Altitude Preselector - Which One and experience

GLMS_NC

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rick
Considering an Altitude Preselector for my Bo. I have a Century 41 Autopilot and I see there are a couple options available. I also have an ASPEN Pro PFD connected to a Garmin GTN GPS.

For those who fly regularly with one, which unit do you have & what is your experience? Do you use it regularly? I realize I can use the pitch modifier on the AP controller to set the descent rate and press the ATT to hold that. Then press ALT when I reach my desired Altitude and we are all set. With the Preselector it is much easier, but it is another device where I have to maintain baro settings.

Specific to the Century I see I can use the APS4A unit (which works with several autopilot brands) and the Century 1D960 unit. Others work as well?

The Century unit is about 2.5x the price of the APS4A unit. The APS4A unit looks pretty good, is easy to use, easy to connect, but with a Century AP is not covered by the STC. Apparently only the KFC200 is included in the STC. This mandates a DER to legally use.

Even if you fly with a non-century AP but have Preselector capability, share your experiences.

GR

I use mine all the time, VFR and IFR. Even if the AP is not engaged, it's a good reminder so you don't bust altitude.

I've had good experiences with stec products.

Back