Am I full of crap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a student that went to 100hrs before she earned her private pilot certificate. She flew with about 5 other instructors in that time, but wanted to fly with me. When I finally had an "ah ha" moment as an instructor was when I started thinking about what liminations from her past may she have that could affect her flying. After sitting down and talking with her - somewhere around the 50hr mark (no solo) I discovered she had cancer in her not too distant past. Sent her to see a colluege of hers and they determined she had the strenght and mobility to continue.... At 50 hrs I had the talk with her that if she doesn't get it by now (having flown with other instructors also) she just will not be able to safely operate a plane.

She, at my suggestion, took a 3 month break to work on muscle conditioning and after she came back and soloed I asked her if she would mind flying a couple long cross countries that would be the typical distance she would fly. She did great with that flying.... so why the rest of the hours to reach 100 before her checkride? A mix of breaking mental barriers and a transition to a much larger plane --- which because she was part owner of she had a huge incentive/ goal that she wanted to achieve and that added motivation was her springboard to the checkride. She flew the 206 better then she ever flew the 172.

At 175 hours and a CFI just springing things upon her.... It sounds more like the CFI is the type that won't turn down a student because it is steady income and the CFI has no interest in teaching only in either money or hours --- Otherwise he'd be very aware of the 80% rule :yesnod:

Throwing a student into a checkride he knew she'd fail is growing a spine? That's pretty weak if you ask me.

Instead of confront the problem head on, like he should, he sluffs it off to someone else?

You don't know what lead up to this point. You are getting one side of a story.

But you're inventing your version of the other side instead of leaving it open. You don't know the OP any more than the rest of us do.

My comments were based on the side of the story you keep inventing or rather interjecting as what you feel has happened. Which quite frankly makes me feel bad for you, as the alternate reality you keep suggesting gives insight into how you operate.

Last edited:
I'll give a little on the trim area, BUT who sends a student to a check ride that doesn't understand the airplane?:eek:
I'm in total agreement with you there.
If the husband still needs to be salvaging landings after 150+ hours, she needs 5 hours with a new CFI, and if she's not getting better, she needs to learn to be an interested passenger.:mad2:
I have nearly 800 hours and I sure wouldn't want to get into an airplane of a make/model I've never flown before and try to land it for the first time without someone capable of taking over in a pinch in the right seat. Of course he shouldn't have to salvage landings in whatever she's been training in! I'm assuming the airplane they will be flying is different, perhaps high performance and/or complex. And I still wouldn't fault him for not letting someone who isn't a named pilot on his insurance (I presume, since she's still a student pilot) land his airplane.

I'm in total agreement with you there.

I have nearly 800 hours and I sure wouldn't want to get into an airplane of a make/model I've never flown before and try to land it for the first time without someone capable of taking over in a pinch in the right seat. Of course he shouldn't have to salvage landings in whatever she's been training in! I'm assuming the airplane they will be flying is different, perhaps high performance and/or complex. And I still wouldn't fault him for not letting someone who isn't a named pilot on his insurance (I presume, since she's still a student pilot) land his airplane.

I guess, I'm assuming they would be flying the plane she is familiar with, but I would like to hear from the CFI or husband to get the rest of the story.:rolleyes:

My comments were based on the side of the story you keep inventing or rather interjecting as what you feel has happened. Which quite frankly makes me feel bad for you, as the alternate reality you keep suggesting gives insight into how you operate.

I'm using it to suggest an explanation for this all that makes some kind of sense. You're accepting that the CFIs actions were done out of no reason other than incompetence and/or malice. Does that make even the slightest sense to you? Does that conform to actions you are used to seeing in this type of setting? When in your experience do you typically see the type of behavior? Me, I typically see it at the end of a bad breakup...

I'm using it to suggest an explanation for this all that makes some kind of sense.

You're doing a better job of acting like your half of the story is fact.

You're accepting that the CFIs actions were done out of no reason other than incompetence and/or malice. Does that make even the slightest sense to you?

I'm not accepting anything. I couldn't care less about the OP's situation. It's not my job or desire to make up a fantasyland scenario in an attempt to rationalize a situation involving individuals who for all practical purposes could be living out this drama on Jupiter.. It concerns me less than none.

However, if the CFI threw a student into a checkride KNOWING they would bust in order to "break up" with his student, yes, I'd find malice and/or incompetence in that individual.

A CFI has a job to do, part of that job is to be forth coming enough to tell a student when enough is enough.

Allowing a student to pay for and take a ride he knew they'd bust is both incompetent and malicious.

It's low. It's wrong. As a CFI, he should man up enough and tell the student it's not working. I doubt very seriously she FORCED him to continue to fly with her.

Does that conform to actions you are used to seeing in this type of setting? When in your experience do you typically see the type of behavior? Me, I typically see it at the end of a bad breakup...

Your rationale makes no sense to me. What gets me is that the whole spineless throw her to the checkride shenanigans theory works for you. I.E. You appear to believe this is a perfectly legit way to cease relations with another person. That's weak. Borderline cowardice.

"Ahh, if I can get her to bust this checkride, she'll leave me alone!"

Ehh.. I'd personally feel like a schlup for recommending someone for a ride when they don't/can't use trim, but I take pride in sending students to their rides prepared, obviously not all do. Again, that's assuming he knew she would bust. He may have thought she was really ready but would never commit. I have no idea.

You've obviously been through more bad breakups than I have. Your rationale is akin to allowing yourself to be caught with another woman, by your current woman, in an effort to facilitate the break up.

Nonsensical shenanigans.

If it's over, call it over. Don't go looking for some ploy to end it.

Just. End. It.

Maybe she needs to out the instructor publicly and one of us who has too much time on their hands can call him up and see if we could wrangle him into a game of MessageBoard Roulette?

I'll bet if "Sam" had started this instead of "Sara", this thread would have been over several pages ago. Female trolls are cuter and get fed more.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll bet if "Sam" had started this instead of "Sara", this thread would have been over several pages ago.
I certainly agree with this.

Female trolls are cuter and get fed more.....

I don't think Sara is a troll. She doesn't repeatedly post to keep a thread going that is completely off aviation topic like another female poster/troll which I shall leave nameless.

Im pretty sure Sara just wanted to vent.

Last edited:
Just come on out to Nebraska and we'll see if we can get to the bottom of it. Maybe it's something in your water.

Yes, but you're not the only one on this thread. :lol:

carrzkiss_04-26-13-Mar-15-2011_houseunderbridge.jpg

I certainly agree with this.

I don't think Sara is a troll. She doesn't repeatedly post to keep a thread going that is completely off aviation topic like another female poster/troll which I shall leave nameless.

Im pretty sure Sara just wanted to vent.

Me? I made one post to this thread, #26. Interesting how you have to throw female in there like that's a dirty word. Of course plenty of others can repeatedly post their endless theories and no one calls them a troll. Screw you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back