Alton bay ice runway

Discussion in 'Cool Places to Fly' started by Matthew Rogers, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Dave Theisen

Dave Theisen En-Route PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Theisen
    20 days Is a record? This is on my bucket list, but having to make the trip from Georgia only to find out it wasn’t open that day would suck.

2. scottfromboston

scottfromboston Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Scott
    Hey Dave,

I forget the exact phrasing from the airport manager, but there was some record of note (it may have been the string of open days later in the season).

How long would it take you to get up here? If the place is open and there's continuing good weather (overnight temps below freezing, days not too warm, no/limited precip) it's probably predictable out to that time frame (3-4 days), but you'll need to be ready to go, and have some flexibility.

Glad to help you out around here if you decide to make the plunge. Most of my trips have been in February.

3. SOB8604

SOB8604 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    OB
    They were saying it was a banner year, close to 200+ aircraft movements, and just that one mishap.

I wasn't gonna bring my plane up, but am close enough to drive. Never made it...bummer. Next best thing will be taking the family boat down to Alton Bay for some ice cream in a few months!

4. azure

azure Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    azure
    This is probably never going to be possible for me unless I can swing a private hangar here. New problem is that the FBO owner has been keeping irregular hours and is usually not around to prep the plane (pre-heat) and pull it out when I need it during the winter (community hangar, their rules). Add to that ramp conditions that can't be much better than the runway at Alton Bay, and I've only managed to get up in the air twice this winter, not counting a PnP mission just before Christmas.