RightFlyingKid

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
HELLO!
My name is Brad, and
I am an inspired Future Pilot.
I'd like some advice from other people who have love for the skies!

SO! Here's where I am at. On Aug. 10th Ill be going to Mississippi State University and enrolling into AFROTC. i will be majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I'm looking to go into the Airforce. I'd love to fly fighters (plan A) My first question is ( will majoring in aerospace engineering increase my chances of being selected as a fighter pilot?)
If plan A fails, I would like to be a hurricane hunter piloting C-130's (plan b)
Next question is ( Is there another Direction i should go to get to where i want to be?)
I have talk to personnel that have had experience in both career paths, however I feel I need more advice :) please help!

Last edited:
Welcome first. I was never in the AF, but I have to say on the face of it an aero eng degree with ROTC background should be top notch for entry into the AF flight program. It's not guarantee, but that's a good way to go.

thank you! i Have been planning this for quite some time now.
I thought it would be nice to get some other opinions on it

You will want to get at least your Private before you graduate, which shouldn't be a problem as you have time. As far as going active duty to get a pilots slot you will end up with whichever airframe they assign you to based on how you perform in pilot training. The Air National Guard is also another option. After graduation you submit packets to ANG wings that fly your airframe of choice, both are incredibly tough to get into but you with the ANG you can apply to only those wings that fly the jet you want. From what I've heard the field of degree you get doesn't matter that much, they're more interested in your GPA/AFOQT/TBAS in the Guard.

Sounds Great!!! I have actually completed AGS within the last 6 months. All I have to do now is take the Oral exam and fly solo

You're doing the right thing.

And I flew in both the USAF and ANG, so I know both programs.

Your engineering degree will not impact whether you fly fighters, bombers, transports or UAS. Your performance at flight school will make those determinations.

You are off to a great start!

HELLO!
My name is Brad, and

SO! Here's where I am at. On Aug. 10th Ill be going to Mississippi State University and enrolling into AFROTC. i will be majoring in Aerospace Engineering. I'm looking to go into the Airforce. I'd love to fly fighters (plan A) My first question is ( will majoring in aerospace engineering increase my chances of being selected as a fighter pilot?)
If plan A fails, I would like to be a hurricane hunter piloting C-130's (plan b)
Next question is ( Is there another Direction i should go to get to where i want to be?)
I have talk to personnel that have had experience in both career paths, however I feel I need more advice :) please help!

If you want to fly you dont want to join the regular airforce.

Get your 4 year degree in anything (I'd pick something medical or business related), get your private or at least private glider, THEN apply for a Air National Guard slot.

You will be applying DIRECTLY for a flying position, it's really hard to get in, but if you do it's a flying gig.

FYI, be sure you're down with the mission, you will be getting paid to KILL OTHER PEOPLE, you're going to a foreign country, based upon the will of some senator types (who aint going over there), to kill folks, do you research and dont buy into the hype.

Just be sure you're OK with that.

Get your 4 year degree in anything (I'd pick something medical or business related), get your private or at least private glider, THEN apply for a Air National Guard slot.

You will be applying DIRECTLY for a flying position, it's really hard to get in, but if you do it's a flying gig.

You can say that again especially with existing active duty guys wanting those same slots.

HELLO!
My name is Brad, and

When I was in the AF about a million years ago, it was almost the same as it is now with regards to assignments. Your major wasn't even considered. I agree with the other guys. Your aircraft assignment is based on your flight school performance and what airframe is available. If you are even considering the AF as a career, then your Aerospace Engineering degree could come in handy. It also helps if you ever need to look at an outside job with an aviation company. Good luck with your career.

The part about it being VERY hard to get a slot?

Or the part about needing a 4 year degree?

Or that part about getting at least a PPL first?

The part about it being VERY hard to get a slot?

Or the part about needing a 4 year degree?

Or that part about getting at least a PPL first?

Sorry. I was actually speaking to the part about getting a slot. But, I had my instrument rating before I went to OTS and didn't find it all that useful but it certainly couldn't hurt. the 4-year degree is an obvious requirement.

FYI, be sure you're down with the mission, you will be getting paid to KILL OTHER PEOPLE, you're going to a foreign country, based upon the will of some senator types (who aint going over there), to kill folks, do you research and dont buy into the hype.

Just be sure you're OK with that.

True, but from thousands of feet in the air it probably doesn't feel like your really killing anybody it's like a video game.

True, but from thousands of feet in the air it probably doesn't feel like your really killing anybody it's like a video game.

On the mission, maybe. At night...

I'm in a related field, yes it does weigh on you. And if it doesn't, your coworkers will gladly remind you that you work for "slaughter, pillage, and big booms INC".

The military is a worthwhile thing to do, and can be a good career. Just never forget that it's not like the 9-5 world.

Devil's advocate here. Could be you don't wind up with a flying spot but do wind up with a lengthy commitment. Could be you do your 15 or 16 and the Air Force says "gosh its been nice, so long no retirement for you" as they've been in the habit of doing lately.

Could be something heats up and you're dropping bombs on people.

Just a few things to think over. Good luck if you go for it, and of course thank you for serving our great nation.

HELLO!
My name is Brad, and

I just read they are in high need of fighter pilots...that being the case they are offering a $225,000 signing bonus...no joke. its X amount of dollars over 9 years...id say your chances are pretty good. :D

I just read they are in high need of fighter pilots...that being the case they are offering a $225,000 signing bonus...no joke. its X amount of dollars over 9 years...id say your chances are pretty good. :D

As reported by Avweb:
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Air-Force-Offers-Bonus-To-Keep-Fighter-Pilots220197-1.html

Citing a shortage of qualified pilots, the U.S. Air Force has offered bonuses of up to $225,000 to active-duty aviators who re-enlist by September 30. The program requires a commitment of up to nine years. The purpose of the program is to retain highly qualified aircrew members at a fraction of the cost incurred to train new rated officers, said Lt. Col. Stuart Rubio, Air Force Rated Force Policy-Mobility Forces Chief. "In addition, we preserve a fully ready cadre of aircrew officers, eliminating years of necessary tempering and experience," he said. The Air Force hopes about 162 fighter pilots -- 65 percent of those eligible -- will take the new option, according to the Air Force Times. That would cost the Air Force about $36.7 million.
The bonuses are generous because there is a current and projected shortage of fighter pilots, Lt. Col. Kurt Konopatzke, chief of rated force policy, told the Times. Last year, the Air Force offered a bonus for fighter pilots if they extended their contracts for five years. “As we started looking at the data through FY 13 … we realized that the shortage hasn't gone away, and as a matter of fact, as we look at our projections, we think that shortage is going to continue for the next several years," Konopatzke said. Applicants must be lieutenant colonels and below with no more than 22 years of aviation service, qualified for operational flying duty, and entitled to and receiving aviator pay. Monetary incentives for those who qualify vary depending on aviator category and number of years he or she commits. Annual payments range from $15,000 to $25,000, with some categories eligible for 50 percent up front.

Well here is my 2 cents, been there done that.

Graduated from Embry-Riddle in the 70's with a BS in Aeronautical Science and Comm. Inst. CFI ratings. At that time almost a sure bet to to get into the USAF. Went to pilot training and graduated 3rd in my class. Had my choice of A/C /base. Chose C-141 and KWRI (wanted to be airline pilot). Got an Instructor assignment to Altus OK. Did not want that, so I got out. I applied and was accepted to a USAF Reserve unit at KWRI flying the same C-141 Aircraft, did that until my unit was disbanded. I retired after 22 years total service. (nice check every month). While in the Reserves got a job flying Gulfstreams for an Oil company. (another check). OK enough!

The way I see it:

Active Duty Air force: You will not fly long, to progress you will have to do non-flying jobs. Money is tight and current pilots not getting many hours. I also think that Drones will be the future.

Guard/Reserve: Best deal on earth! Stay flying your entire career but as previously stated very, very hard to get into. Most pilots came from active duty and were flying those A/C, need to know someone to get a pilot training slot from the get go.

Good luck! P/M if you would like more info.

ACG
LtCol USAFR (Ret.)
ATP, CFI A/I/ME

Last edited:
Your major has no bearing on aircraft that will be flown. What determines that is peers, instructors, and how well you do. Again I work with the simulators at CAFB and see this stuff day in day out. I see those that are always practicing and those are the ones to make fighters. Out of a class of like 20 only 4 to 5 make fighters, the rest go to drones or heavies.

I see a few students who come in guard or reserve. They know what they are going to fly before they get to UPT but it is a tough gig to get into. If you need any kind of waiver forget it. So the best bet is to network, it's al about who you know, for real!

But, it can be done, study hard and have fun. You have a plan so make it happen, either way you go will be great. Also when you get to MSU, I fly out of starkville and can take you flying if you want and can show you the simulators. Let me know!

Last edited:
Here's my 2 cents on this. I'm active duty AF as an aircraft mechanic.

Enlist. ROTC is a good gig, but not guarenteed. You still have to be selected to go to field training. You don't get selected, you're out. Not only are you out, but you have to repay the AF for the school you already completed. Say you are selected for field training, you may or may not get a flying job.

Benefits of enlisting over commissioning through ROTC:

-You get TA, 100% up to $1,500 per semester. If you're AD, you won't have time to take $1,500 worth of classes.

-You go to school, and earn a decent paycheck with no student loans or any worry about debt (unless you fail a class, you pay it back)

-If you find a school that offers a pilot program, your TA will pay for it.

It sounds like you're young (as am I). I looked into commissioning, but the risks to me outweigh the potential benefits. It is also a lot easier to make a career out of enlisted than it is as an officer.

As I said before, I'm an a/c mechanic, and I know a few pilots. I've asked them about commissioning to fly, and they said to get my degree while I'm enlisted, get my PPL and ratings, then get out.

That's just my 2 cents, and that's what is working for me. Might be different for you. Good luck.

Here's my 2 cents on this. I'm active duty AF as an aircraft mechanic.

Enlist. ROTC is a good gig, but not guarenteed. You still have to be selected to go to field training. You don't get selected, you're out. Not only are you out, but you have to repay the AF for the school you already completed. Say you are selected for field training, you may or may not get a flying job.

Benefits of enlisting over commissioning through ROTC:

-You get TA, 100% up to $1,500 per semester. If you're AD, you won't have time to take $1,500 worth of classes.

-You go to school, and earn a decent paycheck with no student loans or any worry about debt (unless you fail a class, you pay it back)

-If you find a school that offers a pilot program, your TA will pay for it.

It sounds like you're young (as am I). I looked into commissioning, but the risks to me outweigh the potential benefits. It is also a lot easier to make a career out of enlisted than it is as an officer.

As I said before, I'm an a/c mechanic, and I know a few pilots. I've asked them about commissioning to fly, and they said to get my degree while I'm enlisted, get my PPL and ratings, then get out.

That's just my 2 cents, and that's what is working for me. Might be different for you. Good luck.

Enlist: Bad advice! Just take a look at the pay scales for O/E. (retirement based on pay too!)

ACG
LtCol USAFR (Ret.)

Enlist: Bad advice! Just take a look at the pay scales for O/E. (retirement based on pay too!)

ACG
LtCol USAFR (Ret.)

At 21 years old and 3 years TIS I'm making ~$50,000 a year married with no kids. I wouldn't say pay is bad. Officer is definately higher, but I plan on commissioning through OTS that way if it doesn't work out I still am active duty. Like I said, this is what works for me, may be a different scenario for others.

Back