Aluminium wing aircraft?

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
I've seen a lot of aircraft with aluminum wing structure, but I'm concerned about buying /maintaining one. Aluminum has really crappy fatigue properties and at some point will fail. Plus, corrosion - there are so many places in this country where aircraft are subject to moist air / condensation/ etc. Not to mention animals nesting inside. What if you only can find a tie down? Don't you really need to keep aluminum skinned aircraft in a hangar? Leaving them on a tie down is just asking for the aircraft to be totaled in the event of a hail storm - right?

Am I over thinking this, or is it really that much better to stick to wood/fabric?

Two words:
Cor Rosion.
Metal Fatigue.
Tin Can.

I've seen a lot of aircraft with aluminum wing structure, but I'm concerned about buying /maintaining one. Aluminum has really crappy fatigue properties and at some point will fail. Plus, corrosion - there are so many places in this country where aircraft are subject to moist air / condensation/ etc. Not to mention animals nesting inside. What if you only can find a tie down? Don't you really need to keep aluminum skinned aircraft in a hangar? Leaving them on a tie down is just asking for the aircraft to be totaled in the event of a hail storm - right?

Am I over thinking this, or is it really that much better to stick to wood/fabric?
Aluminum skinned aircraft is just a passing fad

Last edited:

You really want to see things turn to crap tie down a Cirrus out in the sun of Arizona for 10 years.

Buffs are made from Aluminum and have been in continuous service for how long?

Buffs are made from Aluminum and have been in continuous service for how long?
I had to google it. This is what I got. Seems aluminum would only be used for buffs if you’re afraid of black helicopters or aliens.

6BB8D4AE-3906-4C49-B2AD-EF10C6079DDD.jpeg

Why would you want aluminum when it’s been determined that the perfect airplane has concrete wings and a dive prop?

It’s the perfect solution to the traffic pattern wars - the lower airplane has the right of way. You can beat everyone to the ground with your concrete airplane and dive prop!

Why would you want aluminum when it’s been determined that the perfect airplane has concrete wings and a dive prop?

It’s the perfect solution to the traffic pattern wars - the lower airplane has the right of way. You can beat everyone to the ground with your concrete airplane and dive prop!

is the dive prop for underwater operation?

What if you only can find a tie down? Don't you really need to keep aluminum skinned aircraft in a hangar?

If I had to leave a plane on a tie down, I’d prefer aluminum over composite. I’ve seen a Cirrus that was parked in the California sun for 10+ years and it was much worse looking than an aluminum plane would look after twice that time. Not sure what fabric would look like under the same conditions.

Leaving them on a tie down is just asking for the aircraft to be totaled in the event of a hail storm - right?

Yes, but there is insurance. (Not that I’d want to be on a tiedown year round.)

Is this for research for a new history channel show?

"when goofy things fly" "re-possessing amphibious submarines" "why aliens fly helicopters" "Roswell bachelorette"

Aren’t those typically sold under the name Piper?

Back