5. They had a battery powered boom box that had a volume knob that went to 11, and enjoyed using a 4 letter word that started with F. When they were done, there was trash everywhere, from Dunkin Donuts coffee cups to nails and wood scraps. I have no idea what the immigration status of the roofers was, but if I was in charge of hiring one or the other, I wouldn't have been calling the white guys.

Back when I lived in a condo, there was a project to redo the roofs and the decks in each building. The roof was done by a bunch of Hispanic workers. They started work exactly at 8, took a lunch break, and worked straight till 5. They cleaned up every little bit of trash and were pretty quiet aside from their tools. When it came time for the decks to get done, it was a crew of white guys. They'd start work about 915, maybe, and sometimes worked all the way till 5. They had a battery powered boom box that had a volume knob that went to 11, and enjoyed using a 4 letter word that started with F. When they were done, there was trash everywhere, from Dunkin Donuts coffee cups to nails and wood scraps. I have no idea what the immigration status of the roofers was, but if I was in charge of hiring one or the other, I wouldn't have been calling the white guys.

Yeah, I've seen good workers and slobs out of both of the "categories", white and Hispanic, you choose to use to classify people. I choose to use slobs and good workers. Good and bad workers come in both of these chosen "categories" or in other words, race, which is a useless way evaluate people.

If the "white" roofers "won't" work on that pitch, it should be a huge red flag. That contractor probably bid that job banking on being able to pay below wage and without proper safety equipment in order to get it done with fewer man-hours on the clock.

I've been taken advantage of by contractor tactics like this, as well as the old "job-change-order" scam. You live and learn.

He has you over a barrel, best suck it up, do what it takes to get the job done to your satisfaction, then as you pay him off, let him know you won't be dealing with him again. In my experience, the alternatives will all cost much more $$$.

If the "white" roofers "won't" work on that pitch, it should be a huge red flag. That contractor probably bid that job banking on being able to pay below wage and without proper safety equipment in order to get it done with fewer man-hours on the clock.

I've been taken advantage of by contractor tactics like this, as well as the old "job-change-order" scam. You live and learn.

He has you over a barrel, best suck it up, do what it takes to get the job done to your satisfaction, then as you pay him off, let him know you won't be dealing with him again. In my experience, the alternatives will all cost much more $$$.
These guys have more work than they can handle. They couldn't care less about your future business.

These guys have more work than they can handle. They couldn't care less about your future business.

No perfect solutions. The best one though will be to get the roof done in the minimum amount of time at the agreed upon price, right?

If he keeps ****ing customers off, he won't be in business for long anyway.

It’s Saturday, so did they show up to finish?
Like I said previously, things have gotten more complicated and I don’t want to try to explain all the nuances in detail, but it looks like the work may be done today. The one guy that was apparently legal came yesterday and worked all by himself all day; he got 85% of the hangar done. There are 4 here today.

As a side note since it has come up, one guy wore a harness for doing the bottom edges on the house, but he took it off after that. It’s steep enough that if they set a bundle on the paper it’ll slide off. You don’t have to ask how I know. They will stay put if they’re on a shingle.

Back