Am I locked in SSRI Path 2?

L

LostinSSRI

My lack of research before starting down my attempt at a Class III medical has really cost me. My mistake was believing FAA approved meds meant no problems.

I went to a standard AME, whose advise i would consider poor at best, and he submitted my application with me on meds.

My question is can I go off meds and reapply?

The costs for I've been quoted from a HIMS Psychologist $4000 and a HIMS Neuropsychologist $4-7000 seems pretty steep for something I do for fun. It seems these are DC prices. I would be willing to fly anywhere in the country to cut the prices down.

A lot depends on your specific situation. What meds, how long, etc.. the short answer is no you aren’t locked in, but there is more to it....need more info.

I've been on Lexapro for maybe three years, but it could be closer to two, for anxiety relating first because of a situation relating to my daughters health and then deciding to continue the meds as that was followed by a divorce.

No prior history of SSRI meds.

I had been thinking about discontinuing the meds prior, but decided after my summer Iceland vacation was cancelled due to covid to spend the money on a PPL.

Lexapro is NOT an approved med, that's your problem. There's no "official" list of approved meds, and the several unofficial ones indicate Lexapro is only allowed under special issuance.
Once you show up at the AME and apply, the AME (no matter how great he is), has no option but to defer you if you have the fact that you are using Lexapro.

Your problem is NOT that you're locked into Path II for all time, but you're in for a substantial delay because you just can't go back to an AME (even with 90 days off and a glowing report from your treating doc) and get a regular issuance while the existing one is pending. It's going to take significantly longer than the 90 days off the drug to resolve this. Your application will take longer than that to even be looked at in Joklahoma city.

Would you like to elaborate on the delay? How long before my case isn't considered pending?

I would like to add that the AME wasn't a HIMS AME and he presented it to me that the Lexapro wasn't a big deal and we just get some paperwork together and send it over. I expressed that I could go off meds and apply then, but I don't know if he just wanted my money or what, he just told me to come in and do the medical check.

The HIMS AME I contacted after the FAA
letter told me I would have to have a HIMS AME painted a VASTLY different picture that clearly meant that I should have gone off meds and waited.

So my question is what is the timeline for me to go off meds and apply again if that is even a thing? Or am I currently stuck paying $8-13K quoted on doing a psyc eval and cogscreen-ae and going path 2 for something I only do for fun?

Any suggestions on cheaper HIMS test sources would help as well.

Would you like to elaborate on the delay? How long before my case isn't considered pending?

I would like to add that the AME wasn't a HIMS AME and he presented it to me that the Lexapro wasn't a big deal and we just get some paperwork together and send it over. I expressed that I could go off meds and apply then, but I don't know if he just wanted my money or what, he just told me to come in and do the medical check.

The HIMS AME I contacted after the FAA
letter told me I would have to have a HIMS AME painted a VASTLY different picture that clearly meant that I should have gone off meds and waited.

So my question is what is the timeline for me to go off meds and apply again if that is even a thing? Or am I currently stuck paying $8-13K quoted on doing a psyc eval and cogscreen-ae and going path 2 for something I only do for fun?

Any suggestions on cheaper HIMS test sources would help as well.
Dear lost- as you have not yet had the $$isve evaluations:
The option path 1 route, will work only if you have only had ONE episode in your life.

If so, get to a board certified psychiatrist (not the PCP- have him refer you) and if it's okay with the psychiatrist, wean down off the med. The go back for a reassessment after 90 days.

Bring the PCP record and the 2 psychiatrist visit records to the AME an Apply AGAIN at that time and not before.

I am amazed at the great information that Dr Chien shares freely on this forum. It is extremely valuable, and I greatly regret not finding it before I started down this path well over a year ago. I have only been in contact with Dr. Chien for a few days but I now have a much better understanding of my options. Over the last year I have many HOURS of reading documents from the FAA web site, and numerous conversations with my PCP, AME, HIMS AME, AOPA, Oklahoma City, and countless Psychiatric practices. All of my research left me uncertain about what direction to head next. A couple of quick emails to and from Dr Chien have been very helpful (though not encouraging).

Based on my limited exposure, I am a big fan of Dr. Chien and what he does for aviators.

The original AME seems like he mis-advised the OP so poorly.... it should almost be malpractice.

The original AME seems like he mis-advised the OP so poorly.... it should almost be malpractice.
What choice does he have? If a guy shows up with an application and he's taking SSRI, he has NO choice but to defer.

What choice does he have? If a guy shows up with an application and he's taking SSRI, he has NO choice but to defer.
It’s not the fact that he deferred him. It’s the fact that the moronic AME mislead him in believing that being on lexapro was no big deal and required a little bit of paperwork.

It’s not the fact that he deferred him. It’s the fact that the moronic AME mislead him in believing that being on lexapro was no big deal and required a little bit of paperwork.

This

My lack of research before starting down my attempt at a Class III medical has really cost me. My mistake was believing FAA approved meds meant no problems.

I went to a standard AME, whose advise i would consider poor at best, and he submitted my application with me on meds.

My question is can I go off meds and reapply?

The costs for I've been quoted from a HIMS Psychologist $4000 and a HIMS Neuropsychologist $4-7000 seems pretty steep for something I do for fun. It seems these are DC prices. I would be willing to fly anywhere in the country to cut the prices down.

Can't advice on the rest, but my HIMS psychiatrist and neuropsychological testing cost me just under $2000 each (and the reports were good enough to get my medical back).

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back