Aluminum Polishing

JohnWF

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John at Salida
I posted this on another web site, but wanted to share it on this site too.

I have an RV-12 that is mostly bare aluminum with only the fiberglass and a side strip that was painted.

After reading about the rather complex system of polishing aluminum, that is, lots of different grits, various bonnets for expensive electric polishers, I gave up on the idea of polishing the bare skin. Then I ran into comments about a product called Purple Metal Polish, to be used with that company's aluminum deoxidizer and simple hand rubbing to produce a shine.

Having fallen too many times for snake oil products, I nonetheless bought a bottle of each (made by California Custom and sold by various stores) and tried it.

Wow !! A simple rub on, and rub off by hand and a mirror-like shine is produced. This stuff really works. If you are thinking about polishing a bare metal plane you might want to try this..I am going to do the entire plane.

I have no commercial connection with this product, but wanted to pass along information on a product that finally does what it promises.

+1 I use it on the Arrow's spinner. Easy to use and works great. I try to be careful about what I get the first step product. I bet it could remove something you don't want removed if spilled.

Here is the problem with the acid etch systems on airplanes, it gets in the seams and starts corrosion where the mineral crystals remain after the water dries, sucking in humidity and drying over and over. Not good in my book, I wouldn't do it. A rag wheel on an angle grinder makes quick work of it. I believe Stewart Systems also has an acceptable alternative.

I would want to study the MSDS ph and chemical make up of the stuff.

Like Henning said, EVERYTHING you put on your plane makes it's way into the seams and resides there.

I use Zephyr Pro 40 for light touch up. It wipes off easy. For a cut job and a real polish, I use Nuvite C grade with a rotary wheel followed by Nuvite S grade with a cyclo orbital. Final polish is the cyclo with micro-fiber towel over the pads.

Polishing is all about smoothness of the metal.

When you understand this, it all comes together. :redface:

Love that airplane (C170)?

Can't help with the product selection, but can help with the paint / polish conversation a little:

I've seen several early Bonanzas with polished aluminum. Stunning to look at. Also seen a global swift all polished up. Really would love to do that to my -35 and I have a guy that can help..

In then end, everyone says that it's all about the elbow grease. I'm just too lazy for that, so I'm keeping the paint.

brian];1556241 said:
Love that airplane (C170)?

Can't help with the product selection, but can help with the paint / polish conversation a little:

I've seen several early Bonanzas with polished aluminum. Stunning to look at. Also seen a global swift all polished up. Really would love to do that to my -35 and I have a guy that can help..

In then end, everyone says that it's all about the elbow grease. I'm just too lazy for that, so I'm keeping the paint.

C-180.

From experience I'll say you can count on devoting about a week (or 40 man hours) each year to polishing, touch up, and wiping and cleaning if you want to keep it looking decent.

Polishers are always wiping something if you observe one for long. You get fuel, you wipe, you fly through rain, you wipe, you see anything on the metal, you wipe. They're not too practical for a plane that get's the crap used out of it. :nonod:

Is there anything lower maintenance than just paint?

I happen to like shinny aircraft and know that it is difficult to obtain, but as an older structural guy I am not sure the long term effect of using this agent or other etching agents on aircraft skins and fasteners. I happen to belong to an aircraft engineering group where questions can be asked and answered such as the long term effect of aluminum deoxidizer agents. My concern is what does the etching agent do the fasteners as it seeps under them as well as getting into seams.

Today I ask the engineering group their input to see what the longterm effects will be using an etching agent. I am aware the aircraft manufactures would not like any one to use products they have not recommended. However, I did read the MSDS and this agent seems mild, but it is still an etching agent. For those that have used this product what does it look like around rivets the heads where the agent was? My concern is most skins are made from 2024 copper alloy material and the rivets are 2024 and 2017 zinc alloy what effects with the etching have on these rivets?

When I get an answer back form the aerospace engineering group I will post it.

Back