Am I being overly cautious?

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
I was going to go flying this evening- specifically heading over to the practice area to do stalls/steep turns. Before leaving the house I checked the NOTAMs and found this

!EAU 06/090 EAU AIRSPACE AEROBATIC AREA WITHIN AREA DEFINED AS 5NM EAU265016.6(LUM) SFC-4000FT AVOIDANCE ADVISED 1406221730-1406222030EST
!EAU 06/087 EAU AIRSPACE AEROBATIC AREA WITHIN AREA DEFINED AS 5NM
RADIUS OF EAU265016.6 (LUM) SFC-4000FT AVOIDANCE ADVISED 1406211730-1406212030
!EAU 06/086 EAU AIRSPACE AEROBATIC AREA WITHIN AREA DEFINED AS 1NM
RADIUS OF EAU265016.6 (LUM) SFC-4500FT AVOIDANCE ADVISED 1406201800-1406202359

I happen to just know it's for this event http://www.menomonieairfest.com/

I decided not to go, both practice areas I've been sent to by CFIs are right next to KLUM, we're frequently turning around during practice sessions to avoid flying over it. With the aerobatic activity and potentially higher than normal traffic in the area heading there for tomorrow's activities I decided to stay home.

First good WX day I was free in a while.... next couple of days are supposed to be good too but same event is going on. Should I maybe just give up this weekend and drive over to check the thing out? Should I just do my practice sometime outside the time range specified by the NOTAMs? Am I being too careful here?

If I was planning to actually go someplace I'd just climb out as quickly as possible, get flight following, and not worry about it but the NOTAM is surface to 4000' and I'm practicing around 3500 typically... it just seems like a bad idea to be so near there maneuvering around.

Yes, you're being WAY overly cautious. They will be in the box. If you're worried stay out of the box. I wouldn't even be worried, I'd just be on the lookout for upside-down planes.

If you're going to wait for everything to be perfect before you go fly then you might as well give up cause it ain't ever gonna happen.

Just go practice someplace else? You could always ask your instructor for suggestions.

I did talk to him and he pretty much suggested that. The only practice areas we've ever done are to the NW or SW of our airport... which is pretty much N or S of LUM. He suggested I just go to the East.

I think that's a good plan. NE over the river is a pretty empty area.

I'd look at a chart and go to another area out of the way. There should be plenty of options to consider. Yes, run it by the instructor if need be.

"Practice area" - A place to practice your emergency near-mid-air survival skills and anywhere between them and the closest airport. ;)

Back