Altimeter Oscillation - Any Ideas?

FreqFlyrJr

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
LuckyLindy
My father and I were on our way back from a short dinner-hop last night (as a good-tasting way for me to build some time) and we were on an IFR flight plan. At the time of this story, we were in Visual Conditions and kept visual for the remainder of the flight.

About half way through the flight, the one's needle in our altimeter began bouncing about 50-feet high, then 50-feet low, then repeated. It would do this consistently with about three bounces a second.

My first instinct was the pull the alternate static, which did not have any effect on the altimeter; however it did show the expected changes on the airspeed and VSI. So it wasn't the static source.

I looked on my GPS units and noticed that our Pressure Altitude was 4,200ft while we were indicating 4,000. We were about ten miles from the destination airport, so we canceled IFR and continued VFR.

Another note we found before landing was that the altimeter showed an accurate non-bouncing indication during climbs and descents more than about a hundred feet. However, in straight and level, it oscillated.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Drain the water out of the static system...

Drain the water out of the static system...

Typical symptom of water in the line.

This is what I was leaning towards. We had some water in one of our static ports once, but didn't pay it attention because it didn't effect us once we took off.

Do you think the water has made its way into the instrument yet? If so, what damage could it do to the instrument?

Last edited:
It probably won't ever make it to the instrument. It could freeze and expand and damage wherever it is, probably a low point in a line. It could evaporate eventually if the port is left open.

For a sustained oscillation in level flight, wouldn't there also have to be a slight air leak in the static line downstream of the water location?

For a sustained oscillation in level flight, wouldn't there also have to be a slight air leak in the static line downstream of the water location?

We've consulted our maintenance manual and it's unfortunately saying that's a possibility as well. We're going to drain the lines and fly it again to see if that helps. If not, we'll probably have the whole system examined just to be safe.

Back