Always have a plan B...or C

3Y3Flyer

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
3Y3Flyer
Coming home to IA a couple weeks ago from TX, and had to lay up at KEMP. Ceilings were too low to shoot the approach into our home field so we spent the night, knowing we most likely would have to leave the plane and rent a car to get home the next day as the scud was looking like it was going to stick around for awhile. Sure enough the next day was crap...called every rental car company and none would rent us a car one way, so plan C...

upload_2021-7-4_16-51-34.jpeg upload_2021-7-4_16-52-22.jpeg

yup yup. We've had squadron members rent a U-haul to drive back to base after getting stranded with a broke jet off-station, stumbling upon the same situation with the lack of access to one way rentals. Works in a pinch.

Our nephew did that even before the pandemic. He’s under 25, so couldn’t get a rental car. But, he could get a pick-up from U-haul, $19.95/day + mileage, and he didn’t need to go far. Best part is he is a fireman and often drives the fire truck, but couldn’t get a rental car due to his age. o_O

Our nephew did that even before the pandemic. He’s under 25, so couldn’t get a rental car. But, he could get a pick-up from U-haul, $19.95/day + mileage, and he didn’t need to go far. Best part is he is a fireman and often drives the fire truck, but couldn’t get a rental car due to his age. o_O
I’ve flown with jet captains that have that problem.

I remember those days. Only one national rental car (I think it was Dollar) would rent to me when I was young and travelling on my own. When traveling on government travel orders, they'd rent to me. In fact, this was about the only time I ever had to show travel orders to anybody on all the government travel I did over the years.

Back