Alternator info?

hifly

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
hifly
Calling any alternator gurus: I have a 14 volt alternator on my O360 with no markings whatsoever. It may have had a sticker on it when new, but if so, the sticker is long gone. No log entries so the alternator may be older than I am. I would like to replace it.

My plane (Tailwind) has a B&C LR3C-14 voltage regulator. I happen to have a new japanese automotive alternator which is identical to the one on my previous plane (an RV6 also with an O360).

Does anyone know about compatibility between an automotive alternator and the B&C regulator? Are aviation alternators somehow different than automotive alternators (electrically)?
Thanks for any info.

A lot of car alternators are internally regulated. You’d need to have some information about the alternators you’re trying to compare to make a decision on compatibility.

Not too much useful information to contribute, but many of the alternators are essentially Chrysler alternators. Why aviation didn't move to internally regulated like automotive is a mystery. OK, maybe not....FAA....

If your aircraft is experimental, you may have the option to move to an internally regulated automotive alternator, or, take your existing alternator to have it rebuilt using an automotive alternator rebuilder.

Essentially ANCIENT Chrysler alternators. Your Parts and MX manuals will have images to distinguish between them.
One thing to look for if you decide to experiment is do both the old and replacement alternators spin in the same direction?

Why aviation didn't move to internally regulated like automotive is a mystery. OK, maybe not....FAA....
The pilot needs the ability to shut the alternator down while in flight. The internally regulated alternator does not provide that.

Essentially ANCIENT Chrysler alternators. Your Parts and MX manuals will have images to distinguish between them.
One thing to look for if you decide to experiment is do both the old and replacement alternators spin in the same direction?
Many, many were Ford alternators. That's about all you will find on Cessnas.

Alternators will generate in either direction. They are AC units, after all, and the diodes turn that into DC. I ran an alternator backward on my inboard boat. Worked fine. The only thing is the fan: I found one that had straight vanes instead of the more common angled vanes.

Off the top of my head, I’ve seen Chrysler, Ford, Prestolite, and Motorola alternators used in many of the older aircraft. I only recall seeing Delco generators. That doesn’t account for any STCd alternator options.

So without seeing at least a photo of what you’re trying to replace, everyone is just guessing.

My Cessna had an AutoLite, until I pitched it and installed a B&C. My Cub has the accessory case-mounted B&C alternator. Both have been perfect. I’d recommend spending the money on a B&C.

Thanks everyone. I found some instructions for converting a nippondenso alternator (eliminate internal regulation). It is almost identical to the one I want to replace--pics attached.

Attachments

• PXL_20230913_160858771.jpg
    PXL_20230913_160858771.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230913_160910697.jpg
    PXL_20230913_160910697.jpg
    899.3 KB · Views: 7
Back