Altimeter mount template

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I have a United Instruments altimeter sitting on my desk I bought off eBay a while back to track baro pressure in the area and just to have it as a desk item.

I'd like to finally mount it inside a wooden case (for protection and look), but I'm having difficulties finding a template for mounting the altimeter. .....since it doesn't only include the face of the altimeter, but also the baro setting knob.

Does anyone have a template for mounting a 3" faced [United] altimeter? I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Jason

I'm having trouble understanding the problem. What specifically is difficult?

Decide method of construction of the box.

Choose your material for construction of the box.

Use a compass to mark the cutout.

Cut and drill the holes.

Apply fasteners and glue as required.

Or, send it to me, tell me the look you want, I'll take it from there.

Richard said:
I'm having trouble understanding the problem. What specifically is difficult?

Decide method of construction of the box.

Choose your material for construction of the box.

Use a compass to mark the cutout.

Cut and drill the holes.

Apply fasteners and glue as required.

Or, send it to me, tell me the look you want, I'll take it from there.
You're right, but I will not glue the altimeter, but rather fasten it with screws, much like a panel mount.

The problem with mounting an altimeter is that the parts that stick out aren't completely circular. Yes, the face is, but add in the knob. (See attached)

I have an idea that wouldn't require a template, but if anyone has one, feel free to PM me.

Jason

Attachments

• altim.jpg
    altim.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 20
step one: trace the altimeter
step two: use a dremel or jigsaw to cut the hole
step three: enjoy
:D

SkyHog said:
step one: trace the altimeter
step two: use a dremel or jigsaw to cut the hole
step three: enjoy
:D
Steps 1 and 3 sound great! ....how do you trace the altimeter if there's a 1" knob sticking out? You can't quite set the altimeter face down, or it will be cocked sideways by the pertruding (sp?) knob.

My new idea is to trace a 3" circle (using a compass). Also - cut a line along a piece of paper that would conform to the inside of the knob, trace the metal knob-enclosure and then trace that one onto the 3" template in the proper location.

Jason

Jason I think the problem is, by the time you find the exact template and get it from someone and then resize it after electronic transmission, cut it out - you could have spent a few moments with pencil paper and scissors, hole punch and made one. If you had access to a disassembled instrument panel it would be a cinch, just put the paper on the back and trace it out!

HPNPilot1200 said:
Steps 1 and 3 sound great! ....how do you trace the altimeter if there's a 1" knob sticking out? You can't quite set the altimeter face down, or it will be cocked sideways by the pertruding (sp?) knob.Jason
Jason, first thing, punch a hole for the adjustment knob. Once you have a hole sufficient for that, push it on through - then the face of the altimeter will be flush against the paper or cardboard and you can simply trace it from the back.

It's easy! ;)

etsisk said:
Jason, first thing, punch a hole for the adjustment knob. Once you have a hole sufficient for that, push it on through - then the face of the altimeter will be flush against the paper or cardboard and you can simply trace it from the back.

It's easy! ;)

Doh! ...you mean a brain is required? :rofl:

Thanks,

Jason

The great thing, Jason, is that you can make a whole bunch of trial efforts, on paper, until you find one which fits perfectly. You will then have your perfect template.

Or, you could do it the government way, hire an engineering and fabrication shop to measure, make drawings, have check-offs, write a CNC program and mill or laser cut it. That'd be in a union shop, so you'd have all the actual work done by an apprentice, while the journeyman watched (and read a magazine).

Yesterday, I was browsing through an Aircraft & Spruce catalog and came across a page with templates for instrument holes. Today I tried to find that same page in their online catalog (yesterday it was a paper catalog in my hangar) and I failed to locate it. If you have access to such a catalog I think the templates were near their instrument pages perhaps at the end of that section. If not, I'll get the page number next time I go to the airport. BTW this wasn't something you order from them, the templates were printed full size on the catalog page for you to use (for free).

lancefisher said:
Yesterday, I was browsing through an Aircraft & Spruce catalog and came across a page with templates for instrument holes. Today I tried to find that same page in their online catalog (yesterday it was a paper catalog in my hangar) and I failed to locate it. If you have access to such a catalog I think the templates were near their instrument pages perhaps at the end of that section. If not, I'll get the page number next time I go to the airport. BTW this wasn't something you order from them, the templates were printed full size on the catalog page for you to use (for free).

Thanks Lance,

I just ordered a copy of their catalog.

Jason

Never received the catalog in time, but we managed to wing it and do it another way....

See attached,

Jason

Attachments

• altimeter.jpg
    altimeter.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 34
Back