Alternator Belt Adjustment

Keith Lane

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Keith Lane
Is it legal for an owner to adjust his or her own alternator belt?
I had a new one installed at annual last year, and I'd like to snug it up a tad as it has seemed to have "worn in" a little. I've done all my own )and a lot of other people's) auto work all my life so skill isn't the problem. I just don't want to get crosswise wit de' Man. I'd have to get an A/P to come out or fly to one. Either way a pretty expensive belt adjustment.
It's a C-172L w/ an O-320 E2D. Just wondering.
Thanks,
Keith

Keith Lane said:

Not on a certified aircraft. OTOH, who's going to know? Do you know how to judge the correct tension?

Keith Lane said:
I had a new one installed at annual last year, and I'd like to snug it up a tad as it has seemed to have "worn in" a little. I've done all my own )and a lot of other people's) auto work all my life so skill isn't the problem. I just don't want to get crosswise wit de' Man. I'd have to get an A/P to come out or fly to one. Either way a pretty expensive belt adjustment.
It's a C-172L w/ an O-320 E2D. Just wondering.
Thanks,
Keith

§ 43.3 Persons authorized to perform maintenance, preventive maintenance, rebuilding, and alterations.

(g) Except for holders of a sport pilot certificate, the holder of a pilot certificate issued under part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under part 121, 129, or 135 of this chapter. The holder of a sport pilot certificate may perform preventive maintenance on an aircraft owned or operated by that pilot and issued a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category.

The rub is adjusting a belt isn't listed under preventative maint, nor is it listed under any other catagory excluding it from preventative maint, see here . Considering the compexity of other jobs that are allowed, I think they just forgot to list it. I don't think you'd be running afoul of the man on this one, but you could write to the FAA Chief Council for clarification:rolleyes: .

Thanks, Everybody, I'll ask the local A/P guru who would probably do it for free, if I bought him breakfast. It does seem that since you can change oil, and such, that it is a fairly minor thing. However, I like checking "No" on that box about "Have you been in Deep Doo Doo with Uncle FAA in the last year?" at insurance time....

:yes:

Keith, ask your mechanic if there is a warranty with installing new belts? Just kidding. When I was working full time in the shop I would do the small stuff as a customer service I am sure your A&P will do the same.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you, but I am one of de' Man, who has been there and done that. The correct answer is yes, you can tighten the belt, if you have the proper tools and current manual to follow, however you can not return it to service this would require an A&P.

Stache

Stache said:
I am one of de' Man

Thank you for being one o "de Man".......but not da "PoliceMan", Stache.

I believe your attitude helps gen. aviation to be safer.

Stache said:
Keith, ask your mechanic if there is a warranty with installing new belts? Just kidding. When I was working full time in the shop I would do the small stuff as a customer service I am sure your A&P will do the same.

Maybe I shouldn't tell you, but I am one of de' Man, who has been there and done that. The correct answer is yes, you can tighten the belt, if you have the proper tools and current manual to follow, however you can not return it to service this would require an A&P.

Stache

Oh, no! It's the man! Quick, hide the evidence.

Thanks Stache for all the help and advice you give.

Stache said:

Stache

Hey Stache, can you answer, did they just forget to list this little item, or is there a specific technical reason it isn't on the owner operator list?

I intentionally left it out, because some people have a reason not to trust de’ man and I fully understand that. However I am a different type of man and believe education and sharing knowledge helps a lot more. Being one who has worked and owed an aviation business and now works for the Dark Side I know the pit falls more clearly. I’d like to help people avoid the pit falls if I can.

Stache

Back